Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    So wasn't something supposed to be read from the pulpit this week? Didn't happen in our ward. I was looking forward to watching the reactions of the homophobe scout-lifers in our ward as the FP letter was read.
    I was disappointed too. My homophobe in-laws are in town and wanted to see their reaction.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      I had no idea there was a ban on agnostics/atheist scouts or leaders. I guess I should know that, given that God is mentioned in the oath, but it also seems to be not at all enforceable. And silly.
      I have found that no one likes an atheist. When I became an Elk, I had to swear to a belief in God. At the time I didn't believe in God, but I joined because they had cheap drinks. Then when I didn't want to drink, I went to meetings and found out that step two required me to acknowledge a belief in a higher power. Again, I crossed my fingers. I've since compromised and become an agnostic. I allow for the possibility of a God, just so long as that God also allows for the occasional cocktail.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
        I have found that no one likes an atheist. When I became an Elk, I had to swear to a belief in God. At the time I didn't believe in God, but I joined because they had cheap drinks. Then when I didn't want to drink, I went to meetings and found out that step two required me to acknowledge a belief in a higher power. Again, I crossed my fingers. I've since compromised and become an agnostic. I allow for the possibility of a God, just so long as that God also allows for the occasional cocktail.
        So do you have one of those cool hats?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Nice column in the Des News:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...on.html?pg=all

Third, the resolution regarding sexual orientation should be a clarion call that God loves us all. Any parent ought to divorce himself from the poisonous attitude that his son is any better than another because he happens to be a star football player, or a member of the National Honor Society, or because he isn’t experiencing same-sex attraction and someone else in the troop is.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Just because God loves us all doesn't mean he doesn't think some of us are better than others. After all he set up 3 different Kingdoms didn't he?

Now, because I am better than someone else doesn't mean I can demean, harass or cause harm to that person.

My life experiences has taught me there are people better than I and I am actually smart enough to watch and learn from them.

Clarion call my ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              Just because God loves us all doesn't mean he doesn't think some of us are better than others. After all he set up 3 different Kingdoms didn't he?

Now, because I am better than someone else doesn't mean I can demean, harass or cause harm to that person.

My life experiences has taught me there are people better than I and I am actually smart enough to watch and learn from them.

Clarion call my ass.
              Wow.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Wow.
                It's a choice!
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• The Southern Baptist Conference will be held soon and they are looking to recommend that each church remove scouts from their churches etc.. But they will leave it up to each individual church..

Interesting little nugget in this article:

The Mormon church, which sponsors most of the troops, has endorsed allowing gay Scouts. The Roman Catholic Church, the second-largest troop sponsor, has said it was going to use the time before the new policy takes effect on Jan. 1 to think about how and if it would affect the church.
                  http://abcnews.go.com/US/churches-se...0#.UaiqWtJQFyw

Comment

• Last night was the Pinewood Derby, after one of the races I said to someone "This is a great way to celebrate the change on homosexual involvement!" They just smiled and turned to talk to someone else. I think it was mostly a positive experience for all involved, plus we managed to not come in last place!
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

I don't know if this is a tag along to what I said, but to be clear to anyone who hasn't read what I have said in the past, I firmly believe in most all cases whether one is gay or not is NOT a choice. Even it it was, it wouldn't bother me if someone made the choice to be gay.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        Last night was the Pinewood Derby, after one of the races I said to someone "This is a great way to celebrate the change on homosexual involvement!" They just smiled and turned to talk to someone else. I think it was mostly a positive experience for all involved, plus we managed to not come in last place!
                        This reminded me of a Letterman Top Ten List, "Ten Least Popular Merit Badges," that may need to revision in view of the recent change:

10. Spit craft
                        9. Sitting in fire
                        8. Judy Garland lore
                        7. Throat clearing
                        6. Shallow grave maintenance
                        5. Afternoon with Linda Lavin
                        4. Trouser tenting
                        3. Gatlin brother identification
                        2. Heimliching squirrels
                        1. Choreography

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          This reminded me of a Letterman Top Ten List, "Ten Least Popular Merit Badges," that may need to revision in view of the recent change:

10. Spit craft
                          9. Sitting in fire
                          8. Judy Garland lore
                          7. Throat clearing
                          6. Shallow grave maintenance
                          5. Afternoon with Linda Lavin
                          4. Trouser tenting
                          3. Gatlin brother identification
                          2. Heimliching squirrels
                          1. Choreography
                          i got my Trouser Tenting merit badge on the Spanish Trail in 1971. Good times.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            Last night was the Pinewood Derby, after one of the races I said to someone "This is a great way to celebrate the change on homosexual involvement!" They just smiled and turned to talk to someone else. I think it was mostly a positive experience for all involved, plus we managed to not come in last place!
                            I wish I could have been there to see that.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I'm happy something like this is published in the Desnews. I just wish that Mormonism hadn't latched on to the terms "same-sex attraction" or "same-gender attraction." Any time it's used I feel like they're referring to a disease.
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                                I'm happy something like this is published in the Desnews. I just wish that Mormonism hadn't latched on to the terms "same-sex attraction" or "same-gender attraction." Any time it's used I feel like they're referring to a disease.
                                Wow, I never got that impression from those terms. It seems to me they are simply delineating a difference between the orientation and the activity.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                                X