Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I wonder why it is an issue for Mo scouts at all? What percentage of Mo scout troops/varsity units are headed by someone in the ward that is called by the Bishop? In other words, no OUT gay man will be heading up a Mo troop anytime soon.
    It's an issue of association, not implementation.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I wonder why it is an issue for Mo scouts at all? What percentage of Mo scout troops/varsity units are headed by someone in the ward that is called by the Bishop? In other words, no OUT gay man will be heading up a Mo troop anytime soon.
      Is there an unwritten (or possibly written) rule that people who experience SSA cannot serve in the young mens or young womans organization?
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

I particularly like this reader comment to the article:

Boys need to learn the gay life style and see if it's for them. They can make it a merit badge.

Comment

I don't know but I am guessing that the fear is that somehow the church will lose the freedom to call whomever it wishes as a scout leader. I don't know why that would be. Right now, in our council here, there is effectively a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which works. As long as chartered organizations get to choose their own leaders, I don't know why there would be an issue.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            This
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
              Is there an unwritten (or possibly written) rule that people who experience SSA cannot serve in the young mens or young womans organization?
              I know the LDS Church does want Bishops to closer examine those individuals called to any positions dealing with youth, but I don't know if there is a specific set of guidelines.

I do recall a few years ago that there was an emphasis on new members of a ward not being called to those positions until the Bishop got to know the individuals a little better.

Comment

I'm with DDD. It's not like the BSA is encouraging being gay or even much approving of it. They are only considering lifting a ban of a form of participation. As the church encourages participation of its gay members, I'm not sure a minor change like the one suggested would cause the Church to sever its ties. It would be a pretty frivolous excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                  I'm with DDD. It's not like the BSA is encouraging being gay or even much approving of it. They are only considering lifting a ban of a form of participation. As the church encourages participation of its gay members, I'm not sure a minor change like the one suggested would cause the Church to sever its ties. It would be a pretty frivolous excuse.
                  You agree with me as well, then. I never said I had an issue with the association. But I think the church will. Selfishly, I hope they will. Scouting is a dry well.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

You agree with me as well, then. I never said I had an issue with the association. But I think the church will. Selfishly, I hope they will. Scouting is a dry well.
                    We share the same opinion.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                      I particularly like this reader comment to the article:
                      There is a religion merit badge, no? That is much more of a lifestyle choice than being gay is.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        We share the same opinion.
                        I don't agree, but I can see why you feel that way. Done right, LDS Scouting can be wonderful. It's rarely done right, however, and I am not sure that can be changed.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                          I don't agree, but I can see why you feel that way. Done right, LDS Scouting can be wonderful. It's rarely done right, however, and I am not sure that can be changed.
                          The most important callings to the scouting program are typically the ones that are not filled with competent or willing people (other than Scoutmaster). A functioning scout committee can go a long, long way in improving each program, however the "scout committee chair" calling is typically a second or even third calling for a person and that leaves them little time to do it properly.

LDS scouting also sucks when it comes to budget and funding but that has been rehashed thoroughly in other threads
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
                            I know the LDS Church does want Bishops to closer examine those individuals called to any positions dealing with youth, but I don't know if there is a specific set of guidelines.

I do recall a few years ago that there was an emphasis on new members of a ward not being called to those positions until the Bishop got to know the individuals a little better.
                            I'm fairly sure my stake has an unspoken rule that one has to hold a TR to serve in the YM organization. There is also a wait period for move ins as you describe.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

That was what was so maddeningly absurd about the LDS opposition to gays back in 2000. It simply would not be an issue for LDS troops due to the fact that BSA leadership in LDS units is staffed by callings. And even so, why are people worried about openly gay leaders? It is the closeted pedophiles that are the problem, and the BSA already has policies in place to deal with that (two-deep leadership, etc.).

The BSA should have the guts to right this wrong and the Church should stay out of the way.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You agree with me as well, then. I never said I had an issue with the association. But I think the church will. Selfishly, I hope they will. Scouting is a dry well as currently implemented by LDS.
                                Made a minor but important clarification.

If the church does "dump" the scouting program, I wonder if they would allow local units to sponsor troops. In other words, scouting is replaced by Duty to God or some other program but local leadership still allows a BSA troop to meet in the ward building (basically a sponsor).

That would open up some interesting possibiliteis - like freedom of choice to join any local LDS sponsored troop. That would be awesome. The YM and parents who really want to participate in scouting would eventually migrate to a troop that has it together and could set parental expectations accordingly. No more Moms slowing down the Mo battlewagon just enough to kick their YM out before peeling back out of the church parking lot.

Or the LDS families that want to do scouting could all join the local Methodist BSA troop.
                                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                                X