Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 451 to 477 of 477

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

  1. #451
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    It cost around $240 but was worth every penny as the bike felt brand new on yesterday's ride. Having a bike shop that's competent, trustworthy and reasonably priced is a very good thing.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Nothing bother me has much on my bike as some unwanted noise and to have a bike shop that can figure it out is truly a tender mercy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Good to know. Any thoughts on bar tape? Is it a commodity, or are some better than others? The tape on my road bike is unraveling, and I'd like to get some new tape on there.
    Cincelli tape is cool. A lot of companies make nice bar tape anymore but the day I make up my retro bike it will have Cincelli tape on it.

  2. #452
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Next to the Ocean in the South
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Did my first 100k this morning. Had the option to do a 100 miler but I'll try that later this summer.

  3. #453
    Do the Michigan Rag Joe Public's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    J. C. Wilber Building
    Posts
    3,493

    Default

    I just got my bike back from the shop. I went with Lizard Skins for the bar tape. It looks promising.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    .........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

  4. #454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I'm back on the trail again after my son welded the rear triangle. Santa Cruz didn't have any 9-year-old parts hanging around, and the only things I found online were entire bikes, not just rear triangles. Fortunately, my son is a very good welder and was able to re-weld the frame. I taped it off and sprayed with rattle-can primer and automotive paint, but it looks like it's chipped already. Oh, well, just shows it really gets ridden.
    So much for that. The frame broke again, in the same spot. I ended up getting a 29-er, and have about 3 rides on it so far. Even though it's the same suspension type, it's a little strange getting used to the larger wheels, longer wheelbase, and slightly different compression & rebound characteristics of the bike. It floats over rough terrain more easily, but it still feels a bit odd on the steeps. I'm also finally on tubeless tires, which is nice considering some of the rocky terrain on some trails, where I always had to be careful in some spots or I'd get pinch flats.

  5. #455

    Default

    Here's a good read about Barry bonds current role in the cycling world. Has taken a pro women's team under his wing. Mentions several times that cycling has saved his sanity and even possibly saved his life.

    http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...shifting-gears

  6. #456
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    As the grand tours begin to kickoff, here's one of my all time favorite clips:

    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  7. #457
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Anyone else following the Giro? Contador went down yesterday in a bad crash right before the finish. Looks like he dislocated his shoulder, but didn't break anything. He got some ice and rest and went back out and rode 264km finishing in 30th place on the day and losing only 3 seconds. Granted it was a flat course, but that is a crazy thing to do on a recently dislocated shoulder. It'll be interesting to see how he does on a serious climb when he has to really get out of the seat and push it.

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...est-day_370351
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  8. #458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Anyone else following the Giro? Contador went down yesterday in a bad crash right before the finish. Looks like he dislocated his shoulder, but didn't break anything. He got some ice and rest and went back out and rode 264km finishing in 30th place on the day and losing only 3 seconds. Granted it was a flat course, but that is a crazy thing to do on a recently dislocated shoulder. It'll be interesting to see how he does on a serious climb when he has to really get out of the seat and push it.

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...est-day_370351
    You obviously missed my post in the "Questions for Doctors" thread. Not following closely, just casually. I can't imagine having to spend that much time in the saddle with a dislocated shoulder. They had to make a special pink jersey just so he could put it on. We'll see how well he does coming off the rest day tomorrow.

    Also interesting to see the Giro and Tour of California going at the same time. Crazy that the event has gotten big enough that guys like Sagan would leave Europe for it instead of riding the Giro. A nice option to ramp up for the Tour.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  9. #459
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Sagan's victory today was awesome. It was even better given the ride he had yesterday on the mt baldy climb. Very cool of him to have won a semi-decent tour.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  10. #460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Crazy that the event has gotten big enough that guys like Sagan would leave Europe for it instead of riding the Giro. A nice option to ramp up for the Tour.
    Well, they can't be in top form for 3 straight months. Riding the Giro would take too much out of a rider to be a realistic threat in the Tour. Much better to ramp up to top form by riding some shorter races. Wasn't the ToC raced earlier in the year in past years? I think the change to a later date on the calendar has helped to attract talent, too. Seems like they had some pretty awful weather in the past.

  11. #461

    Default Cycling Miscellany

    The Atoc started out the first couple of years in February. Nice idea, but the weather can be pretty iffy that month throughout the state. May was a much better choice, knowing that the weather would be a little more predictable and that they would get a few good riders for the reasons MTB mentioned.

    This year they did a public ride/race of the course in conjunction with the main pro race. Not sure of all of the details, but a friend of mine here in town just finished the entire race route today. He logged it all on strava, so it was pretty cool to be able to follow his daily progress. A ton of miles, with a couple of the stages being crazy hard.

    He said mount Hamilton was steep, but taking it easy on the lower slopes made the upper parts manageable.

    I think it was Friday or Saturdays stage that was a monster. 81 miles with almost 12,000 feet of climbing. He was pretty whooped after that one.

    He'll have to reintroduce himself to his family when he gets home. Not only was it a solid week on the road for the race but he was spending up to 20 hours per week training for the last several months. That, on top of being a very busy orthopedic surgeon. Seems pretty crazy to me, but he was happy to have done it and done it well but the sounds of it.

  12. #462
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  13. #463
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Seems like a dumb rule. I wonder what caused it to become a rule.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  14. #464
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    16,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Seems like a dumb rule. I wonder what caused it to become a rule.
    I think it's to maintain the integrity of the team concept. Otherwise you might have rampant abuse of national or ethnic affiliation, exactly as shown by Clarke and Porte here. It has happened a few times before (especially with the Spanish and the basque, as I recall) but that is pretty blatant.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  15. #465
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I think it's to maintain the integrity of the team concept. Otherwise you might have rampant abuse of national or ethnic affiliation, exactly as shown by Clarke and Porte here. It has happened a few times before (especially with the Spanish and the basque, as I recall) but that is pretty blatant.
    That's interesting in light of the fact that it's almost certain the peloton would have slowed down to wait for Porte if they weren't already near the end and trying to catch a break away. Cycling seems to have some "gentlemanly" rules, which aren't written, one being that you shouldn't lose a race due to a mechanical. Didn't Ulrich once stop and wait for Armstrong back in the day?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  16. #466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    That's interesting in light of the fact that it's almost certain the peloton would have slowed down to wait for Porte if they weren't already near the end and trying to catch a break away. Cycling seems to have some "gentlemanly" rules, which aren't written, one being that you shouldn't lose a race due to a mechanical. Didn't Ulrich once stop and wait for Armstrong back in the day?
    I'm sure this still gets debated frequently is certain corners. Did he really wait?! I think he did. I also think that it didn't matter. Armstrong was unstoppable that day. (If you don't remember, this was in 2003 when Armstrong's handlebars snagged on a spectators bibon, causing him to crash. Armstrong later returned the favor on a descent (I believe the following Tour) where Ullrich missed a turn and went into a ditch. In the end, Ullrich won more Tour's than Armstrong, so there's that.
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  17. #467

    Default

    A good take on yesterday's wheel exchange.

    http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/...t-again_370969
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  18. #468
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    16,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I'm sure this still gets debated frequently is certain corners. Did he really wait?! I think he did. I also think that it didn't matter. Armstrong was unstoppable that day. (If you don't remember, this was in 2003 when Armstrong's handlebars snagged on a spectators bibon, causing him to crash. Armstrong later returned the favor on a descent (I believe the following Tour) where Ullrich missed a turn and went into a ditch. In the end, Ullrich won more Tour's than Armstrong, so there's that.
    This notion of gentlemanly rules is very fluid. They do exist, but their contours and limits vary a lot from tour to tour depending on the overall standings and upon the personality (and standing) of le Patron. In Armstrong's years, for example, he absolutely ruled things, so there was some waiting, probably, and he did wait for Ulrich, but it was pretty much his choice. Neither of those examples came at <7k to go when the bunch was winding up for the finish. Plus, even with the wheel change Richie lost 47 seconds at the line. So even though the 2 minute penalty really puts him in an insurmountable hole, the 47 seconds would have hurt him anyway. Moreover, and Hood's article makes this point, they simply broke the rules in an unambiguous and obvious fashion and were rather open and vocal about it. (Porte even bragging about the aid on twitter, although he didn't realize it was illegal when he did so).

    I am not offended that the rule exists nor that it was applied here. I think the real problem is that the jury was required to penalize 2 minutes and 200 francs. They should be given more discretion to decide the appropriate penalty. Here, for example, an appropriate penalty might be based on the time that was saved between 'Clarkie's' gesture and the moment Team Sky mechanics (or a teammate) would likely have shown up.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  19. #469
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    This notion of gentlemanly rules is very fluid. They do exist, but their contours and limits vary a lot from tour to tour depending on the overall standings and upon the personality (and standing) of le Patron. In Armstrong's years, for example, he absolutely ruled things, so there was some waiting, probably, and he did wait for Ulrich, but it was pretty much his choice. Neither of those examples came at <7k to go when the bunch was winding up for the finish. Plus, even with the wheel change Richie lost 47 seconds at the line. So even though the 2 minute penalty really puts him in an insurmountable hole, the 47 seconds would have hurt him anyway. Moreover, and Hood's article makes this point, they simply broke the rules in an unambiguous and obvious fashion and were rather open and vocal about it. (Porte even bragging about the aid on twitter, although he didn't realize it was illegal when he did so).

    I am not offended that the rule exists nor that it was applied here. I think the real problem is that the jury was required to penalize 2 minutes and 200 francs. They should be given more discretion to decide the appropriate penalty. Here, for example, an appropriate penalty might be based on the time that was saved between 'Clarkie's' gesture and the moment Team Sky mechanics (or a teammate) would likely have shown up.
    The 200 franc penalty is pretty funny. Isn't that like $250? I know these guys aren't wealthy like an NBA player but they still have money.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  20. #470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    This notion of gentlemanly rules is very fluid. They do exist, but their contours and limits vary a lot from tour to tour depending on the overall standings and upon the personality (and standing) of le Patron.
    It still bothers me to think about Contador blatantly ignoring these unwritten rules a few years ago when Andy Schleck had a mechanical at an inopportune time toward the top of a climb when the GC hung in balance between the two. Not waiting is one thing, but to obviously attack when your main rival is trying to put a dropped chain back on is pretty poor form.

  21. #471
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    16,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    It still bothers me to think about Contador blatantly ignoring these unwritten rules a few years ago when Andy Schleck had a mechanical at an inopportune time toward the top of a climb when the GC hung in balance between the two. Not waiting is one thing, but to obviously attack when your main rival is trying to put a dropped chain back on is pretty poor form.
    Yes, that was pretty poor form. Andy Schleck was pretty snake bit. He never did live up to his potential, which potential was likely drug fueled to some degree.

    As to Contador I have come around on him. I used to really dislike him but now I find myself hoping he does well. No idea why and it surprises me.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  22. #472
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post

    As to Contador I have come around on him. I used to really dislike him but now I find myself hoping he does well. No idea why and it surprises me.
    Maybe it's because he looks so good on a bike.

  23. #473
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Maybe it's because he looks so good on a bike.
    Yeah, but the pistol thing is lame
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  24. #474
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    16,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yeah, but the pistol thing is lame
    Some people call themselves French names and others say El Pistolero.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  25. #475
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    15,290

    Default

    Contador gets involved in a crash on stage 13, which leads to him losing his lead and the pink jersey. It happened right outside the 3km zone, which was interesting given what happened to Porte with the puncture. Looks like Contador's right arm was fine and it really hasn't been bothering him much since the dislocation.

    Then Contador comes back today and demolishes Aru and Porte on the time trial, even catching and passing Meana. Porte fell way back, even out of the top ten. I know he had hopes of contending in this thing, but he seems so inconsistent. He seems to always have a couple bad days.

    It seems no one will really be able to challenge Contador the rest of the way. They'll be in the mountains and I doubt any attack will give anyone enough time to overtake him. I hope Contador finishes off the Giro with a sizeable lead since the real battle will be in le tour with Froome and Quintana.

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Maybe it's because he looks so good on a bike.
    I'm new to this stuff so I didn't go through the doping years and I can see how that would turn someone off of him, but I guess everyone doped back then. I'll admit that I like Contador...probably since he looks good on a bike but he just seems like a nice guy. Also, it was great to see him ride 10 miles on a broken leg last year as he was trying to stay in le tour. The dude doesn't just have the legs and lungs, he's got the balls to go with it.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  26. #476
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    16,404

    Default

    Contador was amazing again today. He punctured on a descent and Astana attacked, contravening the gentlemen code we discussed earlier in this thread. Contador was out by about a minute at the bottom of the penultimate climb and also lacked any teammates to help him. He then swept up the climb, passing other riders one by one, essentially turning the challenge into an uphill time trial. He caught Aru and then dropped him immediately. Eventually he put in a couple of more minutes into Aru although the new Astana leader has to be Landa, who ended up winning the stage 40 seconds ahead of Contador's third place.

    Contador has this race by the throat. There are still some important stages to come but, barring a catastrophe, Contador should win.

    It was interesting to me that when he punctured Contador was handed a wheel by Ivan Basso, whose bike had the same gearing. This allowed Contador to limit his time loss. Not many years ago Basso would have been the team leader but now is a domestique. Such is the result of time and likely less EPO.

    Several riders were highly critical of Astana for attacking Contador when he punctured. Froome (who is not riding the Giro) even tweeted as it was happening that it was an improper attack. Team Astana was not popular before this day; the attack here will do nothing to help their image.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  27. #477

    Default

    My boss saw Sagan riding on 1300 E in Sandy/Draper area yesterday (recognized him with his Saxo Bank jersey and Specialized bike). Sagan was stopped looking at his phone and my boss chatted with him for a few seconds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •