I'm not a Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Ha, by socially centric I mean that I'm for a good safety net, I just want it paid for from day one and not financed through debt. It also means I'm pro-life, fine with SSM, and couldn't care less if "under God" is in our pledge of allegiance.
    Well, if you are fine with legalized marijuana (i.e. realized that prohibition didn't work for alcohol and it isn't working for maryjane as well) and think the government should just get out of trying to define and regulate everything like marriage then I am guessing you are more Libertarian than you think.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      Did your parents not buy a life insurance policy to cover the costs of estate taxes?
      Note that it was only my father that died. My mother could live to 100 the way she is going. Also, it was capital gains that took a third of the ranch.

My father couldn't afford life insurance with the life long ailment he had. He was living on borrowed time for a while. Also, for some reason, this didn't keep him from being drafted in WW2. Of course, he got drafted toward the end of the war when they were taking everyone pretty much when they turned 18. He got his draft notice as late birthday card from the government while he was still in high school and wasn't even allowed to finish.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        I'm not interested in the pros of a consumption tax, I'm interested in how you make the dramatic transition from one form to another. Somebody is going to have to decide what the consumption tax rate needs to be so that the transition is as revenue-neutral as possible; or at least doesn't decrease revenues.
        Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Yes. In addition I would want the income tax abolished by constitutional ammendment to ensure it wouldn't just come back in 10 years and then we'd be stuck with both.

I would love for a consumption tax to replace the income tax but I just don't see it as possible.
        Yeah, transition is the issue. There are literally trillions locked up in deferred taxes and unwinding all of that in an equitable manner would be cumbersome. One example would be traditional 401k vs. Roth 401k. Under the Roth the taxes were already paid, however under the traditional 401k the taxes are deferred, so barring any adjustments, the people that saved under the traditional 401ks would be better off with the change. The transition issues get much more ugly in corporate tax.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Note that it was only my father that died. My mother could live to 100 the way she is going. Also, it was capital gains that took a third of the ranch.

My father couldn't afford life insurance with the life long ailment he had. He was living on borrowed time for a while. Also, for some reason, this didn't keep him from being drafted in WW2. Of course, he got drafted toward the end of the war when they were taking everyone pretty much when they turned 18. He got his draft notice as late birthday card from the government while he was still in high school and wasn't even allowed to finish.
          I'm not trying to belabor the point, but as an FYI for future reference for your own estate, there is something called survivorship insurance that is used to help manage the costs of estate taxes. Because survivorship insurance covers both spouses, one of the spouses who are in very poor health and might otherwise be uninsurable on their own can get joint coverage with their spouse.

Survivorship insurance is also very inexpensive relative to the amount of insurance because it pays out upon the death of both spouses. There are also riders that can help address costs that occur with the death of the first spouse.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Well, if you are fine with legalized marijuana (i.e. realized that prohibition didn't work for alcohol and it isn't working for maryjane as well) and think the government should just get out of trying to define and regulate everything like marriage then I am guessing you are more Libertarian than you think.
            http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._tracking_poll

On the balance between individual freedom and government power, 66% believe that there is too much government power and too little individual freedom. Just eight percent (8%) believe the opposite to be true.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/02/poll...ic_possession/

A staggering 68 percent of registered Republican voters stated that they believe demonic possession is real. Meanwhile, only 48 percent of self-identified Republicans believe in another equally if not more scary natural phenomenon: climate change.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I miss the days when climate change had a direction and was called global warming, screw Salon.

Comment

this is one of the reasons I have rejected the party of my roots.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    this is one of the reasons I have rejected the party of my roots.
                    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

• Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                      The religious right has actually caused my wife to reconsider her political affiliation.
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• I want to hear the poll results for Independents and Democrats. Does the article list that too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          I want to hear the poll results for Independents and Democrats. Does the article list that too?
                          Since they get such a kick out of these kinds of polls, they should ask what the black registered democrats think of demonic possession. They're as equally religious as the average registered republican.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            Since they get such a kick out of these kinds of polls, they should ask what the black registered democrats think of demonic possession. They're as equally religious as the average registered republican.

All due respect to DU and pellegrino.

Comment

• The GOP is broken. Not only that, but a lot of the base is deluded. I've seen many people deride the choice of Mitt and there is a call for more conservative candidates in the future (remember this happened also after McCain lost). While I think they will pick up votes by doing this as they'll play to the far right more than Mitt, but they'll also lose more independent and swing votes.

In short, it's not that the GOP is not electing the right candidate. It's that there platform is antiquated and in seriously need of reform. Mitt lost because he shunned latinos during the primary. He was also impacted by the crazies in the party that think there are different kinds of rape.

So anyway, here are my solutions to the GOP:

- Immigration reform - Instead of calling for fences and the national guard to protect our borders, call for a temporary worker program that also allows immigrants to qualify for citizenship while working in the US. Make the wait shorter and the requirements less stringent. The GOP doesn't have to make a call for amnesty, but it can find a good middle ground that would win over many latinos

- Marriage - Drop the "traditional marriage" tag and get with the times. Allowing gay marriage is not only the right thing to do, it shows that you respect people's rights. Many young members of the church (as well as young republicans) don't support the church's stance on this and they would rather see the government get out of marriage instead of trying to regulate it.

- Taxes - Enough with the flat tax bullcrap. Most people know a progressive tax is fine. Stop trying to fight small tax increases on the rich. Romney's plan was actually pretty pragmatic in this area but many GOPers didn't understand it as they saw it as a tax cut for the rich. It wasn't. It was a way to broaden the tax base while at the same time keeping the rich paying the same amount. Mitt could have sold this one better by emphasizing that last point, but the GOP would be better to embrace this instead of pushing for real tax cuts on the rich.

Feel free to add your own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                The GOP is broken. Not only that, but a lot of the base is deluded. I've seen many people deride the choice of Mitt and there is a call for more conservative candidates in the future (remember this happened also after McCain lost). While I think they will pick up votes by doing this as they'll play to the far right more than Mitt, but they'll also lose more independent and swing votes.
                                Really? Do you really think there were many passionate conservatives that stayed home this election? I just don't see it. Any passionate conservative voted last night, if not for Mitt Romney, against Barack Obama.

I see no way they pick up more votes going more conservative.

To your other points, I think an easy solution for the party would be Susana Martinez. If she continues to govern well in NM and plays her cards right, she has every shot at making up ground where the GOP needs to. Women and Latinos.

Comment

Working...
                                X