Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    haha. Scouting will be a lot better off without LDS affiliation. I’m so glad it finally got rid of this abusive spouse. There’s a huge need for what it provides. REI has a cult following. Millenials are avid campers and their kids are maturing past toddlers. Private schools give kids the same camping and backpacking opportunities than you or I ever got as kids. Of course, most kids don’t have that. But what BSA provides is still very valuable, indispensable even. In fact, the BSA model for progressing through merit badges, etc. is similar to other very popular disciplines for kids like Suzuki and Martial arts.

The future is bright for the BSA. The thing that was killing it was the reputation for being sexist and homophobic. That’s gone. I think it wil really thrive in the metro areas.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

haha. Scouting will be a lot better off without LDS affiliation. I’m so glad it finally got rid of this abusive spouse. There’s a huge need for what it provides. REI has a cult following. Millenials are avid campers and their kids are maturing past toddlers. Private schools give kids the same camping and backpacking opportunities than you or I ever got as kids. Of course, most kids don’t have that. But what BSA provides is still very valuable, indispensable even. In fact, the BSA model for progressing through merit badges, etc. is similar to other very popular disciplines for kids like Suzuki and Martial arts.

The future is bright for the BSA. The thing that was killing it was the reputation for being sexist and homophobic. That’s gone. I think it wil really thrive in the metro areas.
      You did notice, I assume, that JL's question related to camps in UTAH? You might be right about the organization formerly known as the BSA (although I think there are quite a few inaccuracies and exaggerartions in your post) in some communities, but it certainly will not help them in Utah. I bet one of the reasons the BSA owns so much real estate in Utah and other LDS areas is because the the lands were donated by faithful LDS in order to promote the church's mission. This will be a terrible blow to the BSA in Intermountain area.

None of this, of course, has any bearing on your prior arguments. I look forward to your next sidestep.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        You did notice, I assume, that JL's question related to camps in UTAH? You might be right about the organization formerly known as the BSA (although I think there are quite a few inaccuracies and exaggerartions in your post) in some communities, but it certainly will not help them in Utah. I bet one of the reasons the BSA owns so much real estate in Utah and other LDS areas is because the the lands were donated by faithful LDS in order to promote the church's mission. This will be a terrible blow to the BSA in Intermountain area.

None of this, of course, has any bearing on your prior arguments. I look forward to your next sidestep.
        We live in a very mobile society. If Utah resources are among BSA’s Crown Jewels, they will travel to Utah. Utah has a lot of natural beauty. High desert is very popular with people in urban centers, including the coasts. Utah has glamour insofar as its nature.

Maybe when all this settles down Utahns will return to scouting. Why not? Because the LDS Church is alienating them against it? There certainly is a historic, cultural and geographic nexus. Like I say, everyone needs to get away from the abusive dad/spouse, and put this divorce behind them. Then new relationships can form. Change is good.

Really, history just marches on. Religion becomes less and less relevant my the minute.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

We live in a very mobile society. If Utah resources are among BSA’s Crown Jewels, they will travel to Utah. Utah has a lot of natural beauty. High desert is very popular with people in urban centers, including the coasts. Utah has glamour insofar as its nature.

Maybe when all this settles down Utahns will return to scouting. Why not? Because the LDS Church is alienating them against it? There certainly is a historic, cultural and geographic nexus. Like I say, everyone needs to get away from the abusive dad/spouse, and put this divorce behind them. Then new relationships can form. Change is good.

Really, history just marches on. Religion becomes less and less relevant my the minute.
          Sure, people will pour in to use the camps. What's more likely is that the church's new programs will rent time at the camps and things will continue on much like before. SO they'll divorce but the the church will pay child support and everyone will be fine. Who knows? I know I dont and based on your posts here it seems pretty clear that you don't either.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Sure, people will pour in to use the camps. What's more likely is that the church's new programs will rent time at the camps and things will continue on much like before. SO they'll divorce but the the church will pay child support and everyone will be fine. Who knows? I know I dont and based on your posts here it seems pretty clear that you don't either.
            The BSA/Eagle Scout brand is very valuable, and has now regained some luster that it lost. Iconic really. It will be hard to compete with it.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

The BSA/Eagle Scout brand is very valuable, and has now regained some luster that it lost. Iconic really. It will be hard to compete with it.
              This is one of those times when i wonder if you actually read the stuff you post. regardless of how valuable the brand is, the simple fact is that around 40% of its revenue is going to disappear no later than 19 months from now. Now maybe they can increase their membership, but I dont think they can by that much. And the question, originally, was whether this was the church trying to subjugate girls. It isn't. Then it was a question of what would happen to the BSA properties IN UTAH. No one knows, but I bet not many people expect that if they are saved it will be a result of a sudden and currently nonexistent influx of out of state campers. Now you want to talk about competing with the brand? Who are you talking about? Some LDS troops might continue, some LDS people might join non LDS troops, but there is no need for the church to compete with the BSA. So what are you talking about? If you're only remaining point is that the BSA will be fine, all I can say is I have no idea, but hope they work it out.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yeah... no, it won't.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

... how does it look to people like me with only passing interest in the LDS Church?....
                  I know funk tries. but it is throw away lines like this that make SU the GOAT exmo.

Comment

• SU has been somewhat Trumpian in his praise of the Scouts BSA the last couple pages.

Comment

• Boy Scouts reviewing Ban on Gays ...

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 05-10-2018, 04:50 PM.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Man I hope that you are being serious, because this is really weak sauce otherwise.

Comment

This is one of those times when i wonder if you actually read the stuff you post. regardless of how valuable the brand is, the simple fact is that around 40% of its revenue is going to disappear no later than 19 months from now. Now maybe they can increase their membership, but I dont think they can by that much. And the question, originally, was whether this was the church trying to subjugate girls. It isn't. Then it was a question of what would happen to the BSA properties IN UTAH. No one knows, but I bet not many people expect that if they are saved it will be a result of a sudden and currently nonexistent influx of out of state campers. Now you want to talk about competing with the brand? Who are you talking about? Some LDS troops might continue, some LDS people might join non LDS troops, but there is no need for the church to compete with the BSA. So what are you talking about? If you're only remaining point is that the BSA will be fine, all I can say is I have no idea, but hope they work it out.
                          It's likely the church will just buy what properties it can outright. That's what we have here. About eight years ago the church invested in a property that serves as a common girls camp site for six stakes. They also allow Cub and Scout camping, so long as the boys don't infringe on the girls prime summer bookings. Members can also camp there for a nominal fee. It's an amazing investment and great blessing for us.

Comment

• The church owns several camps in Oregon, and they call senior missionaries to be the property managers. Usually Salt of the Earth guys with construction backgrounds love and get the job because they don't have to talk about the church to people, all they have to do is maintain the grounds and make sure everything is ship shape when the girls show up in the summer. Half the time no one is at the camp except for the managers... and in talking to one of them... they love it when it's quiet and they love it when it's noisy.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

:slowclap:
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• SU, did you even read this?

Growing up Mormon, you are constantly surrounded by other Mormons. The church’s attempt to seal the bubble even tighter does not project confidence in the face of cultural change — it is a retreat from reality.
                                Huh?
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X