Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Agree about the Utah weather right now, this is my favorite time of year to be out biking and running. Cooler temperatures and a summer of training make getting out really enjoyable.

I went on a ride Monday morning. I planned on about 40 miles along the Legacy Parkway, but I got a flat about 10 miles in. After fixing the flat, I altered my plans and ended up getting in some hill work in Bountiful while working my way back home.

I have been dreading getting a flat. When I got Gatorskin tires, I had to pay a bike shop to put them on because I couldn't get them on. Even the bike shop took 40 minutes and went through 4 tubes to get them on. And as I suspected, Gatorskins are awesome, but not completely thorn proof.

Knowing this, I bought a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It worked amazingly well, and I didn't end up with blisters on my thumbs or popping the new tube. It's pretty big, so it's not perfect for taking with you on rides, but if you use a Camelback it isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Agree about the Utah weather right now, this is my favorite time of year to be out biking and running. Cooler temperatures and a summer of training make getting out really enjoyable.

I went on a ride Monday morning. I planned on about 40 miles along the Legacy Parkway, but I got a flat about 10 miles in. After fixing the flat, I altered my plans and ended up getting in some hill work in Bountiful while working my way back home.

I have been dreading getting a flat. When I got Gatorskin tires, I had to pay a bike shop to put them on because I couldn't get them on. Even the bike shop took 40 minutes and went through 4 tubes to get them on. And as I suspected, Gatorskins are awesome, but not completely thorn proof.

Knowing this, I bought a Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. It worked amazingly well, and I didn't end up with blisters on my thumbs or popping the new tube. It's pretty big, so it's not perfect for taking with you on rides, but if you use a Camelback it isn't too bad.
    I picked up some gatorskins and was less than impressed.

I flatted the very first time I took them out, and 2 of the first three times. On one of my long rides I got 2 flats on the same ride.

Before the gatorskins, I was riding on some tires that were so old I was starting to see threads. I only flatted twice on those tires - thin as they were.

I know I've been riding more than in the past, but it is still pretty frustrating to flat that often on new tires that are supposed to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I picked up some gatorskins and was less than impressed.

I flatted the very first time I took them out, and 2 of the first three times. On one of my long rides I got 2 flats on the same ride.

Before the gatorskins, I was riding on some tires that were so old I was starting to see threads. I only flatted twice on those tires - thin as they were.

I know I've been riding more than in the past, but it is still pretty frustrating to flat that often on new tires that are supposed to be awesome.
    I've got a set of new Continental 4000s and a set of Michelin Pro 4's that I've been debating on using this weekend. I don't want trouble so I've been reading all the reviews and you get everything from these tires are dangerous to I've got 4000 miles on these tires and never had a flat. I'm going to ride on the 4000s tonight and see if I like them. One thing I learned one year at Lotoja was to go for a ride before Saturday with any new tires or tubes or any new adjustment you are doing for the race. It's a terrible feeling to be changing a tire with your start time only five minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I've got a set of new Continental 4000s and a set of Michelin Pro 4's that I've been debating on using this weekend. I don't want trouble so I've been reading all the reviews and you get everything from these tires are dangerous to I've got 4000 miles on these tires and never had a flat. I'm going to ride on the 4000s tonight and see if I like them. One thing I learned one year at Lotoja was to go for a ride before Saturday with any new tires or tubes or any new adjustment you are doing for the race. It's a terrible feeling to be changing a tire with your start time only five minutes away.
    I have put perhaps 5000 miles on my two sets of 4000s. They are my go-to tires. I have had two flats in three years, all the same weekend on the same stretch of glass - strewn road.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    I have put perhaps 5000 miles on my two sets of 4000s. They are my go-to tires. I have had two flats in three years, all the same weekend on the same stretch of glass - strewn road.
    That's great to hear, it's the set I'm leaning toward using.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I rode on Grand Prix 4000S last year and liked them. I never had any flats until the rear tire was worn quite thin. This year I bought some Michelin Pro4 Endurance and thought they were good tires and wore well. However, they didn't seem to roll as well as the Continentals and even felt a little sluggish at times. I'm not sure which model of the Pro4 you have, but the Endurance compares more to the Gatorskin, so your Pro4s may have a much different feel. I just put on a pair of Continentals before riding Saturday morning and they feel great.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

I ride Pro4's and love them. Flats are extremely rare.

20 miles in 95 degree plus heat, the air so thick you can cut it. Nasty weather.