Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Cycling Miscellany

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Holy crap, cyclists have HUGE knee muscles.
    It's almost like they use their legs a lot or something.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Those are gross.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Those are gross.
    now that she is done with her six pack she is looking for other flattering muscles to develop...
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

In recent years I have grown to really love Columbus Day, as I work at a bank and most other people do not take that day off, including students. Monday was beautiful, so I went out for a mountain bike ride up the Mormon Pioneer Trail in East Canyon. The first part is a nice gentle slope and it's pretty fast. I was moving along at a good pace when I came around a corner and saw a big bull moose laying down on the trail. I slammed on the brakes and he immediately got to his feet. I was quite nervous with this huge beast staring me down and I was starting to back off when he made a run at me. I was straddling my bike so I couldn't do anything but cower and yell. Fortunately, just before he reached me, he cut up the hill off the trail. He went up the hill about 50 feet and stopped and stared at me again. I took that as a sign that he was giving me a warning and to stay off his turf.

I think that was the most terrifying experience I've had on a bike.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

I hate moose. I've had a couple of close calls with them in Emigration Canyon as well. Just them coming onto the road near dusk. Moose have that perfect combination of size, poor eyesight, poor intelligence, and aggressive nature to be one of the deadliest mammals on earth. The hippos of North America. Glad to hear that yours was just a scare.

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    In recent years I have grown to really love Columbus Day, as I work at a bank and most other people do not take that day off, including students. Monday was beautiful, so I went out for a mountain bike ride up the Mormon Pioneer Trail in East Canyon. The first part is a nice gentle slope and it's pretty fast. I was moving along at a good pace when I came around a corner and saw a big bull moose laying down on the trail. I slammed on the brakes and he immediately got to his feet. I was quite nervous with this huge beast staring me down and I was starting to back off when he made a run at me. I was straddling my bike so I couldn't do anything but cower and yell. Fortunately, just before he reached me, he cut up the hill off the trail. He went up the hill about 50 feet and stopped and stared at me again. I took that as a sign that he was giving me a warning and to stay off his turf.

That word just doesn't seem to do justice to what happened to you at that moment.

I feel similarly about Columbus Day.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I feel similarly about Columbus Day.
    Veterans Day is another under-appreciated holiday.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    That word just doesn't seem to do justice to what happened to you at that moment.
    When I got home, I did a little research on bull moose and I found out that this time of year is when they get more aggressive because it's mating season. From what I gathered, they will charge you to push you out of their space, rather than continue to attack like a cow moose might with her young. Death isn't very common, but I'm sure serious injury was likely if he hadn't turned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I hate moose. I've had a couple of close calls with them in Emigration Canyon as well. Just them coming onto the road near dusk. Moose have that perfect combination of size, poor eyesight, poor intelligence, and aggressive nature to be one of the deadliest mammals on earth. The hippos of North America. Glad to hear that yours was just a scare.
    I see them from time to time as well, but they've generally been off the trail or I've spotted them well in advance to take precaution. This guy was right in the middle of the trail, which is a fairly popular trail. I was surprised he would plant himself there.

When I got home, I did a little research on bull moose and I found out that this time of year is when they get more aggressive because it's mating season. From what I gathered, they will charge you to push you out of their space, rather than continue to attack like a cow moose might with her young. Death isn't very common, but I'm sure serious injury was likely if he hadn't turned.

Glad you made it unscathed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

Glad you made it unscathed.
    Now I'm feeling a little offended he didn't find me suitable.

What happened there? Did he misjudge the turn and slam on the brakes?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

I like that the cyclist who is probably doing around 35 mph can slam into a fence and still get up and want to finish. Soccer players get tripped up on the soft grass and they're down for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I like that the cyclist who is probably doing around 35 mph can slam into a fence and still get up and want to finish. Soccer players get tripped up on the soft grass and they're down for five minutes.
    Unless there is a chance for a goal. Then they are up and at full speed immediately.

The two guys behind him almost went into the wall as well, but they were able to save it (although they lost all momentum and were passed). It seems like that triangle-shaped patch of resurfacing was where he lost it; the other two were able to turn inside of it.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

All I was able to come up with was that there's a bit of a lip where the new asphalt was, catching his front wheel for a split second throwing all of his momentum forward before giving way sending him on completely off balance.

All I was able to come up with was that there's a bit of a lip where the new asphalt was, catching his front wheel for a split second throwing all of his momentum forward before giving way sending him on completely off balance.
    That's a good guess. Something locked up his front wheel as he went over the top, almost slo-mo. Probably combo of sudden deceleration from the lip and his too aggressive braking. Painful to watch.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.