I'm not a Republican

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not a Republican

Not a surprising statement I know, but it's been reinforced quite a bit today.

I'm voting in the Texas GOP primary and as a dutiful citizen of the greatest state in the USA I'm doing some last minute research on the candidates. So far I've noted that to be a Republican I should probably:

- Support the repeal of Obamacare (I'm fine with this one)
    - Be not just pro-life, but really pro-life....like Santorum pro-life (this is typically the first social issue discussed on a candidates profile)
    - Be for a "traditional" marriage amendment to the Constitution
    - Want to dramatically slash discretionary spending (but not Medicare and SS....gotta keep the old person votes!)
    - Not touch military spending or allow it to at least increase
    - Support a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution (I do, but not what most are proposing)
    - Support spending billions of dollars to patrol and enforce the southern border

While I'm not saying these are all bad positions (some are IMO) I'm saying that I only identify with 3 or 4 of them. If it weren't for Mitt, I'd probably be voting in the Democrat primary today.

I've read some articles and blogs that are talking about the future demise of the GOP, and while I think some of those are overstating the situation, it's definitely apparent that the GOP will need to "evolve" a bit both socially and politically to stay vibrant and relevant. I know they'll have to do it to keep me voting for republicans....or else they can just nominate a Mormon every 4 years
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I'm voting in the Texas GOP primary and as a dutiful citizen of the greatest state in the USA I'm doing some last minute research on the candidates. So far I've noted that to be a Republican I should probably:

- Be not just pro-life, but really pro-life....like Santorum pro-life (this is typically the first social issue discussed on a candidates profile)
    - Want to dramatically slash discretionary spending (but not Medicare and SS....gotta keep the old person votes!)
    - Support a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution (I do, but not what most are proposing)
    - Support spending billions of dollars to patrol and enforce the southern border

While I'm not saying these are all bad positions (some are IMO) I'm saying that I only identify with 3 or 4 of them. If it weren't for Mitt, I'd probably be voting in the Democrat primary today.

I've read some articles and blogs that are talking about the future demise of the GOP, and while I think some of those are overstating the situation, it's definitely apparent that the GOP will need to "evolve" a bit both socially and politically to stay vibrant and relevant. I know they'll have to do it to keep me voting for republicans....or else they can just nominate a Mormon every 4 years
    Have you done the same type of listing to see if you are truly a democrat?

Your list doesn't have me solidly in the Republican camp for sure, but I do know I am solidly, unequivacably not in the democrat camp.

Without any alternative, I am left to vote republican.

Comment

Um. You sound like a republican to me.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        Have you done the same type of listing to see if you are truly a democrat?

Your list doesn't have me solidly in the Republican camp for sure, but I do know I am solidly, unequivacably not in the democrat camp.

Without any alternative, I am left to vote republican.
        No I haven't, as I know I'm voting for Mitt. It would probably be a toss up, but the Dems seem to be more rational on social issues and they aren't horrible on economic issues if you don't include Obama's amateur understanding of anything dealing with the economy.

In fact, the mayor of Houston has so far been incredible in her leadership both on social issues and the local economy and she's a Dem. I'd vote for her in a state or national race if I had the chance.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

No I haven't, as I know I'm voting for Mitt. It would probably be a toss up, but the Dems seem to be more rational on social issues and they aren't horrible on economic issues if you don't include Obama's amateur understanding of anything dealing with the economy.

In fact, the mayor of Houston has so far been incredible in her leadership both on social issues and the local economy and she's a Dem. I'd vote for her in a state or national race if I had the chance.
          In my simpleton mind the social issues pale in comparison to the economic issues.

I doubt the republicans will ever get a republican President elected that is as radical as the far right. Therefor we as a nation will never move to the radical far right socially.

Comment

For every Houston, there are five Detroits. But it should come as no surprise that Democrats have to be in the center in order to govern a city of represent a congressional district in a state like Texas or Utah. Utah produces Jim Matheson. California produces Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters. One has a leash, the other two don't.

Obama gave control over the stimulus and Obamacare (Pelosicare doesn't have the same ring to it) over to the Democrats in the House and Senate. Although Obama can't admit this because it would make him look weak, the Democrats in the House and Senate played a much bigger role in the development and passing of those bills. But Obama didn't care about reining them in at all and that says something about his leadership. So, the stimulus bill illustrates the Democrats unleashed and it was a horrendously shitty piece of legislation.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              For every Houston, there are five Detroits.
              No, there is only one Detroit. Heaven help us if there were more than one.

The current financial mess that is Detroit is shocking. Google an article if you are really interested.

To Moliere: you sound like a Republican to me, just not a Sean Hannity Republican.
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post

The current financial mess that is Detroit is shocking. Google an article if you are really interested.

To Moliere: you sound like a Republican to me, just not a Sean Hannity Republican.
                Detroit is the most extreme. But then there's Baltimore, Oakland, Philly, etc.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

40% of Americans identify themselves as "Independents"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/151943/re...ependents.aspx
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    40% of Americans identify themselves as "Independents"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/151943/re...ependents.aspx
                    But how do they vote? What they call themselves is largely irrelevant. Most of those independents "lean" to one party or the other. They might as well be identified with that party.

It looks like the chart shows a significant drop in republican ID. This, I'm guessing, is in part a result of people identifying with the tea-party or similar groups who think the republicans are too liberal or [insert other non-descriptive adjective here]. These folks still vote republican. I'm among them.
                    Last edited by Jacob; 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                      This, I'm guessing, is in part a result of people identifying with the tea-party or similar groups who think the republicans are too liberal or [insert other non-descriptive adjective here]. These folks still vote republican. I'm among them.
                      Maybe this is what you are saying, but my guess is those choosing to self identify has to do with, the religious right, the eagle forum, Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, etc. being classified as the republican party.

The next time I am asked to self identify, it will be as an Independent. However, like you said, I doubt I will ever vote for a democrat in my remaining lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        Maybe this is what you are saying, but my guess is those choosing to self identify has to do with, the religious right, the eagle forum, Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, etc. being classified as the republican party.

The next time I am asked to self identify, it will be as an Independent. However, like you said, I doubt I will ever vote for a democrat in my remaining lifetime.
                        That's part of it. Some self-identify independent because of those types, some do it because of those who are seen as more moderate i.e. the party is seen as too moderate by many. I'd guess that the recent trend away from identifying as republican (if there is such a trend) is due more to those who don't like the republican party's results on the economic issues rather than on the social issues.

As an aside, I've always thought that the social issues are much less important at the national level. Nothing much regarding abortion and marriage happens at the national level. Except for the appointment of judges. So, judges is the #1 social issue. Most of the law regarding social issues occurs at the state or local level.

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post

I've always voted Republican in the presidential elections (except one year where I voted for my dad because I didn't like either candidate) and I doubt that changes soon, but I was just struck by how different my political leanings are when compared to the Republican candidates. I honestly don't want to vote for any of my choices for senator. Dewhurst is the favorite but his list of endorsements is Rick Perry and a long list of special interest groups. Cruz is the next favorite and he's backed by Ron Paul and Sarah Palin and everything dealing iwth the Tea Party.

I'm a fiscal conservative and socially centric. I want a balanced budget, which includes higher taxes on the wealthy and spending cuts not only to discretionary spending but to SS and Medicare. It drives me crazy that we borrow money to pay for social services. It also drives me crazy when the GOP wants a balanced budget, but in the same breath they advocate for keeping the Bush tax cuts (and maybe having more cuts), not touching SS and Medicare, not touching defense spending, spending more money on border enforcement, etc.

Comment

Allow me to offer a solution to your dilemma...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              Allow me to offer a solution to your dilemma...

My dilemma is not Mitt. I'm a Mitt man through and through.

You also have to choose in the same senate race. Any tips there?

Comment

Working...
                              X