Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

Do you other cyclist pay much attention to your heart rates ? Do any of you use heart rate monitors ?
    PAC, I may check that movie out tonight.
    Mtn, good luck in your search for a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
    Do you other cyclist pay much attention to your heart rates ? Do any of you use heart rate monitors ?
    Admittedly I'm just a duffer, but I've been thinking about getting one. I'm interested to see how hard I'm working objectively. I think for a newbie like me, it would be helpful.
    I don't like Congress. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their House, I hate their Senate, I hate everything.... I think the whole Congress, their Senate and their House, is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose.

Yes, I pay attention to it more than anything else, but that is probably a carry over from running where heart rate is a big thing to watch.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I just noticed that Netflix has a 2012 French film available for view, Bicycling with Moliere. Not sure if this is our Moliere with a GoPro, or someone else.
    Either way it sounds like an amazing movie
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yes, I pay attention to it more than anything else, but that is probably a carry over from running where heart rate is a big thing to watch.
    I do too, on my road bike anyway. To convert from running, I read somewhere that you should subtract 10, which seems about right for effort on the different zones.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

I was very involved in running for a period of time doing 9 marathons and countless other races and I never worried about HR. This morning my resting HR was 62. I thought it would be lower given my riding for eleven weeks but maybe it will go down as I drop more weight ?

20 miler after morning appointments. On the way back I got into a duel with another rider. I try to catch anyone in front of me and not let anyone behind me catch me. I used to do this when I ran and it really adds flavor to workouts. It took me three miles to catch this guy, he stayed kind of close for two-three and I dropped him on the flats for the final four.
    70 minutes. I know it's slow for most of you but I can't tell you how much I get a kick out of racing another rider. Great way to start week 12.
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 08-18-2014 at 09:21 AM.

20 miler after morning appointments. On the way back I got into a duel with another rider. I try to catch anyone in front of me and not let anyone behind me catch me. I used to do this when I ran and it really adds flavor to workouts. It took me three miles to catch this guy, he stayed kind of close for two-three and I dropped him on the flats for the final four.
    70 minutes. I know it's slow for most of you but I can't tell you how much I get a kick out of racing another rider. Great way to start week 12.
    Did he know you were racing?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

That goes without saying. Have you stopped riding ?

That goes without saying. Have you stopped riding ?
    Not stopped, but this last week has been harder to get out due to some medical issues in the household. Saturday I did 7.4 miles pulling a cart with one of my daughters.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

20 miler. One day soon I will ride further but I'm big on good daily habits and it's working.

Edit. Took my wife out for an evening ride on her new road bike and did 16.75 miles.
    Very nice evening ride.
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 08-19-2014 at 04:51 PM.

4 miles last night pulling 1 daughter.
    - Goatnapper'96

20 miler. Humid. Crosswind today. Track workout tonight. 6x800. Crab cakes after running.

4.5 miles. No pulling. Since I wasn't pulling anyone/thing, my 9-year-old had a lot of trouble keeping up, so I didn't go nearly as far as I wanted before nightfall.
    - Goatnapper'96

20 miler. One day soon I will ride further but I'm big on good daily habits and it's working.

Edit. Took my wife out for an evening ride on her new road bike and did 16.75 miles.
    Very nice evening ride.
    Good job with the consistent riding, OB and P. OB, how is your wife liking the new sport and new bike?

Mtn, at first the riding in the road really scared her. She is getting used to it. In addition to the 16.75 she took her first spin class this morning and loved it. I think she is ready for clip on's though she is worried she will fall. She is more analytical, I fly by the seat of my pants and she ask questions about things I don't think about much less able to answer.

We plan on hiking to the giant Y in Provo and other fun places next week if the altitude doesn't wipe us out.

Track workout was terrible. I was too tired to do a decent track workout. Just not in that good of condition to ride 36 the day before, twenty early in the day then track. Once I hit 50 years old I found I need a little more recovery time.
    Last edited by OceanBlue; 08-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Once I hit 50 years old I found I need a little more recovery time.
    - Goatnapper'96

20 miler. Very hot. Felt tired. Looking forward to Provo and cool nights.

17.25 miles with my wife. The clouds helped make for a nice ride.

20 miles. Rode with two guys from our ward. Highest speed was 23.5....for a brief moment. Stayed at 21mph for a good period of time. The end of my 12th week. 137.5 miles this week. Will probably run for 45 minutes at the Y on treadmill later today.

20 miler with my wife this evening. Very nice ride.

20 miles. Two days till Provo !

7.7 miles on Saturday, 6.5 miles yesterday.
    - Goatnapper'96

Pelado, great job !!
    Won't be posting for a week while I'm out west. Happy riding !!

Pelado, great job !!
    Won't be posting for a week while I'm out west. Happy riding !!
    Thanks. Since I started riding, I've found it easier to get up four flights of stairs at the hospital without feeling like I need to be admitted myself.
    - Goatnapper'96