Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    That's interesting in light of the fact that it's almost certain the peloton would have slowed down to wait for Porte if they weren't already near the end and trying to catch a break away. Cycling seems to have some "gentlemanly" rules, which aren't written, one being that you shouldn't lose a race due to a mechanical. Didn't Ulrich once stop and wait for Armstrong back in the day?
    I'm sure this still gets debated frequently is certain corners. Did he really wait?! I think he did. I also think that it didn't matter. Armstrong was unstoppable that day. (If you don't remember, this was in 2003 when Armstrong's handlebars snagged on a spectators bibon, causing him to crash. Armstrong later returned the favor on a descent (I believe the following Tour) where Ullrich missed a turn and went into a ditch. In the end, Ullrich won more Tour's than Armstrong, so there's that.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• A good take on yesterday's wheel exchange.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...t-again_370969
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
        I'm sure this still gets debated frequently is certain corners. Did he really wait?! I think he did. I also think that it didn't matter. Armstrong was unstoppable that day. (If you don't remember, this was in 2003 when Armstrong's handlebars snagged on a spectators bibon, causing him to crash. Armstrong later returned the favor on a descent (I believe the following Tour) where Ullrich missed a turn and went into a ditch. In the end, Ullrich won more Tour's than Armstrong, so there's that.
        This notion of gentlemanly rules is very fluid. They do exist, but their contours and limits vary a lot from tour to tour depending on the overall standings and upon the personality (and standing) of le Patron. In Armstrong's years, for example, he absolutely ruled things, so there was some waiting, probably, and he did wait for Ulrich, but it was pretty much his choice. Neither of those examples came at <7k to go when the bunch was winding up for the finish. Plus, even with the wheel change Richie lost 47 seconds at the line. So even though the 2 minute penalty really puts him in an insurmountable hole, the 47 seconds would have hurt him anyway. Moreover, and Hood's article makes this point, they simply broke the rules in an unambiguous and obvious fashion and were rather open and vocal about it. (Porte even bragging about the aid on twitter, although he didn't realize it was illegal when he did so).

I am not offended that the rule exists nor that it was applied here. I think the real problem is that the jury was required to penalize 2 minutes and 200 francs. They should be given more discretion to decide the appropriate penalty. Here, for example, an appropriate penalty might be based on the time that was saved between 'Clarkie's' gesture and the moment Team Sky mechanics (or a teammate) would likely have shown up.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          This notion of gentlemanly rules is very fluid. They do exist, but their contours and limits vary a lot from tour to tour depending on the overall standings and upon the personality (and standing) of le Patron. In Armstrong's years, for example, he absolutely ruled things, so there was some waiting, probably, and he did wait for Ulrich, but it was pretty much his choice. Neither of those examples came at <7k to go when the bunch was winding up for the finish. Plus, even with the wheel change Richie lost 47 seconds at the line. So even though the 2 minute penalty really puts him in an insurmountable hole, the 47 seconds would have hurt him anyway. Moreover, and Hood's article makes this point, they simply broke the rules in an unambiguous and obvious fashion and were rather open and vocal about it. (Porte even bragging about the aid on twitter, although he didn't realize it was illegal when he did so).

I am not offended that the rule exists nor that it was applied here. I think the real problem is that the jury was required to penalize 2 minutes and 200 francs. They should be given more discretion to decide the appropriate penalty. Here, for example, an appropriate penalty might be based on the time that was saved between 'Clarkie's' gesture and the moment Team Sky mechanics (or a teammate) would likely have shown up.
          The 200 franc penalty is pretty funny. Isn't that like $250? I know these guys aren't wealthy like an NBA player but they still have money.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

This notion of gentlemanly rules is very fluid. They do exist, but their contours and limits vary a lot from tour to tour depending on the overall standings and upon the personality (and standing) of le Patron.
            It still bothers me to think about Contador blatantly ignoring these unwritten rules a few years ago when Andy Schleck had a mechanical at an inopportune time toward the top of a climb when the GC hung in balance between the two. Not waiting is one thing, but to obviously attack when your main rival is trying to put a dropped chain back on is pretty poor form.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              It still bothers me to think about Contador blatantly ignoring these unwritten rules a few years ago when Andy Schleck had a mechanical at an inopportune time toward the top of a climb when the GC hung in balance between the two. Not waiting is one thing, but to obviously attack when your main rival is trying to put a dropped chain back on is pretty poor form.
              Yes, that was pretty poor form. Andy Schleck was pretty snake bit. He never did live up to his potential, which potential was likely drug fueled to some degree.

As to Contador I have come around on him. I used to really dislike him but now I find myself hoping he does well. No idea why and it surprises me.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

As to Contador I have come around on him. I used to really dislike him but now I find myself hoping he does well. No idea why and it surprises me.
                Maybe it's because he looks so good on a bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  Yeah, but the pistol thing is lame
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    Yeah, but the pistol thing is lame
                    Some people call themselves French names and others say El Pistolero.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Contador gets involved in a crash on stage 13, which leads to him losing his lead and the pink jersey. It happened right outside the 3km zone, which was interesting given what happened to Porte with the puncture. Looks like Contador's right arm was fine and it really hasn't been bothering him much since the dislocation.

Then Contador comes back today and demolishes Aru and Porte on the time trial, even catching and passing Meana. Porte fell way back, even out of the top ten. I know he had hopes of contending in this thing, but he seems so inconsistent. He seems to always have a couple bad days.

It seems no one will really be able to challenge Contador the rest of the way. They'll be in the mountains and I doubt any attack will give anyone enough time to overtake him. I hope Contador finishes off the Giro with a sizeable lead since the real battle will be in le tour with Froome and Quintana.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      I'm new to this stuff so I didn't go through the doping years and I can see how that would turn someone off of him, but I guess everyone doped back then. I'll admit that I like Contador...probably since he looks good on a bike but he just seems like a nice guy. Also, it was great to see him ride 10 miles on a broken leg last year as he was trying to stay in le tour. The dude doesn't just have the legs and lungs, he's got the balls to go with it.

Comment

• Contador was amazing again today. He punctured on a descent and Astana attacked, contravening the gentlemen code we discussed earlier in this thread. Contador was out by about a minute at the bottom of the penultimate climb and also lacked any teammates to help him. He then swept up the climb, passing other riders one by one, essentially turning the challenge into an uphill time trial. He caught Aru and then dropped him immediately. Eventually he put in a couple of more minutes into Aru although the new Astana leader has to be Landa, who ended up winning the stage 40 seconds ahead of Contador's third place.

Contador has this race by the throat. There are still some important stages to come but, barring a catastrophe, Contador should win.

It was interesting to me that when he punctured Contador was handed a wheel by Ivan Basso, whose bike had the same gearing. This allowed Contador to limit his time loss. Not many years ago Basso would have been the team leader but now is a domestique. Such is the result of time and likely less EPO.

Several riders were highly critical of Astana for attacking Contador when he punctured. Froome (who is not riding the Giro) even tweeted as it was happening that it was an improper attack. Team Astana was not popular before this day; the attack here will do nothing to help their image.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• My boss saw Sagan riding on 1300 E in Sandy/Draper area yesterday (recognized him with his Saxo Bank jersey and Specialized bike). Sagan was stopped looking at his phone and my boss chatted with him for a few seconds.

Comment

• Has anybody purchased Shimano electronic shifters?
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              Has anybody purchased Shimano electronic shifters?
                              A couple of guys I know have it. They love it. I don't see myself shelling out for it any time soon.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Cycling Miscellany

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                                A couple of guys I know have it. They love it. I don't see myself shelling out for it any time soon.
                                I'm not good enough or fast enough to benefit from it. Moreover, it is sort of like when cars started relying on the cpu to monitor everything. Suddenly I couldnt do much of my own maintenance. That sucked.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X