Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 1,561 to 1,584 of 1584

Thread: Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The church (via Elder Christofferson) has explicitly said that you can be pro-gay marriage and still hold a temple recommend.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...74&itype=CMSID

My dad and I have this discussion about twice a year. He knows I don’t fully support the Proclamation of the Family and I do support gay marriage. He almost always ends with a parting shot that I’m at risk of losing my TR. My parting shot is an extreme eye roll and a big Lebowski special “Ohhhhhhhh.......brother!”
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

For a limited-use temple recommend? Absolutely.

Given the recent changes, you are also allowed to be present with the bishop and your child for all interviews if you wish.
    I'll send you my bishop's number. He and I see this issue differently. The comment that started it was "We are very specific about the law of chastity in our interviews, and make sure the youth are abiding every aspect of the law."

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

The church (via Elder Christofferson) has explicitly said that you can be pro-gay marriage and still hold a temple recommend.

I may be wrong, but I think he retracted that statement a few days later (or at least watered it down).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I'll send you my bishop's number. He and I see this issue differently. The comment that started it was "We are very specific about the law of chastity in our interviews, and make sure the youth are abiding every aspect of the law."
    Gross.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

He should either be corrected by the SP or released. IMO, it is a huge red flag with him that he wants to be very specific in questioning teenagers about their sex lives. I would not let my child be alone with him.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think he retracted that statement a few days later (or at least watered it down).
    It is already very watered down in that form. It is basically, sure go ahead and believe in gay marriage, but remain quiet about your belief.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

"Yo bishop- I masturbate but I make sure I stop before things get out of hand. We good?"
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    It is already very watered down in that form. It is basically, sure go ahead and believe in gay marriage, but remain quiet about your belief.
    huh? didn't he say you could post it on social media?
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I would love to read that 10,000 word response from the SP counselor.

For the record, the temple recommend questions are designed for a self evaluation. They are yes-no questions and ecclesiastical leaders are explicitly instructed to not go beyond the questions. People tend to interpret some of the questions differently and that is fine.
    amen. this needs to be shouted from the pulpits. I used to have people say things like "well, I support gay marriage" or "I drink coffee on occasion". I would simply respond - I asked a yes or no question, a yes or no answer will be fine.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I thought they were told years ago to not be so specific. Why put a thought into a kid's head that they wouldn't otherwise even consider? When I was a deacon, he first time I had an interview to get a recommend for doing baptisms for the dead, the bishop asked something along the lines of doing inappropriate things with animals. The thought had never crossed my mind. No bishop since has asked that kind of question. Wouldn't an overzealous bishop or stake pres be held accountable at the last day for being the one to plant thoughts into a kid's mind that led them down such a path?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I thought they were told years ago to not be so specific. Why put a thought into a kid's head that they wouldn't otherwise even consider? When I was a deacon, he first time I had an interview to get a recommend for doing baptisms for the dead, the bishop asked something along the lines of doing inappropriate things with animals. The thought had never crossed my mind. No bishop since has asked that kind of question. Wouldn't an overzealous bishop or stake pres be held accountable at the last day for being the one to plant thoughts into a kid's mind that led them down such a path?
    I'm imagining a bishop with a set of flash cards.

"Okay, next question. Have you ever done this...?" *flips over flashcard depicting random kama sutra position*
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I think your bishop skipped a couple steps!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

very sorry to hear of your addiction, mtnbiker. i’m sure some posters can give you the name of a good therapist. not sure about dog therapists though, don’t think that’s a thing.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    very sorry to hear of your addiction, mtnbiker. i’m sure some posters can give you the name of a good therapist. not sure about dog therapists though, don’t think that’s a thing.
    Sure it is. https://ahermandogtherapist.com/abou...-communicator/
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Depending on whether Eddie is a counselor to a bishop or the SP (or even a SP himself!), this could be a serious humblebrag.
    Counselor to the bishop - but I've been there a while. So I've got experience due to sticking it out, but nothing to brag about.

I like to take the "big tent with room for all" approach. Unless someone goes crazy.

I've had parents come in for interviews. Had a couple of brand new 12 year-olds who wanted their first temple recommend and were nervous because they didn't know what to expect. When I asked the law of chastity question, they responded with "what does that mean?" At that point I had them agree to have a conversation with their parents about it when we were done, and moved on. Parents were a little wide eyed - but I think I did them a favor by helping to initiate the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    amen. this needs to be shouted from the pulpits. I used to have people say things like "well, I support gay marriage" or "I drink coffee on occasion". I would simply respond - I asked a yes or no question, a yes or no answer will be fine.
    My sister-in-law once answered the "are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man" question with "I try to be". The Stake President counselor paused, looked up at her, and just said "it's a yes or no question." Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

I've had parents come in for interviews. Had a couple of brand new 12 year-olds who wanted their first temple recommend and were nervous because they didn't know what to expect. When I asked the law of chastity question, they responded with "what does that mean?" At that point I had them agree to have a conversation with their parents about it when we were done, and moved on. Parents were a little wide eyed - but I think I did them a favor by helping to initiate the conversation.
    Good job counselor, you definitely did them all a favor.
    --SeattleUte

The idea that a TR holder has to not only believe and uphold an LDS standard himself but favor legal enforcement/compulsion of said LDS standard on all citizens cracks me up. Come on people!

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeah. I think Wuap would love my ward in Scottsdale. I have had zero experiences or conversations like the ones he always talks about; for example, we always do a joint w the Lutheran Church.
    Sounds pretty chill
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Y'all hear that? We're using code names. --Evelle Snoats

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Sounds pretty chill

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Wuap are you going to start cheering for Utah Utes now?
    Does wuap like sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Does wuap like sports?
    You won’t even talk to Wuap or ask him a direct question because he’s not Mormon anymore. Harsh. But I respect it.

Wuap. Applejack wants me to ask you if you even like sports. Also, do you even lift bro?

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Wuap. Applejack wants me to ask you if you even like sports. Also, do you even lift bro?
    Keep talking to yourself, weirdo. Wuap no longer posts on this august site and hasn't for over a page now.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    What was announced was that they will be announcing a program in 7 months. The program was announced and it treated girls the same as boys. That is not an approach the LDS church is willing to support in any way. It was sent as a message. It is not a coincidence that the LDS church jumped out the day after it was announced that the programs would be parallel programs. I'm sure if the BSA came out with a program for girls that was focused on motherhood they would have been all in.
    It’s hilarious that you think the Church decided to get out of scouting and made an announcement all within 24 hours. This has been in the works for years. If anything, the announcement by “Scouts BSA” is more likely to have been a reaction to the Church’s decision. They are more in need of a boost in membership than ever before.