No announcement yet.

Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all you jingoists out there, Americans showed very well in the UCI worlds in Yorkshire. Today an American kid, Quinn Simmons, soloed to a victory in the Junior mens road race and another american took third after out-sprinting the bunch he was riding with. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uc...-race/results/

Two days ago an American woman absolutely dominated the ITT, winning by over 1:30. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...ime-trial-live

In the Mens elite ITT Rohan Dennis, last seen quitting the TdF by throwing down his bike and climbing into the team car mid-stage, won by over a minute. Lawson Craddock, the plucky Texan who finished as the Lanterne Rouge of the 2018 TDF after cracking his scapula in the first stage (while wearing number 13, for those fo you pay attention to the numbers), finished in 6th.

The elite road race is the 29th with none of the usual suspects (Alaphilipe, Sagan, Gilbert, etc.) being American.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      For all you jingoists out there, Americans showed very well in the UCI worlds in Yorkshire. Today an American kid, Quinn Simmons, soloed to a victory in the Junior mens road race and another american took third after out-sprinting the bunch he was riding with. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uc...-race/results/

Two days ago an American woman absolutely dominated the ITT, winning by over 1:30. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...ime-trial-live

In the Mens elite ITT Rohan Dennis, last seen quitting the TdF by throwing down his bike and climbing into the team car mid-stage, won by over a minute. Lawson Craddock, the plucky Texan who finished as the Lanterne Rouge of the 2018 TDF after cracking his scapula in the first stage (while wearing number 13, for those fo you pay attention to the numbers), finished in 6th.

The elite road race is the 29th with none of the usual suspects (Alaphilipe, Sagan, Gilbert, etc.) being American.
      Thanks for keeping us informed. Good job so maybe there's hope down the road in the TdF?
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Racked up some major bonus points as I announced Mrs. PAC's main Christmas gift, a new ride. I had done a fair amount of research of the latest bikes, although mainly Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Orbea, Look, and Pinarello. I then told her she was getting a new bike (she hadn't asked for one and this was very unexpected) and the price range I was looking at but had her make the ultimate decision after some test rides. The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert. She has enjoyed her Look 566, but it has ten years and around 50,000 miles on it, so it's certainly time for a change. She's already in love with the electronic shifters.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Racked up some major bonus points as I announced Mrs. PAC's main Christmas gift, a new ride. I had done a fair amount of research of the latest bikes, although mainly Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Orbea, Look, and Pinarello. I then told her she was getting a new bike (she hadn't asked for one and this was very unexpected) and the price range I was looking at but had her make the ultimate decision after some test rides. The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert. She has enjoyed her Look 566, but it has ten years and around 50,000 miles on it, so it's certainly time for a change. She's already in love with the electronic shifters.
          That is awesome.

I am looking for a used bike for my wife and would be happy to take this off your hands, but I think your wife may be a bit taller than mine in my recollection.

Comment

Racked up some major bonus points as I announced Mrs. PAC's main Christmas gift, a new ride. I had done a fair amount of research of the latest bikes, although mainly Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Orbea, Look, and Pinarello. I then told her she was getting a new bike (she hadn't asked for one and this was very unexpected) and the price range I was looking at but had her make the ultimate decision after some test rides. The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert. She has enjoyed her Look 566, but it has ten years and around 50,000 miles on it, so it's certainly time for a change. She's already in love with the electronic shifters.
            I am very interested to see what she thinks of the electronic shifters after a few months. My main bike is going to be 20 years old next June and it still works great and feels like an old friend but I am starting to think about a new one. I hope you'll report more in the future.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              That is awesome.

I am looking for a used bike for my wife and would be happy to take this off your hands, but I think your wife may be a bit taller than mine in my recollection.
              I can think of no finer potential home for her Look than with Mrs. BP. But the missus is 5'7" and rides a 54 cm bike which would almost certainly be an uncomfortable fit.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              I am very interested to see what she thinks of the electronic shifters after a few months. My main bike is going to be 20 years old next June and it still works great and feels like an old friend but I am starting to think about a new one. I hope you'll report more in the future.
              I am, too, as I had been under the impression that the reviews would be mixed. But I polled a few friends with electronics, I was surprised that everyone one of them raved about them. But we'll see how it holds up and I'll let you know.

Comment

The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert.
                Dang! When did bikes get so expensive?

That's about as much as two of the three motorcycles in my garage. I think I'll stick with my two 20+ year old mountain bikes.

Comment

• I've decided to get a decent bike for my nine year old daughter (4'9 and a half). I have a son who is 21 months younger than her who will be taking it over in around a year. I bought him a bike for Christmas when he was five with 18 inch wheels that was a bit too big for him with the idea that my daughter would end up riding it around until he could grow into it. Now she's way too big for it and my son rides that bike around all the time. I think we've moved beyond Walmart or Target bikes for her.

There are no shortage of bike stores where I live, at least with respect to mountain bikes. Getting a Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, GT etc is not a problem. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch bike for her -- she doesn't mind getting a boys bike and in fact probably prefers it. In the alternative, I can get a bike with an extra small frame with 26 inch wheels but it appears as if Giant is one of the few who makes those. Specialized and Trek appear to be skipping 26 inch wheels and go directly to 27.5 inch wheels. The issue is my son is easily going to grow out of his current bike in around a year and I don't think he'll be able to ride a bike with 27.5 wheels with the XS frame.

So, I'm thinking about this bike right here.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/stomper-ace-24

I had a Raleigh bike on mission and have had two different Specialized after. The comparably priced Specialized 24 inch bike doesn't have disc brakes. I've never had any experience with GT. I'm worried because they're in the same conglomerate with Schwinn (but also Cannondale).
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    I've decided to get a decent bike for my nine year old daughter (4'9 and a half). I have a son who is 21 months younger than her who will be taking it over in around a year. I bought him a bike for Christmas when he was five with 18 inch wheels that was a bit too big for him with the idea that my daughter would end up riding it around until he could grow into it. Now she's way too big for it and my son rides that bike around all the time. I think we've moved beyond Walmart or Target bikes for her.

There are no shortage of bike stores where I live, at least with respect to mountain bikes. Getting a Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, GT etc is not a problem. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch bike for her -- she doesn't mind getting a boys bike and in fact probably prefers it. In the alternative, I can get a bike with an extra small frame with 26 inch wheels but it appears as if Giant is one of the few who makes those. Specialized and Trek appear to be skipping 26 inch wheels and go directly to 27.5 inch wheels. The issue is my son is easily going to grow out of his current bike in around a year and I don't think he'll be able to ride a bike with 27.5 wheels with the XS frame.

I had a Raleigh bike on mission and have had two different Specialized after. The comparably priced Specialized 24 inch bike doesn't have disc brakes. I've never had any experience with GT. I'm worried because they're in the same conglomerate with Schwinn (but also Cannondale).
                    GT started out as a BMX company and then morphed when mountain bikes became a thing. It's a good company but is now a conglomerate just like you stated. They make good bikes and just like the others the models get broken down by component groups.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes as she's not going to need anything special to stop. I'd focus more on weight. The last thing a nine-year-old needs is a heavy bike.

Comment

I've decided to get a decent bike for my nine year old daughter (4'9 and a half). I have a son who is 21 months younger than her who will be taking it over in around a year. I bought him a bike for Christmas when he was five with 18 inch wheels that was a bit too big for him with the idea that my daughter would end up riding it around until he could grow into it. Now she's way too big for it and my son rides that bike around all the time. I think we've moved beyond Walmart or Target bikes for her.

My wife has a 2009 Specialized FSR Expert Carbon with small frame that she would be willing to sell. My wife is 5' 1", so your daughter could probably fit it (lots of adjustment in the seat post). She's probably only ridden it a dozen times or so, and loves the bike, but after multiple shoulder and elbow surgeries, she doesn't think she'll get back on it.

20200407_185331-resized.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        My wife has a 2009 Specialized FSR Expert Carbon with small frame that she would be willing to sell. My wife is 5' 1", so your daughter could probably fit it (lots of adjustment in the seat post). She's probably only ridden it a dozen times or so, and loves the bike, but after multiple shoulder and elbow surgeries, she doesn't think she'll get back on it.
                        Man that blows. My body has really gone through the wringer over the years. Not sure I'll ever be what I consider 100%. Getting old stinks.

Comment

[ATTACH]10130[/ATTACH]
                          Wasn't that around a $3000 bike back in 2009?
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Wasn't that around a $3000 bike back in 2009?
                            She thinks she paid 2800, but it was worth it; she says it climbs like a dream. Come check it out if you want, make a reasonable offer, and it's yours.

Comment

She thinks she paid 2800, but it was worth it; she says it climbs like a dream. Come check it out if you want, make a reasonable offer, and it's yours.
                              I would but I don't think we live in the same part of the state.

Additionally, I can't imagine what I'm willing to spend on a bike that my kids will ride until my youngest is around 13-14 years old would be even a remotely acceptable offer for a bike like that.

My wife is over 5'9 so I don't think she could ride it either.

Comment

• The bike shops, at least in my neck of the woods, are doing amazingly well. The three I visited a couple weeks ago said they've never been busier. Everyone seems to have arrived on the same thought -- get the kids out of the house and tire them out with a long bike ride, plus it's spring. I made a trip to Wal Mart to buy a bike tube and that place is almost sold out of bikes too, other than tiny little kid bikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X