Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 672

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

  1. #631
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    22,649

    Default

    For all you jingoists out there, Americans showed very well in the UCI worlds in Yorkshire. Today an American kid, Quinn Simmons, soloed to a victory in the Junior mens road race and another american took third after out-sprinting the bunch he was riding with. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uc...-race/results/

    Two days ago an American woman absolutely dominated the ITT, winning by over 1:30. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...ime-trial-live

    In the Mens elite ITT Rohan Dennis, last seen quitting the TdF by throwing down his bike and climbing into the team car mid-stage, won by over a minute. Lawson Craddock, the plucky Texan who finished as the Lanterne Rouge of the 2018 TDF after cracking his scapula in the first stage (while wearing number 13, for those fo you pay attention to the numbers), finished in 6th.

    The elite road race is the 29th with none of the usual suspects (Alaphilipe, Sagan, Gilbert, etc.) being American.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  2. #632
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    For all you jingoists out there, Americans showed very well in the UCI worlds in Yorkshire. Today an American kid, Quinn Simmons, soloed to a victory in the Junior mens road race and another american took third after out-sprinting the bunch he was riding with. https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uc...-race/results/

    Two days ago an American woman absolutely dominated the ITT, winning by over 1:30. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...ime-trial-live

    In the Mens elite ITT Rohan Dennis, last seen quitting the TdF by throwing down his bike and climbing into the team car mid-stage, won by over a minute. Lawson Craddock, the plucky Texan who finished as the Lanterne Rouge of the 2018 TDF after cracking his scapula in the first stage (while wearing number 13, for those fo you pay attention to the numbers), finished in 6th.

    The elite road race is the 29th with none of the usual suspects (Alaphilipe, Sagan, Gilbert, etc.) being American.
    Thanks for keeping us informed. Good job so maybe there's hope down the road in the TdF?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  3. #633
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,991

    Default

    Racked up some major bonus points as I announced Mrs. PAC's main Christmas gift, a new ride. I had done a fair amount of research of the latest bikes, although mainly Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Orbea, Look, and Pinarello. I then told her she was getting a new bike (she hadn't asked for one and this was very unexpected) and the price range I was looking at but had her make the ultimate decision after some test rides. The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert. She has enjoyed her Look 566, but it has ten years and around 50,000 miles on it, so it's certainly time for a change. She's already in love with the electronic shifters.

  4. #634
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    7,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Racked up some major bonus points as I announced Mrs. PAC's main Christmas gift, a new ride. I had done a fair amount of research of the latest bikes, although mainly Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Orbea, Look, and Pinarello. I then told her she was getting a new bike (she hadn't asked for one and this was very unexpected) and the price range I was looking at but had her make the ultimate decision after some test rides. The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert. She has enjoyed her Look 566, but it has ten years and around 50,000 miles on it, so it's certainly time for a change. She's already in love with the electronic shifters.
    That is awesome.

    I am looking for a used bike for my wife and would be happy to take this off your hands, but I think your wife may be a bit taller than mine in my recollection.

  5. #635
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    22,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Racked up some major bonus points as I announced Mrs. PAC's main Christmas gift, a new ride. I had done a fair amount of research of the latest bikes, although mainly Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Orbea, Look, and Pinarello. I then told her she was getting a new bike (she hadn't asked for one and this was very unexpected) and the price range I was looking at but had her make the ultimate decision after some test rides. The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert. She has enjoyed her Look 566, but it has ten years and around 50,000 miles on it, so it's certainly time for a change. She's already in love with the electronic shifters.
    I am very interested to see what she thinks of the electronic shifters after a few months. My main bike is going to be 20 years old next June and it still works great and feels like an old friend but I am starting to think about a new one. I hope you'll report more in the future.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  6. #636
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    12,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    That is awesome.

    I am looking for a used bike for my wife and would be happy to take this off your hands, but I think your wife may be a bit taller than mine in my recollection.
    I can think of no finer potential home for her Look than with Mrs. BP. But the missus is 5'7" and rides a 54 cm bike which would almost certainly be an uncomfortable fit.

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I am very interested to see what she thinks of the electronic shifters after a few months. My main bike is going to be 20 years old next June and it still works great and feels like an old friend but I am starting to think about a new one. I hope you'll report more in the future.
    I am, too, as I had been under the impression that the reviews would be mixed. But I polled a few friends with electronics, I was surprised that everyone one of them raved about them. But we'll see how it holds up and I'll let you know.

  7. #637
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The winner turned out to be the Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    Dang! When did bikes get so expensive?

    That's about as much as two of the three motorcycles in my garage. I think I'll stick with my two 20+ year old mountain bikes.

  8. #638

    Default

    I've decided to get a decent bike for my nine year old daughter (4'9 and a half). I have a son who is 21 months younger than her who will be taking it over in around a year. I bought him a bike for Christmas when he was five with 18 inch wheels that was a bit too big for him with the idea that my daughter would end up riding it around until he could grow into it. Now she's way too big for it and my son rides that bike around all the time. I think we've moved beyond Walmart or Target bikes for her.

    There are no shortage of bike stores where I live, at least with respect to mountain bikes. Getting a Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, GT etc is not a problem. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch bike for her -- she doesn't mind getting a boys bike and in fact probably prefers it. In the alternative, I can get a bike with an extra small frame with 26 inch wheels but it appears as if Giant is one of the few who makes those. Specialized and Trek appear to be skipping 26 inch wheels and go directly to 27.5 inch wheels. The issue is my son is easily going to grow out of his current bike in around a year and I don't think he'll be able to ride a bike with 27.5 wheels with the XS frame.

    So, I'm thinking about this bike right here.

    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/stomper-ace-24

    I had a Raleigh bike on mission and have had two different Specialized after. The comparably priced Specialized 24 inch bike doesn't have disc brakes. I've never had any experience with GT. I'm worried because they're in the same conglomerate with Schwinn (but also Cannondale).
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  9. #639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I've decided to get a decent bike for my nine year old daughter (4'9 and a half). I have a son who is 21 months younger than her who will be taking it over in around a year. I bought him a bike for Christmas when he was five with 18 inch wheels that was a bit too big for him with the idea that my daughter would end up riding it around until he could grow into it. Now she's way too big for it and my son rides that bike around all the time. I think we've moved beyond Walmart or Target bikes for her.

    There are no shortage of bike stores where I live, at least with respect to mountain bikes. Getting a Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, GT etc is not a problem. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch bike for her -- she doesn't mind getting a boys bike and in fact probably prefers it. In the alternative, I can get a bike with an extra small frame with 26 inch wheels but it appears as if Giant is one of the few who makes those. Specialized and Trek appear to be skipping 26 inch wheels and go directly to 27.5 inch wheels. The issue is my son is easily going to grow out of his current bike in around a year and I don't think he'll be able to ride a bike with 27.5 wheels with the XS frame.

    So, I'm thinking about this bike right here.

    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/stomper-ace-24

    I had a Raleigh bike on mission and have had two different Specialized after. The comparably priced Specialized 24 inch bike doesn't have disc brakes. I've never had any experience with GT. I'm worried because they're in the same conglomerate with Schwinn (but also Cannondale).
    GT started out as a BMX company and then morphed when mountain bikes became a thing. It's a good company but is now a conglomerate just like you stated. They make good bikes and just like the others the models get broken down by component groups.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes as she's not going to need anything special to stop. I'd focus more on weight. The last thing a nine-year-old needs is a heavy bike.

  10. #640
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I've decided to get a decent bike for my nine year old daughter (4'9 and a half). I have a son who is 21 months younger than her who will be taking it over in around a year. I bought him a bike for Christmas when he was five with 18 inch wheels that was a bit too big for him with the idea that my daughter would end up riding it around until he could grow into it. Now she's way too big for it and my son rides that bike around all the time. I think we've moved beyond Walmart or Target bikes for her.

    There are no shortage of bike stores where I live, at least with respect to mountain bikes. Getting a Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, GT etc is not a problem. I'm thinking about getting a 24 inch bike for her -- she doesn't mind getting a boys bike and in fact probably prefers it. In the alternative, I can get a bike with an extra small frame with 26 inch wheels but it appears as if Giant is one of the few who makes those. Specialized and Trek appear to be skipping 26 inch wheels and go directly to 27.5 inch wheels. The issue is my son is easily going to grow out of his current bike in around a year and I don't think he'll be able to ride a bike with 27.5 wheels with the XS frame.

    So, I'm thinking about this bike right here.

    https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/stomper-ace-24

    I had a Raleigh bike on mission and have had two different Specialized after. The comparably priced Specialized 24 inch bike doesn't have disc brakes. I've never had any experience with GT. I'm worried because they're in the same conglomerate with Schwinn (but also Cannondale).
    My wife has a 2009 Specialized FSR Expert Carbon with small frame that she would be willing to sell. My wife is 5' 1", so your daughter could probably fit it (lots of adjustment in the seat post). She's probably only ridden it a dozen times or so, and loves the bike, but after multiple shoulder and elbow surgeries, she doesn't think she'll get back on it.

    20200407_185331-resized.jpg

  11. #641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    My wife has a 2009 Specialized FSR Expert Carbon with small frame that she would be willing to sell. My wife is 5' 1", so your daughter could probably fit it (lots of adjustment in the seat post). She's probably only ridden it a dozen times or so, and loves the bike, but after multiple shoulder and elbow surgeries, she doesn't think she'll get back on it.
    Man that blows. My body has really gone through the wringer over the years. Not sure I'll ever be what I consider 100%. Getting old stinks.

  12. #642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    My wife has a 2009 Specialized FSR Expert Carbon with small frame that she would be willing to sell. My wife is 5' 1", so your daughter could probably fit it (lots of adjustment in the seat post). She's probably only ridden it a dozen times or so, and loves the bike, but after multiple shoulder and elbow surgeries, she doesn't think she'll get back on it.

    20200407_185331-resized.jpg
    Wasn't that around a $3000 bike back in 2009?
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  13. #643
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Wasn't that around a $3000 bike back in 2009?
    She thinks she paid 2800, but it was worth it; she says it climbs like a dream. Come check it out if you want, make a reasonable offer, and it's yours.

  14. #644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    She thinks she paid 2800, but it was worth it; she says it climbs like a dream. Come check it out if you want, make a reasonable offer, and it's yours.
    I would but I don't think we live in the same part of the state.

    Additionally, I can't imagine what I'm willing to spend on a bike that my kids will ride until my youngest is around 13-14 years old would be even a remotely acceptable offer for a bike like that.

    My wife is over 5'9 so I don't think she could ride it either.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  15. #645

    Default

    The bike shops, at least in my neck of the woods, are doing amazingly well. The three I visited a couple weeks ago said they've never been busier. Everyone seems to have arrived on the same thought -- get the kids out of the house and tire them out with a long bike ride, plus it's spring. I made a trip to Wal Mart to buy a bike tube and that place is almost sold out of bikes too, other than tiny little kid bikes.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  16. #646

    Default

    I've been to Hangar 15 a few times since this began. It's been super busy every time.

  17. #647
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The bike shops, at least in my neck of the woods, are doing amazingly well. The three I visited a couple weeks ago said they've never been busier. Everyone seems to have arrived on the same thought -- get the kids out of the house and tire them out with a long bike ride, plus it's spring. I made a trip to Wal Mart to buy a bike tube and that place is almost sold out of bikes too, other than tiny little kid bikes.
    Yip. Bought a tube at Walmart the other day. I think I got the penultimate 20" tube.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  18. #648
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,546

    Default

    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  19. #649
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,692

    Default

    In the past month I have bought 6 bikes.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  20. #650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    In the past month I have bought 6 bikes.
    thats too many bikes one person can only ride one bike, maybe two
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  21. #651
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,232

    Default

    https://www.strava.com/activities/3721627590/overview

    https://www.velonews.com/news/road/a...o-a-new-level/

    Everesting, vertical equal to Mt Everest on a bike. Contador just set the record, 7:33. I think the most amazing part is he did the same climb 78 times.

  22. #652
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3721627590/overview

    https://www.velonews.com/news/road/a...o-a-new-level/

    Everesting, vertical equal to Mt Everest on a bike. Contador just set the record, 7:33. I think the most amazing part is he did the same climb 78 times.
    Bonus: no testing for PEDs, right? ;-) Also, it's nice to have a downhill break so frequently, with a 950m course. Still, it's a crazy good accomplishment.

    RC, are you prepping to break that record?

  23. #653
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3721627590/overview

    https://www.velonews.com/news/road/a...o-a-new-level/

    Everesting, vertical equal to Mt Everest on a bike. Contador just set the record, 7:33. I think the most amazing part is he did the same climb 78 times.
    I wish I were a 37 year old with his form and retired with a bunch of money. I'd be climbing all different kinds of mountains. Got to be fun to have the freedom like that.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  24. #654
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I wish I were a 37 year old with his form and retired with a bunch of money. I'd be climbing all different kinds of mountains. Got to be fun to have the freedom like that.
    Except he probably doesn't call it 'freedom', since he's trying to launch his own line of bikes, and this is 'testing'.

  25. #655
    Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, UT
    Posts
    1,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3721627590/overview

    https://www.velonews.com/news/road/a...o-a-new-level/

    Everesting, vertical equal to Mt Everest on a bike. Contador just set the record, 7:33. I think the most amazing part is he did the same climb 78 times.
    That is the craziest elevation graph I've ever seen.

  26. #656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    That is the craziest elevation graph I've ever seen.
    And max speed 79.5 mph?

    I also would have figured he'd have burned more than the 8000+ calories he did. I mean, I burned 1400+ calories on my ride home from work the other day.

  27. #657

    Default

    Well I've know I was probably overdue to change my chain, but I somehow pushed it to the back burner. I just got a chain gauge, and the .75 went in easily. The 1.0 went in about half-way.

    Bought a new chain hoping I didn't do too much damage. On my ride up to South Fork this morning, the chain was quite a bit louder on the larger chainring. That mostly went away on the smaller chainring, so I just ordered a new larger chainring.

    Newbie mistake, and I'll stay on top of it going forward.

    I think I've put a little over 2000 miles on it. Any other maintenance I'm overlooking?

    BTW, separate issue, I just bought an ISM seat and love it.

  28. #658
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Well I've know I was probably overdue to change my chain, but I somehow pushed it to the back burner. I just got a chain gauge, and the .75 went in easily. The 1.0 went in about half-way.

    Bought a new chain hoping I didn't do too much damage. On my ride up to South Fork this morning, the chain was quite a bit louder on the larger chainring. That mostly went away on the smaller chainring, so I just ordered a new larger chainring.

    Newbie mistake, and I'll stay on top of it going forward.

    I think I've put a little over 2000 miles on it. Any other maintenance I'm overlooking?

    BTW, separate issue, I just bought an ISM seat and love it.
    My experience has been that the cassette is what wears more with a stretched chain, so you might check your favorite cogs there, too.

  29. #659

    Default

    What do you carry in your tool kit on your rides?

    I keep a set of levers, a patch kit, an extra tube, a hex key, two CO2 cartridges with an inflator. Well, I'm adding a valve tool to the kit.

    On my ride up to South Fork this morning, I picked up a thorn. I changed the tube, but after inflating it, the valve came out as I unscrewed the inflator. Good thing I pack an extra cartridge. I had to mangle the valve to get it out of my inflator, so I used the valve from the old tube. I twisted it in to the tube as tight as I could. But when I removed the inflator the second time, out came the valve. I was able to keep most of the air in with my finger as I extracted the valve. After reinserting, my tire was about half full.

    So I rode gently down to Vivian Park without incident until I was making too steep a turn into the parking lot. I got a good pinch flat, and immediately did a 270 sideways, shoes still clipped in. Miraculously, the roll absorbed the energy of the fall, and neither I nor my bike was damaged.


  30. #660
    Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, UT
    Posts
    1,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    What do you carry in your tool kit on your rides?

    I keep a set of levers, a patch kit, an extra tube, a hex key, two CO2 cartridges with an inflator. Well, I'm adding a valve tool to the kit.

    On my ride up to South Fork this morning, I picked up a thorn. I changed the tube, but after inflating it, the valve came out as I unscrewed the inflator. Good thing I pack an extra cartridge. I had to mangle the valve to get it out of my inflator, so I used the valve from the old tube. I twisted it in to the tube as tight as I could. But when I removed the inflator the second time, out came the valve. I was able to keep most of the air in with my finger as I extracted the valve. After reinserting, my tire was about half full.

    So I rode gently down to Vivian Park without incident until I was making too steep a turn into the parking lot. I got a good pinch flat, and immediately did a 270 sideways, shoes still clipped in. Miraculously, the roll absorbed the energy of the fall, and neither I nor my bike was damaged.

    That is about exactly what I carry on each ride. I also carry a lightweight rain jacket, just in case I’m thinking about adding a chain tool. I broke a chain on a MTB ride last year, but fortunatelt I saw on the mountain above my house and was able to coast the whole way home. If I was on a ride further away, I could have been stuck walking (or calling for the wife wagon).

    I have never had that happen to me with a valve. Are you running tubeless? I wonder if the goop is getting in and messing it up somehow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •