Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

I was at scout camp last week. If I had to judge by one of the camp leaders I'd have to think that gays are already serving in the Boy Scouts.

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    I was at scout camp last week. If I had to judge by one of the camp leaders I'd have to think that gays are already serving in the Boy Scouts.
    Until I see gays in our military I remain skeptical.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

After a confidential two-year review, the Boy Scouts of America on Tuesday emphatically reaffirmed its policy of excluding gays, ruling out any changes despite relentless protest campaigns by some critics.

An 11-member special committee, formed discreetly by top Scout leaders in 2010, "came to the conclusion that this policy is absolutely the best policy for the Boy Scouts," the organization' national spokesman, Deron Smith, told The Associated Press.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/17...m-ban-on-gays/

Crap.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Makes me unhappy on many levels.

The quote said "reaffirmed its policy of excluding gays," but gays are only excluded from being adult leaders, right? Is that the policy they are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    The quote said "reaffirmed its policy of excluding gays," but gays are only excluded from being adult leaders, right? Is that the policy they are talking about?
    I could be wrong, but I believe openly gay scouts are verboten as well. I know they don't allow atheist scouts. How strictly this is enforced probably depends largely on where you live.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe openly gay scouts are verboten as well. I know they don't allow atheist scouts. How strictly this is enforced probably depends largely on where you live.
    There are no atheists in a snipe hunt. Too soon?
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

My nonmember colleague used to be heavily involved in scouts. His troup was non-denominational. They had a volunteer that would coach the atheist scouts on how to answer the belief questions at a court of honor. He told me there was one scout that openly said 'no' to a belief of God question at his court of honor. They either called it off or reconvened it for a later date. Meanwhile, this volunteer offered his help. They somehow crafted an acceptable response that involved a love/belief in nature/God's creation.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

This outcome tells you the LDS church hasn't changed a much as some of you hope.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I wonder which commandment it was that James Morrison Jr. couldn't keep?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I wonder which commandment it was that James Morrison Jr. couldn't keep?
    Being morally straight
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Quote Originally Posted by DU Ute View Post
    Being morally straight
    Speaking of Scouts, I remember a great joke from Boy's Life Magazine.

Q: What did the Scoutmaster say when he picked his car up from the mechanic?
    A: Beep. Repaired!

Our council is trying to come up with a policy that will allow us to be gay-friendly and still not get kicked out of the BSA. Seems to me that ought to be possible.

What I've never understood is why this even comes up. I've had kids in my troops over the years who seemed to be gay and later came out, but while they were in the troop it wasn't an issue. In most Scout troops leaders are not talking about their sexual orientation or conduct around the boys, and the boys don't talk about such matters - not around the campfire, at least. Most 12-16 year old boys are not sexually active anyway. So I don't see a problem with gay scouts or gay leaders, as long as they're not acting out. Hetero leaders and Scouts, as well as gay leaders and Scouts, should be booted if they are acting out sexually or talking about sexual matters with the boys. That's how it seems to me, anyway.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Our council is trying to come up with a policy that will allow us to be gay-friendly and still not get kicked out of the BSA. Seems to me that ought to be possible.

What I've never understood is why this even comes up. I've had kids in my troops over the years who seemed to be gay and later came out, but while they were in the troop it wasn't an issue. In most Scout troops leaders are not talking about their sexual orientation or conduct around the boys, and the boys don't talk about such matters - not around the campfire, at least. Most 12-16 year old boys are not sexually active anyway. So I don't see a problem with gay scouts or gay leaders, as long as they're not acting out. Hetero leaders and Scouts, as well as gay leaders and Scouts, should be booted if they are acting out sexually or talking about sexual matters with the boys. That's how it seems to me, anyway.
    you started out well but crashed and burned towards the middle there. I still see this as progress, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I call BS on the author of that letter. Nobody calls it an Eagle medal.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This outcome tells you the LDS church hasn't changed a much as some of you hope.
    As much as we hoped, maybe, but as far as expectations, I don't think anyone was surprised by this.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I call BS on the author of that letter. Nobody calls it an Eagle medal.

What do you call it?

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Speaking of Scouts, I remember a great joke from Boy's Life Magazine.

Q: What did the Scoutmaster say when he picked his car up from the mechanic?
    A: Beep. Repaired!
    In fourth grade, at our school's talent show, I did a five-minute stand-up comedy routine consisting entirely of jokes from my older bro's Boy's Life. I totally rocked the Parsons School cafeteria that day.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    In fourth grade, at our school's talent show, I did a five-minute stand-up comedy routine consisting entirely of jokes from my older bro's Boy's Life. I totally rocked the Parsons School cafeteria that day.
    So stand up routines have been the highlights of your academic career at every stage. One wagers your mother is ever so proud!

Another one. I sense a trend.

Another one. I sense a trend.

This one called it a badge. That actually sounds more like common usage to me. Not that it matters much.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

To the BSA:

I return my second class rank and fishing merit badge (I don't have them any longer but please expunge my records). I wish I had made Eagle so I could resign from that. I will not hold awards from a bigoted organization.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

To the BSA:

I return my second class rank and fishing merit badge (I don't have them any longer but please expunge my records). I wish I had made Eagle so I could resign from that. I will not hold awards from a bigoted organization.

To the BSA:

You care more about making the effort to expunge your Boy Scout records than your LDS church records?

To the BSA:

There is a Scout Shop somewhere near you. You can buy the badges there and send them in. Shouldn't cost you more than a few dollars.
    ― W.H. Auden

There is a Scout Shop somewhere near you. You can buy the badges there and send them in. Shouldn't cost you more than a few dollars.
    Think again... those BSA badges are expensive. Su, just buy some cheap used ones off ebay or something. e.g. here is a whole set for $4...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boy-Scout-Ra...#ht_500wt_1189
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This one called it a badge. That actually sounds more like common usage to me. Not that it matters much.
    Sorry, but this whole "badge vs medal" issue is a lame cheapshot at the sender of the first letter.

Look at the top of the photo with this second letter. There is both a badge and a medal. The photo of the first letter only included the medal. Yes, it is common for someone to say "I earned my eagle badge", but the reference made perfect sense in terms of what the guy was including with the letter.