Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 391 to 409 of 409

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

  1. #391
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    15,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Holy crap, cyclists have HUGE knee muscles.
    It's almost like they use their legs a lot or something.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  2. #392
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,794

    Default

    Those are gross.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

  3. #393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Those are gross.
    now that she is done with her six pack she is looking for other flattering muscles to develop...
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  4. #394
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    124

    Default

    In recent years I have grown to really love Columbus Day, as I work at a bank and most other people do not take that day off, including students. Monday was beautiful, so I went out for a mountain bike ride up the Mormon Pioneer Trail in East Canyon. The first part is a nice gentle slope and it's pretty fast. I was moving along at a good pace when I came around a corner and saw a big bull moose laying down on the trail. I slammed on the brakes and he immediately got to his feet. I was quite nervous with this huge beast staring me down and I was starting to back off when he made a run at me. I was straddling my bike so I couldn't do anything but cower and yell. Fortunately, just before he reached me, he cut up the hill off the trail. He went up the hill about 50 feet and stopped and stared at me again. I took that as a sign that he was giving me a warning and to stay off his turf.

    I think that was the most terrifying experience I've had on a bike.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  5. #395
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,363

    Default

    I hate moose. I've had a couple of close calls with them in Emigration Canyon as well. Just them coming onto the road near dusk. Moose have that perfect combination of size, poor eyesight, poor intelligence, and aggressive nature to be one of the deadliest mammals on earth. The hippos of North America. Glad to hear that yours was just a scare.

  6. #396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    In recent years I have grown to really love Columbus Day, as I work at a bank and most other people do not take that day off, including students. Monday was beautiful, so I went out for a mountain bike ride up the Mormon Pioneer Trail in East Canyon. The first part is a nice gentle slope and it's pretty fast. I was moving along at a good pace when I came around a corner and saw a big bull moose laying down on the trail. I slammed on the brakes and he immediately got to his feet. I was quite nervous with this huge beast staring me down and I was starting to back off when he made a run at me. I was straddling my bike so I couldn't do anything but cower and yell. Fortunately, just before he reached me, he cut up the hill off the trail. He went up the hill about 50 feet and stopped and stared at me again. I took that as a sign that he was giving me a warning and to stay off his turf.

    I think that was the most terrifying experience I've had on a bike.
    That word just doesn't seem to do justice to what happened to you at that moment.

  7. #397
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    53,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    In recent years I have grown to really love Columbus Day, as I work at a bank and most other people do not take that day off, including students. Monday was beautiful, so I went out for a mountain bike ride up the Mormon Pioneer Trail in East Canyon. The first part is a nice gentle slope and it's pretty fast. I was moving along at a good pace when I came around a corner and saw a big bull moose laying down on the trail. I slammed on the brakes and he immediately got to his feet. I was quite nervous with this huge beast staring me down and I was starting to back off when he made a run at me. I was straddling my bike so I couldn't do anything but cower and yell. Fortunately, just before he reached me, he cut up the hill off the trail. He went up the hill about 50 feet and stopped and stared at me again. I took that as a sign that he was giving me a warning and to stay off his turf.

    I think that was the most terrifying experience I've had on a bike.
    I feel similarly about Columbus Day.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  8. #398
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I feel similarly about Columbus Day.
    Veterans Day is another under-appreciated holiday.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  9. #399
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    That word just doesn't seem to do justice to what happened to you at that moment.
    When I got home, I did a little research on bull moose and I found out that this time of year is when they get more aggressive because it's mating season. From what I gathered, they will charge you to push you out of their space, rather than continue to attack like a cow moose might with her young. Death isn't very common, but I'm sure serious injury was likely if he hadn't turned.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  10. #400
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I hate moose. I've had a couple of close calls with them in Emigration Canyon as well. Just them coming onto the road near dusk. Moose have that perfect combination of size, poor eyesight, poor intelligence, and aggressive nature to be one of the deadliest mammals on earth. The hippos of North America. Glad to hear that yours was just a scare.
    I see them from time to time as well, but they've generally been off the trail or I've spotted them well in advance to take precaution. This guy was right in the middle of the trail, which is a fairly popular trail. I was surprised he would plant himself there.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  11. #401
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    3,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    When I got home, I did a little research on bull moose and I found out that this time of year is when they get more aggressive because it's mating season. From what I gathered, they will charge you to push you out of their space, rather than continue to attack like a cow moose might with her young. Death isn't very common, but I'm sure serious injury was likely if he hadn't turned.


    Glad you made it unscathed.

  12. #402
    Senior Member BrutusBuckeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post


    Glad you made it unscathed.
    Now I'm feeling a little offended he didn't find me suitable.

    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

  13. #403
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,363

    Default


  14. #404
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,794

    Default

    What happened there? Did he misjudge the turn and slam on the brakes?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

  15. #405
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    6,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I like that the cyclist who is probably doing around 35 mph can slam into a fence and still get up and want to finish. Soccer players get tripped up on the soft grass and they're down for five minutes.

  16. #406
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    19,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I like that the cyclist who is probably doing around 35 mph can slam into a fence and still get up and want to finish. Soccer players get tripped up on the soft grass and they're down for five minutes.
    Unless there is a chance for a goal. Then they are up and at full speed immediately.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

  17. #407
    More cowbell! Joe Public's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Starkville, MS
    Posts
    2,984

    Default

    The two guys behind him almost went into the wall as well, but they were able to save it (although they lost all momentum and were passed). It seems like that triangle-shaped patch of resurfacing was where he lost it; the other two were able to turn inside of it.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    .........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

  18. #408
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2,363

    Default

    All I was able to come up with was that there's a bit of a lip where the new asphalt was, catching his front wheel for a split second throwing all of his momentum forward before giving way sending him on completely off balance.

  19. #409
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    15,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    All I was able to come up with was that there's a bit of a lip where the new asphalt was, catching his front wheel for a split second throwing all of his momentum forward before giving way sending him on completely off balance.
    That's a good guess. Something locked up his front wheel as he went over the top, almost slo-mo. Probably combo of sudden deceleration from the lip and his too aggressive braking. Painful to watch.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •