Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycling Miscellany

I can't see an existing thread where either of the following fits, so I'll start a grab bag for cycling-related items of interest that don't necessarily elicit lots of discussion, a kind of cycling random thoughts thread...

The first is a video of Danny MacAskill (there's a brief ad at the start, but stick with it). I've seen other videos of him, I don't think I'd seen this before and his stunts are spectacular. And when matched up with the Scottish countryside, the effect is breathtaking. I will encourage Mrs. PAC to try some of these on our next ride.

The second item was a story told by a friend from high school at a party last night. He's one of the chief scientists at a major biotech company, but loves to cycle in his spare time. Unfortunately, that means he's riding either very early or very late in the day. His wife, an RN, really hectors him about being safe and telling him not to ride. But last winter, he went out on an early morning ride in the hills around Berkeley and Moraga. Descending on Pinehurst Road, he hit a patch of black ice, fell, and skidded over 100 yards and was badly banged up.

Rather than call his wife or the paramedics for help, he rode home, including the final mile-long climb up near Strawberry Canyon that features a 12% grade. He felt horrible, but didn't dare tell his wife and he went off to work as if everything were all right. But by the afternoon, he couldn't walk. He was taken to the hospital where he was diagnosed with, among other things, a pelvis that was fractured on both sides. I can't imagine getting up, much less riding my bike for miles and up a very steep climb, under those conditions. And yet as a husband who wants to avoid spousal wrath, I understand.

the danny macaskill videos are incredible.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I will encourage Mrs. PAC to try some of these on our next ride.
      Careful what you ask for. She might bust a move that you can't match. I've seen that video, or one very similar, before. That guy's amazing. It'd be great to have the balance and timing that guy has. Although I wonder how many takes some of those moves took. Many of them seem like they'd hurt pretty darn bad if you missed just by an inch or two one way or the other.

The second item was a story told by a friend from high school at a party last night. I can't imagine getting up, much less riding my bike for miles and up a very steep climb, under those conditions.
      Yeah, pretty crazy. Reminds me of a story a guy told me years ago of crashing his titanium mountain bike and breaking his shoulder while riding way up Mt. Olympus or somewhere similar. I asked him how he got his bike down, but someone listening to the conversation thought we were both crazy to not even consider leaving the bike there. That's just not how a dedicated cyclist thinks.

Comment

I've always been bothered a bit by my eyes watering on descents or generally windy conditions. I've wanted to get sunglasses that cover up well and sweep around to the sides of my face, but the cost of the prescription version of those types (e.g., Oakleys) seemed prohibitive (i.e., $400-500 or more).

But Performance had a couple of brands that permit one to add a prescription lens insert right behind the sunglass lens. Since they were were only $60, and the cost of prescription lenses (at Kaiser) for the insert were $100, I gave it shot. I've worn them twice now, and absolutely love them; the difference is remarkable. I wish I'd done this years ago.

Comment

I've always been bothered a bit by my eyes watering on descents or generally windy conditions. I've wanted to get sunglasses that cover up well and sweep around to the sides of my face, but the cost of the prescription version of those types (e.g., Oakleys) seemed prohibitive (i.e., $400-500 or more).

But Performance had a couple of brands that permit one to add a prescription lens insert right behind the sunglass lens. Since they were were only $60, and the cost of prescription lenses (at Kaiser) for the insert were $100, I gave it shot. I've worn them twice now, and absolutely love them; the difference is remarkable. I wish I'd done this years ago.
          Glad you were happy with them. Do they feel heavy or unwieldy compared to sunglasses or regular glasses? I had Lasik 11 years ago, but my eyes are getting worse. I'm generally ok without correction, but it would be nice to have a little better distance vision sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
            Glad you were happy with them. Do they feel heavy or unwieldy compared to sunglasses or regular glasses? I had Lasik 11 years ago, but my eyes are getting worse. I'm generally ok without correction, but it would be nice to have a little better distance vision sometimes.
            So far, very happy. It's all polycarbonate and plastic, and the fit is very good, so they don't feel heavy at all. Indeed, I don't even notice them. Before we headed out this morning, the missus took this a pic featuring said eyewear along with an awesome cycling jersey our daughters gave me for Father's Day.

Comment

PAC, you are looking really fit! nice job. i would like to know what the jersey reads below the sandwich but I feel awkward spending too much time gazing in that area. help a brother out.

PS that Spam sandwich looks freaking delish.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                PAC, you are looking really fit! nice job. i would like to know what the jersey reads below the sandwich but I feel awkward spending too much time gazing in that area. help a brother out.

PS that Spam sandwich looks freaking delish.
                It says, "Crazy Tasty". And thanks. Occasionally I'll tell the missus that I wish I'd worked at being in better shape during my 30s and 40s and she reminds me that things like lotsa kids, work and more demanding church callings were a bit of a hindrance.

Comment

That jersey is awesome.
                  I want one.
                  At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                  -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
                    Coz' every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp Spam-dressed man

Comment

This evening Pleasanton hosted a Fast and Furious criterium with about 80 "pro" cyclists. I put pro in quotes because the total purse was around $10K, and there wasn't a recognizable name in the bunch. Still, this was a great event to watch up close, something I hadn't done before. The course was a 0.9 mile loop around downtown, and it was easy to walk around, watching at the corners and then the finish. It was amazing how fast they were able to corner without biffing. The little redhead in the forefront is our granddaughter, who was enthralled by the experience.

Comment

Getting the proper fit is essential to comfortable and successful riding. Here's an example of a poor job of that.

[YOUTUBE]PL7pUIhNSm4&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Getting the proper fit is essential to comfortable and successful riding. Here's an example of a poor job of that.

[YOUTUBE]PL7pUIhNSm4&feature[/YOUTUBE]
                          Just think about the weight savings.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                            Reminds me of a story a guy told me years ago of crashing his titanium mountain bike and breaking his shoulder while riding way up Mt. Olympus or somewhere similar. I asked him how he got his bike down, but someone listening to the conversation thought we were both crazy to not even consider leaving the bike there. That's just not how a dedicated cyclist thinks.
                            When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

In case you don't read the movie reviews thread in Critics Corner, I'll mention here that we saw Premium Rush tonight and enjoyed it. Watching bike messengers careening through Manhattan (Joseph Gordon-Levitt rides a fixie) was surprisingly entertaining, and watching them biff in countless ways was more than a little disconcerting--no way could I ride in heavy urban traffic. The film doesn't spend a lot of time with it, but the bike messenger subculture was interesting. As they're cranking along through midtown and Central Park it almost feels like you're out on a bike yourself. Not a lot of substance to the movie, but a fun ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X