No announcement yet.

Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our council is trying to come up with a policy that will allow us to be gay-friendly and still not get kicked out of the BSA. Seems to me that ought to be possible.

What I've never understood is why this even comes up. I've had kids in my troops over the years who seemed to be gay and later came out, but while they were in the troop it wasn't an issue. In most Scout troops leaders are not talking about their sexual orientation or conduct around the boys, and the boys don't talk about such matters - not around the campfire, at least. Most 12-16 year old boys are not sexually active anyway. So I don't see a problem with gay scouts or gay leaders, as long as they're not acting out. Hetero leaders and Scouts, as well as gay leaders and Scouts, should be booted if they are acting out sexually or talking about sexual matters with the boys. That's how it seems to me, anyway.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
      Our council is trying to come up with a policy that will allow us to be gay-friendly and still not get kicked out of the BSA. Seems to me that ought to be possible.

What I've never understood is why this even comes up. I've had kids in my troops over the years who seemed to be gay and later came out, but while they were in the troop it wasn't an issue. In most Scout troops leaders are not talking about their sexual orientation or conduct around the boys, and the boys don't talk about such matters - not around the campfire, at least. Most 12-16 year old boys are not sexually active anyway. So I don't see a problem with gay scouts or gay leaders, as long as they're not acting out. Hetero leaders and Scouts, as well as gay leaders and Scouts, should be booted if they are acting out sexually or talking about sexual matters with the boys. That's how it seems to me, anyway.
      you started out well but crashed and burned towards the middle there. I still see this as progress, though.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I call BS on the author of that letter. Nobody calls it an Eagle medal.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          This outcome tells you the LDS church hasn't changed a much as some of you hope.
          As much as we hoped, maybe, but as far as expectations, I don't think anyone was surprised by this.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            I call BS on the author of that letter. Nobody calls it an Eagle medal.

What do you call it?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              Speaking of Scouts, I remember a great joke from Boy's Life Magazine.

Q: What did the Scoutmaster say when he picked his car up from the mechanic?
              A: Beep. Repaired!
              In fourth grade, at our school's talent show, I did a five-minute stand-up comedy routine consisting entirely of jokes from my older bro's Boy's Life. I totally rocked the Parsons School cafeteria that day.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                In fourth grade, at our school's talent show, I did a five-minute stand-up comedy routine consisting entirely of jokes from my older bro's Boy's Life. I totally rocked the Parsons School cafeteria that day.
                So stand up routines have been the highlights of your academic career at every stage. One wagers your mother is ever so proud!
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Another one. I sense a trend.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Another one. I sense a trend.

This one called it a badge. That actually sounds more like common usage to me. Not that it matters much.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

To the BSA:

I return my second class rank and fishing merit badge (I don't have them any longer but please expunge my records). I wish I had made Eagle so I could resign from that. I will not hold awards from a bigoted organization.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

To the BSA:

I return my second class rank and fishing merit badge (I don't have them any longer but please expunge my records). I wish I had made Eagle so I could resign from that. I will not hold awards from a bigoted organization.

Comment

To the BSA:

You care more about making the effort to expunge your Boy Scout records than your LDS church records?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

To the BSA:

There is a Scout Shop somewhere near you. You can buy the badges there and send them in. Shouldn't cost you more than a few dollars.
                            ― W.H. Auden

Comment

There is a Scout Shop somewhere near you. You can buy the badges there and send them in. Shouldn't cost you more than a few dollars.
                              Think again... those BSA badges are expensive. Su, just buy some cheap used ones off ebay or something. e.g. here is a whole set for $4...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boy-Scout-Ra...#ht_500wt_1189
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This one called it a badge. That actually sounds more like common usage to me. Not that it matters much.
                                Sorry, but this whole "badge vs medal" issue is a lame cheapshot at the sender of the first letter.

Look at the top of the photo with this second letter. There is both a badge and a medal. The photo of the first letter only included the medal. Yes, it is common for someone to say "I earned my eagle badge", but the reference made perfect sense in terms of what the guy was including with the letter.

Comment

Working...
                                X