Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    My kids ride Walmart shit. They'll continue to get Walmart shit as long as they continue to leave their bikes outside overnight, leave them where the sprinklers will get them wet, forget to lock them up when they ride to school, and leave them lying in the garage where they have the potential to get backed over by our cars.
    Well hey, at least you can get Schwinn shit from Walmart...
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
    - Andrew Tanenbaum

https://github.com/brailsmt

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    My kids ride Walmart shit. They'll continue to get Walmart shit as long as they continue to leave their bikes outside overnight, leave them where the sprinklers will get them wet, forget to lock them up when they ride to school, and leave them lying in the garage where they have the potential to get backed over by our cars.
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I just got burned by the last two bikes I bought at Walmart for my kids. They both were poorly put together.
    What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.

-Teenage Dirtbag

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

The latest Danny MacAskill video... It's very clever in that it takes place, not in the usual exotic locale, but rather within the mind of a young Danny, apparently. Very well done, as usual. Loved the bit on the Twister game spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
    Just dropped a wad on a Trek mountain bike for my 11-year-old. Ugh! Are we crazy to get a kid a nice bike? I was tired of buying him Walmart shit. What kind of wheels do your kids ride?
    No, youre not crazy. You will need to teach him to take care of his buike, but that should be part of the deal anyway, IMO. Walmart bikes (and simialr) are never a good value. Ever. PLus, they are often put together incorrectly and suffer from high incidences of failed brakes, derailleurs, etc. When my oldest was about 9 or 10 we popped for a very expensive trek bike. It lasted through all three of my kids until it was too small and then we donated it elsewhere. I am certain that a walmart special would not have enbdured. Like Indiana Jones at the knights of the templar sanctuary, you choose wisely.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The latest Danny MacAskill video... It's very clever in that it takes place, not in the usual exotic locale, but rather within the mind of a young Danny, apparently. Very well done, as usual. Loved the bit on the Twister game spinner.
    It is pretty amazing what he can do. I liked the outtakes, that show how really difficult it is, even though he makes it look almost effortless.

Do you think his mom worried (or still worries) about when he'd ever grow up and try to get a real job instead of messing around on a bike?

found the next jersey I want to get: http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/tiro...-pm-44319.html Dead sexy!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    found the next jersey I want to get: http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/tiro...-pm-44319.html Dead sexy!
    Oom pa pa baby!
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    That may be the ugliest jersey I've ever seen but also very cool is a European dorky way.

This was fun to watch.

Last edited by Moliere; 07-07-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    This was fun to watch.

Crazy.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

https://www.facebook.com/larry.peterson.1253

This guy is 69 and had a time of 9:35 this year at Lotoja. Last year he rides over 12,000 miles despite battling prostrate cancer and a broken collarbone. It shows he grew up in Rexburg but I don't know him. Crazy stuff.

The missus doesn't know it yet, but she's going to be getting a Specialized Amira for her birthday. I ordered it on Tuesday, and it will be here either tomorrow or Wednesday. This in turn means that I get my Tarmac back.

CUF Ride 2014 anybody?
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    The missus doesn't know it yet, but she's going to be getting a Specialized Amira for her birthday. I ordered it on Tuesday, and it will be here either tomorrow or Wednesday. This in turn means that I get my Tarmac back.

CUF Ride 2014 anybody?
    Sweet!!! We were just talking off-line the other day about the possibility of a ride around Bear Lake, maybe around the end of July. It's never too early to start planning.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Sweet!!! We were just talking off-line the other day about the possibility of a ride around Bear Lake, maybe around the end of July. It's never too early to start planning.
    Totally would be in. We are going up to Montana around that time anyway; why not just head through and spend a few days cycling with friends?

I would really like to do another CUF CS ride next year. Bear lake sounds great, as would some form of Yellowstone route, although RCV is not too hot about the traffic through the park.

Central or southern Utah are also intriguing to me. That scenery that ercoug recently posted looked amazing.

End of July should work. I have youth conference July 17-19. We need to sneak a family vacation in somewhere in july as well.

Perhaps the weekend of July 25-27?
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

The week of July 25-August 3 is already booked for us, as we have secured multiple timeshare units at the same place (tough to do) for the family when we'll celebrate 40 years of unspeakable connubial bliss. Given that that period is best for bg, JIC and probably other CUF/CS ride stalwarts, I'll completely understand if we have to miss next year's big one. Other than that blackout period, however, we're currently available any time between June 1 and August 31.

CUF Ride 2014 anybody?
    So, the best laid plans....

The Amira came in Wednesday, and I went to pick it up (SHW was meeting me at the bike shop). As they wheeled it out, I saw what looked like a cosmetic scratch on the frame. But when I looked closer, there was a chunk of the carbon that had bashed, about the size of a pencil eraser, with a nasty scratch in the clear coat. It was on the side that the mechanic wouldn't have seen if he was working on the drivetrain, so maybe he missed it - I don't know - but the manager and I looked at it and then looked at the box. Clearly something had gone through the box with great force, and both of us - the manager and I - agreed that the bike needed to be sent back to Specialized. Not the bike shop's fault, although I'm surprised the mechanic didn't catch it. Trouble is, that was the only one left in the US, literally. Another batch wasn't scheduled to get produced until November.

So in the meantime SHW shows up, and just for kicks we put her on the flawed bike. She fits, but after some examining the shop manager wonders if she might not fight even better on a 58cm Tarmac or the equivalent Madone. (She had been riding my 58cm Tarmac, but was a bit stretched out, even with a shorter stem). Turns out the geometry had changed enough that the Tarmac was a better fit this time around. So she ordered that instead, and decided to swap out the bars with a narrower set. So far so good.

Today the bike came, and it's awesome. Much better than mine - internally routed cables, all good Ultegra components, 11 speed cassette, etc. She's going to try out the seat for a while before she gets a new one - it seems okay for now - but just as we were going to walk out the manager noticed some extra tension in the rear derailleur. Turns out one of the internal plastic cable guides was defective and needed to be replaced. Not a big deal - and, again, not the bike shop's fault - but it's going to cost us another day or three. Maddening. Thankfully it's supposed to be nasty rainy all weekend, so she wouldn't have been able to ride anyway.

Anyway, it's a much nicer bike than mine (this is the one, including color: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...-ultegra#specs). But I keep reminding her that I can still torch her on the road.

Bummer about the mishaps with the bikes, but that is awesome that your wife's getting into it. But how tall is she??? A 58cm bike? I was riding a 59cm a few years ago, then dropped down to a 54cm and like the sizing a lot better. I was pretty stretched out on the old one.

Bummer about the mishaps with the bikes, but that is awesome that your wife's getting into it. But how tall is she??? A 58cm bike? I was riding a 59cm a few years ago, then dropped down to a 54cm and like the sizing a lot better. I was pretty stretched out on the old one.
    She's 5'11".

More Martyn Ashton/Danny Macaskill ridiculousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Another great video. I always wonder how many takes (and bruising falls) there must be to produce the final footage. The very end of the video contains a few. I'm surprised the guy's legs aren't a bloody mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

That is pretty amazing. I'm always amazed those rims don't blow up and the spokes don't break.

Golf & Cubs Disrespecter beelzebabette's Avatar

So, the best laid plans....

Today the bike came, and it's awesome. Much better than mine - internally routed cables, all good Ultegra components, 11 speed cassette, etc. She's going to try out the seat for a while before she gets a new one - it seems okay for now - but just as we were going to walk out the manager noticed some extra tension in the rear derailleur. Turns out one of the internal plastic cable guides was defective and needed to be replaced. Not a big deal - and, again, not the bike shop's fault - but it's going to cost us another day or three. Maddening. Thankfully it's supposed to be nasty rainy all weekend, so she wouldn't have been able to ride anyway.

Anyway, it's a much nicer bike than mine (this is the one, including color: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...-ultegra#specs). But I keep reminding her that I can still torch her on the road.
    Good looking bike. What kind of seat does she have? My 6'0" cousin is just switching to a road bike so I'm interested in what works for your wife. I'm sending her my old seat so she's not riding on her husband's, but I replaced it because the pads were slipping from their optimal location so I know it's not going to be a long-term solution for her.

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
    Good looking bike. What kind of seat does she have? My 6'0" cousin is just switching to a road bike so I'm interested in what works for your wife. I'm sending her my old seat so she's not riding on her husband's, but I replaced it because the pads were slipping from their optimal location so I know it's not going to be a long-term solution for her.
    I approve of your new year's resolution to post on a weekly, if not daily, basis. Welcome back!
    Last edited by Donuthole; 01-02-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I can't remember what seat she got. She sat on the assometer for a while with the bike guy and they figured out something or other. She's not sure if she likes it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I approve of your new year's resolution to post on a weekly, if not daily, basis. Welcome back!
    Amen. Welcome home, BBB.

I ran into a bee yesterday, it just got caught in my helmet and stung me up by my temple. It's a little dangerous to be riding while you're trying to get a bee out of your helmet.