Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    The church (via Elder Christofferson) has explicitly said that you can be pro-gay marriage and still hold a temple recommend.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...74&itype=CMSID

My dad and I have this discussion about twice a year. He knows I don’t fully support the Proclamation of the Family and I do support gay marriage. He almost always ends with a parting shot that I’m at risk of losing my TR. My parting shot is an extreme eye roll and a big Lebowski special “Ohhhhhhhh.......brother!”
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

For a limited-use temple recommend? Absolutely.

Given the recent changes, you are also allowed to be present with the bishop and your child for all interviews if you wish.
      I'll send you my bishop's number. He and I see this issue differently. The comment that started it was "We are very specific about the law of chastity in our interviews, and make sure the youth are abiding every aspect of the law."
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

The church (via Elder Christofferson) has explicitly said that you can be pro-gay marriage and still hold a temple recommend.

I may be wrong, but I think he retracted that statement a few days later (or at least watered it down).
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          I'll send you my bishop's number. He and I see this issue differently. The comment that started it was "We are very specific about the law of chastity in our interviews, and make sure the youth are abiding every aspect of the law."
          Gross.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He should either be corrected by the SP or released. IMO, it is a huge red flag with him that he wants to be very specific in questioning teenagers about their sex lives. I would not let my child be alone with him.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I may be wrong, but I think he retracted that statement a few days later (or at least watered it down).
              It is already very watered down in that form. It is basically, sure go ahead and believe in gay marriage, but remain quiet about your belief.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• "Yo bishop- I masturbate but I make sure I stop before things get out of hand. We good?"
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  It is already very watered down in that form. It is basically, sure go ahead and believe in gay marriage, but remain quiet about your belief.
                  huh? didn't he say you could post it on social media?
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

I would love to read that 10,000 word response from the SP counselor.

For the record, the temple recommend questions are designed for a self evaluation. They are yes-no questions and ecclesiastical leaders are explicitly instructed to not go beyond the questions. People tend to interpret some of the questions differently and that is fine.
                    amen. this needs to be shouted from the pulpits. I used to have people say things like "well, I support gay marriage" or "I drink coffee on occasion". I would simply respond - I asked a yes or no question, a yes or no answer will be fine.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

I thought they were told years ago to not be so specific. Why put a thought into a kid's head that they wouldn't otherwise even consider? When I was a deacon, he first time I had an interview to get a recommend for doing baptisms for the dead, the bishop asked something along the lines of doing inappropriate things with animals. The thought had never crossed my mind. No bishop since has asked that kind of question. Wouldn't an overzealous bishop or stake pres be held accountable at the last day for being the one to plant thoughts into a kid's mind that led them down such a path?

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        I thought they were told years ago to not be so specific. Why put a thought into a kid's head that they wouldn't otherwise even consider? When I was a deacon, he first time I had an interview to get a recommend for doing baptisms for the dead, the bishop asked something along the lines of doing inappropriate things with animals. The thought had never crossed my mind. No bishop since has asked that kind of question. Wouldn't an overzealous bishop or stake pres be held accountable at the last day for being the one to plant thoughts into a kid's mind that led them down such a path?
                        I'm imagining a bishop with a set of flash cards.

"Okay, next question. Have you ever done this...?" *flips over flashcard depicting random kama sutra position*
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think your bishop skipped a couple steps!
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

very sorry to hear of your addiction, mtnbiker. i’m sure some posters can give you the name of a good therapist. not sure about dog therapists though, don’t think that’s a thing.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              very sorry to hear of your addiction, mtnbiker. i’m sure some posters can give you the name of a good therapist. not sure about dog therapists though, don’t think that’s a thing.
                              Sure it is. https://ahermandogtherapist.com/abou...-communicator/
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Depending on whether Eddie is a counselor to a bishop or the SP (or even a SP himself!), this could be a serious humblebrag.
                                Counselor to the bishop - but I've been there a while. So I've got experience due to sticking it out, but nothing to brag about.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I like to take the "big tent with room for all" approach. Unless someone goes crazy.

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                                I've had parents come in for interviews. Had a couple of brand new 12 year-olds who wanted their first temple recommend and were nervous because they didn't know what to expect. When I asked the law of chastity question, they responded with "what does that mean?" At that point I had them agree to have a conversation with their parents about it when we were done, and moved on. Parents were a little wide eyed - but I think I did them a favor by helping to initiate the conversation.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                amen. this needs to be shouted from the pulpits. I used to have people say things like "well, I support gay marriage" or "I drink coffee on occasion". I would simply respond - I asked a yes or no question, a yes or no answer will be fine.
                                My sister-in-law once answered the "are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man" question with "I try to be". The Stake President counselor paused, looked up at her, and just said "it's a yes or no question." Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X