Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    I am re-outfitting my old mission bike, a Univega Alpina Pro. If I want to go mid-upper range on shifters, suspension, derailleur, rims, tires, bars, etc. what are some reasonable options?

BikePedia - Bicycle Value Guide
    For drivetrain, go to a 1 x (1 gear in front, 11 to 12 gears in back). No front derailleur to worry about anymore. Shimano SLX or SRAM NX are the lowest I would go for good reliability.

You might have a hard time finding new wheels and tires that are 26", use rim brakes, and fit the old quick release system. Start watching for deals on craigslist, eBay, or Facebook marketplace. Same with a suspension fork. They just don't make new parts for 26" wheels anymore.

Don't worry about bars, stems, seatpost, etc., unless yours are broken, or you want a different position (more upright, etc.).

A new seat might important.

I rebuild an old Ibis Mojo steel hardtail abuot 10 years ago. It was easier then, with more 26" wheel parts, including new RockShox forks. Parts are getting harder to find.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 06-07-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Ian Boswell won the Unbound 200 mile gravel road race in Kansas last weekend. His Specialized Diverge sports an awesome old school Rockhopper paint scheme.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

For drivetrain, go to a 1 x (1 gear in front, 11 to 12 gears in back). No front derailleur to worry about anymore. Shimano SLX or SRAM NX are the lowest I would go for good reliability.

You might have a hard time finding new wheels and tires that are 26", use rim brakes, and fit the old quick release system. Start watching for deals on craigslist, eBay, or Facebook marketplace. Same with a suspension fork. They just don't make new parts for 26" wheels anymore.

Don't worry about bars, stems, seatpost, etc., unless yours are broken, or you want a different position (more upright, etc.).

A new seat might important.

I rebuild an old Ibis Mojo steel hardtail abuot 10 years ago. It was easier then, with more 26" wheel parts, including new RockShox forks. Parts are getting harder to find.
        Thanks.

Do I have other options on the wheels if I'm willing to forego the old quick release system?

My frame is in superb condition and that's where the sentimental value is too.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

Thanks.

Do I have other options on the wheels if I'm willing to forego the old quick release system?

My frame is in superb condition and that's where the sentimental value is too.
          Probably not. The 26” wheel size is going to be the limiting factor. Most 26” wheel sets used the old quick release system anyways. Check out Facebook for some vintage mountain bike group in your area there is one in Utah. There is also a BIke Collective in SLC and Ogden that people donate old bikes and parts to. If you have something similar in your area, it might be a good source for parts.
          Last edited by chrisrenrut; 06-08-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Probably not. The 26” wheel size is going to be the limiting factor. Most 26” wheel sets used the old quick release system anyways. Check out Facebook for some vintage mountain bike group in your area there is one in Utah. There is also a BIke Collective in SLC and Ogden that people donate old bikes and parts to. If you have something similar in your area, it might be a good source for parts.
            And when he visits the Treasure Valley, he can go to the Boise Bicycle Project.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Paris Roubaix

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                  All the bumping that goes on in a bunch sprint with riders going 35+ mph is crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post

All the bumping that goes on in a bunch sprint with riders going 35+ mph is crazy.
                    Scary stuff. The control is amazing.

Comment

• How can you not love Pogacar?

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I recently jumped on the gravel bike bandwagon. Picked up an Intense 951 gravel with Shimano GRX drivetrain, and 700x40mm tires. It can take up to 45mm wide, or 2.1 mountain tires, which I may eventually upgrade to. Still has tubes, but is built to easily convert to tubeless.

Got it mostly for bike commuting to work, which I've been doing a couple of days per week for the last 3 weeks. Really enjoying it. The ride is so much more comfortable than a true road bike. The geometry is not nearly as aggressive, and the fatter tires smooth the road out a ton. Definitely takes a lot more work than a road bike. I've taken it on several dirt trails, but it was pretty rough. About shook my eyeballs out of my head. I may grab a suspension stem, which my cousin uses on his bike, to help smooth out the bumps while on gravel and dirt.

Also hoping to do some bikepacking trips over on the California coastline. Looking to grab some front and rear panniers. Can't wait to try it out!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X