No announcement yet.

Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in the market for a cyclocomputer and would love some input as to what ya'll use and what you like/dislike about it.

I've had a garmin 305 I used primarily for running for years, and have used it while riding as well. It does OK to give me basic speed, distance, average speed, etc. But it's getting old, and doesn't hold a charge nearly like it used to. And I find that I'd really like something that can also give me cadence (I tried a cadence sensor with the 305, but without much luck), and I'd really really like something that will still give me speed and distance when I've got my bike on a trainer - which expands my riding opportunities.

Guy at the local bike shop told me to look into the Wahoo brand, as it's got a little better connectivity than the garmin options. Anyone heard of Wahoo or use their stuff?

I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      I'm in the market for a cyclocomputer and would love some input as to what ya'll use and what you like/dislike about it.

I've had a garmin 305 I used primarily for running for years, and have used it while riding as well. It does OK to give me basic speed, distance, average speed, etc. But it's getting old, and doesn't hold a charge nearly like it used to. And I find that I'd really like something that can also give me cadence (I tried a cadence sensor with the 305, but without much luck), and I'd really really like something that will still give me speed and distance when I've got my bike on a trainer - which expands my riding opportunities.

Guy at the local bike shop told me to look into the Wahoo brand, as it's got a little better connectivity than the garmin options. Anyone heard of Wahoo or use their stuff?

I'm open to suggestions.
      I use a Wahoo Element. It works well for road and mountain bike rides. But I haven’t used it on a trainer, so I can’t help much there. I also haven’t used any Garmin units, so I can’t realky compare it to anything.

Comment

I'm in the market for a cyclocomputer and would love some input as to what ya'll use and what you like/dislike about it.

I'm open to suggestions.
        I just bought a Garmin Edge 530 and didn't have much luck with it, the reason being the buttons didn't function like they should. I read some reviews and it appears the buttons are an issue with the 530. Since the 520 is now discounted because it's the old model, I am probably going to give it a shot. I have heard good things about the Wahoo, but haven't ever used one. If the 520 wasn't cheaper, I would probably be more tempted to give it a shot. People seem to love the Bolt and there is a new Roam model that is supposed to be quite nice.
        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
          I use a Wahoo Element. It works well for road and mountain bike rides. But I haven’t used it on a trainer, so I can’t help much there. I also haven’t used any Garmin units, so I can’t realky compare it to anything.
          Thanks - that helps.

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
          I just bought a Garmin Edge 530 and didn't have much luck with it, the reason being the buttons didn't function like they should. I read some reviews and it appears the buttons are an issue with the 530. Since the 520 is now discounted because it's the old model, I am probably going to give it a shot. I have heard good things about the Wahoo, but haven't ever used one. If the 520 wasn't cheaper, I would probably be more tempted to give it a shot. People seem to love the Bolt and there is a new Roam model that is supposed to be quite nice.
          Because Garmin is the only thing I've used that is even close, that is the way I was leaning. But the bike shop guy seemed much more impressed with the Wahoo interfaces and connectability when compared to Garmin - and he was a Garmin user. So he's got me reconsidering my Garmin thoughts.

Comment

Thanks - that helps.

Because Garmin is the only thing I've used that is even close, that is the way I was leaning. But the bike shop guy seemed much more impressed with the Wahoo interfaces and connectability when compared to Garmin - and he was a Garmin user. So he's got me reconsidering my Garmin thoughts.
            On the Wahoo Element, I will say that I have never had any connectivity issues. I sync to the Element app on my phone after each ride, and then upload to Strava. The battery lasts forever, usually 5 or 6 rides between charges (probably 8-10 hours) and it is built solid. It’s gotten wet and muddy from some rides and cleans off easily.

Comment

• I use a Garmin vivoactive HR watch for running and for the bike. It make a good running watch, and an ok bike computer. The display is just a tad small for biking, for my preference. Has all of the features that I need. Touchscreen works well nearly all the time, with the exception of when its wet, or my hand is wet. Sometimes takes a few tries to scroll to different pages.

As for the trainer, I use a Kinetic fluid trainer. I recently bought a Kinetic InRide3 adapter. It is a sensor that attaches to the trainer flywheel and sends bluetooth data to the watch or phone. I get bored out of my mind on the trainer, so this things has done wonders for the quality of my garage workouts. It syncs perfectly with Zwift, Sufferfest, Trainerroad, and a few other cycling apps. I use it for Zwift and love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                I use a Garmin vivoactive HR watch for running and for the bike. It make a good running watch, and an ok bike computer. The display is just a tad small for biking, for my preference. Has all of the features that I need. Touchscreen works well nearly all the time, with the exception of when its wet, or my hand is wet. Sometimes takes a few tries to scroll to different pages.

As for the trainer, I use a Kinetic fluid trainer. I recently bought a Kinetic InRide3 adapter. It is a sensor that attaches to the trainer flywheel and sends bluetooth data to the watch or phone. I get bored out of my mind on the trainer, so this things has done wonders for the quality of my garage workouts. It syncs perfectly with Zwift, Sufferfest, Trainerroad, and a few other cycling apps. I use it for Zwift and love it.
                I've really liked my old 305, to be honest. Enough that I'm really torn - I came into this conversation convinced I wanted a cycling specific computer that would do everything I want a cycling computer to do. But I also do enough running, that I think maybe I do want another watch instead. And then I see how you can get some good tri watches that will include swimming now for a lot less than they used to be. But the old adage Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind. I tend to think most watches are best used for running, with some helpful cycling application. But I may not be giving them enough credit.

Comment

I've really liked my old 305, to be honest. Enough that I'm really torn - I came into this conversation convinced I wanted a cycling specific computer that would do everything I want a cycling computer to do. But I also do enough running, that I think maybe I do want another watch instead. And then I see how you can get some good tri watches that will include swimming now for a lot less than they used to be. But the old adage Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind. I tend to think most watches are best used for running, with some helpful cycling application. But I may not be giving them enough credit.
                  My brother uses a Garmin 735XT for both biking and running. He's more of a runner, but he says it works really well for his bike rides.
                  When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

I'm open to suggestions.
                    I have a garmin 810 that I only use for cycling. I’ve had it for a long time and it’s been bullet proof. It holds a charge forever (did a 14 hour ride and it still had a ton of battery left), seems to be weather proof as I’ve ridden t through rain, and is small enough that it’s never in the way. It gives me cadence, heart rate, speed (either gps or based on the wheel turn rate), and would give me power if I had a power meter.

I use a 910xt for running and swimming. Again, love it and it’s been bullet proof so far.

I just use the basics of these things though. I don’t listen to music while running and while cycling I have my phone so I wear one ear pod and just stream from my phone.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Oh, and check out www.dcrainmaker.com if you want an in-depth (and I mean in-depth) review of any gps watch or computer.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• After taking most of last year off the bike due to marathon training and the terrible wildfires, I've been riding quite a bit this year. Last winter, my cousin closed his bike shop and offered me a great deal on a 29er mountain bike. So I rode a ton on the trails this winter and spring.

This summer I've been putting in some quality road miles. The family is out of town this week, so last night after work I was able to meet a buddy in Mount Shasta and do the Mount Shasta hill climb. It's a monster climb, at about 14 miles and 3,700 feet of elevation. We made it up at to the top at about 7:30pm, just in time to head back down the mountain before it got too dark and too cold. The first few miles were pretty chilly, as the top is about 8,000 feet elevation. But the descent was incredible! Long, sweeping turns and glass-smooth road surfaces. My buddy is a really timid descender, so I didn't open it up until the bottom half of the mountain, hitting about 42 mph on one stretch. The scenery was stunning, and I was able to get a good look at my recent slip-n-slide path down Avalanche Gulch.

This evening I am headed up to Tahoe with a buddy to ride the downhill trails at Northstar. Can't wait! Its just over the hill from the Tyrolean Descent that mtnbiker, bigpiney and I rode 10 years ago during that first CUF bike adventure.

Comment

• Nice to see Sepp Kuss ride well today taking top 10 on the stage in the Vuelta and crossing with Quintana.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Nice to see Sepp Kuss ride well today taking top 10 on the stage in the Vuelta and crossing with Quintana.
                            Kuss takes the stage win today. Dude is awesome and I hope he gets many more. He a good enough climber to do it.

Comment

• "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• This one was worse. Check it out at the 3:00 mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X