Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    More fun in Russia. Two of the three Nephites out for a bike ride.

If any of my kids ever go to Russia on a mission, I just want to keep them off of bikes. Also, no cars. And no trains. I'm sure there are people they can teach at the airport until it's time to catch a plane home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      If any of my kids ever go to Russia on a mission, I just want to keep them off of bikes. Also, no cars. And no trains. I'm sure there are people they can teach at the airport until it's time to catch a plane home.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• https://video.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/...0b&oe=55E9FB68

Comment

• It's better with some awesome music:

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Did anyone else catch stage 10 of the Vuelta? Check out this stage profile:

It was pretty cool to watch...although Aru took the red jersey. I don't know why, but I hate Aru...maybe it's the Astana jersey
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Cycling Miscellany

The vuelta has been a mess this year. So many accidents and race ending injuries to big names (Sagan, froome, teejay etc.) that it has really taken some of the joy out of it for me.
              Last edited by creekster; 09-05-2015, 11:38 AM.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                The vuelta has been a mess this year. So many accidents and race ending injuries to big names (Sagan, froome, talansky etc.) that it has really taken some of the joy out of it for me.
                And Spain is ugly.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Well, ugly seems a bit harsh. But it isn't France.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• If you're bored this year and you want to go after a record here is one for you.

http://www.bicycling.com/culture/peo...en-in-one-year

Over 200 miles a day for a year. Lotoja everyday.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      If you're bored this year and you want to go after a record here is one for you.

http://www.bicycling.com/culture/peo...en-in-one-year

Over 200 miles a day for a year. Lotoja everyday.
                      I read he broke the record. An insane amount of mileage. I can't even imagine it. Saddle soreness?
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Riding in the rain is such a pain. It takes as long to clean your bike as the ride took.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• A weird coincidence happened this weekend l. I have been into bikes, especially mountain bikes, for 30 years. I had subscriptions to Bike and Mountain Bike magazines for years. I know most of the brand names, backgrounds, and reputation of most of the major bike companies.

This weekend I saw two references to a bike I hadn't thought about in at least 15 years. The Allsop Softride mountain bike.

The first was in an old interview with Rob Roskopp, founder of Santa Cruz bicycles (and famous 80's skateboarder). He was asked what the worst innovation he had ever seen in mountain biking, and he said it was the Allsop Softride.

Then the next day, I saw a friend of a friend post a picture of himself on an Allsop Softride mountain bike on Facebook.

I'm trying to figure out what the universe is trying to tell me here. It better not be to track one down and buy one.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                            A weird coincidence happened this weekend l. I have been into bikes, especially mountain bikes, for 30 years. I had subscriptions to Bike and Mountain Bike magazines for years. I know most of the brand names, backgrounds, and reputation of most of the major bike companies.

This weekend I saw two references to a bike I hadn't thought about in at least 15 years. The Allsop Softride mountain bike.

The first was in an old interview with Rob Roskopp, founder of Santa Cruz bicycles (and famous 80's skateboarder). He was asked what the worst innovation he had ever seen in mountain biking, and he said it was the Allsop Softride.

Then the next day, I saw a friend of a friend post a picture of himself on an Allsop Softride mountain bike on Facebook.

I'm trying to figure out what the universe is trying to tell me here. It better not be to track one down and buy one.
                            I think that is EXACTLY what the universe is trying to tell you. Please post photos when your quest is completed.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                              A weird coincidence happened this weekend l. I have been into bikes, especially mountain bikes, for 30 years. I had subscriptions to Bike and Mountain Bike magazines for years. I know most of the brand names, backgrounds, and reputation of most of the major bike companies.

If I recall correctly, the Softride was originally designed for time trialing and triathlons, as supposedly it decreased the drag coefficient and made for a softer ride.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                If I recall correctly, the Softride was originally designed for time trialing and triathlons, as supposedly it decreased the drag coefficient and made for a softer ride.
                                I think it was a road bike design first. But with the explosion of suspension in mountain bikes in the 90's there was a minority that thought it was better to suspend the rider instead of the bike frame. Some companies made suspension handle bar stems and suspension seat posts.

There were some "creative" ideas out there, like:
                                Biopace chainrings, slightly oval supposedly to make pedaling more efficient.
                                image.jpg
                                The Slingshot bike, which flexed at the top tube/seat tube joint to proved an inchworm effect supposedly to make pedaling more efficient.
                                image.jpg
                                And some of the crazy weight saving tech. I remember seeing a beryllium frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X