Mountain West Salvation Groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Preach. That said, as it is, we ain't getting into a real conference any time soon, so if BYU could somehow find a way to get hoops back in the MWC, I'd be cool with that. Never football again.
    Yeah ... my post was limited to football concerns only. To be honest with you, I could care less what conference the other sports compete in. If we can get back in the MWC for non-football sports while staying independent in football, I would be happy to embrace such an arrangement. Hell ... I would be more than happy to have a football scheduling arrangement with the MWC, as long as we retain control over our TV contract and have the flexibility to schedule whoever we want, whenever we want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      Independence is not going to be the savior of BYU's recruiting.
      That is certainly NOT a fact. Do you think recruiting would be better in the MWC?

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
        Agreed, when compared to other teams in real conferences. But, will independence help recruiting compared to being in the MWC? Will it be about the same as compared to being in the MWC? Will it be worse than compared to being in the MWC?

I would say it will be about the same, MAYBE a tad better. That's it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          Agreed, when compared to other teams in real conferences. But, will independence help recruiting compared to being in the MWC? Will it be about the same as compared to being in the MWC? Will it be worse than compared to being in the MWC?

I would say it will be about the same, MAYBE a tad better. That's it.
          If we can continue to get good TV coverage and schedules like we have this year, I think our recruiting would be better than it would be in the MWC.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
            That is certainly NOT a fact. Do you think recruiting would be better in the MWC?
            I don't know, or care enough, about recruiting perhaps you could post BYU's national recruiting rankings over the last 10 years so we could decide. This was the 3rd class of independence correct?
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

There weren't a lot of facts in that mega post of yours either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

• BYU's recruiting has sucked since they went independent. I don't know if it's significantly worse, but it's certainly no better. Maybe that'll change, but I don't see any evidence so far of independence helping at all.

Comment

• According to Rivals:

2014: Unranked so far (0 of 4 recruits have any stars)
                  2013: #70
                  2012: #61
                  2011: #62
                  2010: #40
                  2009: #50
                  2008: #83
                  2007: #56
                  2006: #67
                  2005: #63
                  2004: #65
                  2003: #108
                  2002: #36

Independence doesn't seem to be helping.

Comment

• Originally posted by woot View Post
                    BYU's recruiting has sucked since they went independent. I don't know if it's significantly worse, but it's certainly no better. Maybe that'll change, but I don't see any evidence so far of independence helping at all.
                    I never claimed it would be better than it has been over the last 30 years (at least not immediately). I claimed that it would be better than it would be if we were stuck in the MWC while Utah went to the Pac 12. Do you disagree that the disparity would have an impact on in state recruiting?

Comment

There weren't a lot of facts in that mega post of yours either.
                      This is true ... but at least there was an argument. That is a heck of a lot more than a baseless opinion. Do you disagree that nationally televised games and playing big opponents in big stadiums has a positive impact on recruiting? I never claimed independence would save BYU recruiting, or that it would ensure the long-term stability of BYU football. I am simply saying that it is better than any other option we currently have.

I guess if you are resigned to the prospect of BYU football falling off the map than we shouldn't care about recruiting anymore. I am not resigned to that prospect. I would rather fight to stay relevant than "give up" and go back to the irrelevance that is the MWC. Are we irrelevant as an independent? That is debatable. But at least we are trying to build something better than what we would have in the MWC.

Comment

• I agree that Utah being in the Pac 12 is bad for BYU recruiting. I have no opinion on whether independence is better for recruiting than the MWC would have been. As a fan I don't prefer it, and I haven't seen any reason to think it is better for recruiting.

Comment

I never claimed it would be better than it has been over the last 30 years (at least not immediately). I claimed that it would be better than it would be if we were stuck in the MWC while Utah went to the Pac 12. Do you disagree that the disparity would have an impact on in state recruiting?
                          Again I care about recruiting for about 2 weeks a year so I don't know. Can you list some head to head recruits that came down to BYU/Utah in the last 6 years? Was BYU dominating these prior to P12 affiliation for Utah? Has Utah gained a large advantage since P12 affiliation?
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            Again I care about recruiting for about 2 weeks a year so I don't know. Can you list some head to head recruits that came down to BYU/Utah in the last 6 years? Was BYU dominating these prior to P12 affiliation for Utah? Has Utah gained a large advantage since P12 affiliation?
                            I, like you, don't follow the ins and outs of recruiting. I just don't care to get worked up about the decision of a 17 or 18 years old. I'm sure I could go back and look at the stats you are referring to, but I just don't care. It isn't the basis of my opinion.

That doesn't mean that I don't understand the importance of recruiting. It is way too early to know the extent of how Utah going to the Pac12 will impact the recruiting disparity between BYU and Utah. The basis for my belief that we will be hurt by Utah being in the Pac12 and BYU being in the MWC is a comparison to other programs in other states (e.g., CSU and CU). I don't think it is too much of an assumption to think that the teams we play, the television coverage we get, and the facilities we are able to build has an impact on recruiting. All those aspects are improved by independence.

Comment

Please. Recruiting is the whole reason we went indy. Just ask UVACoug.
                              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                                Please. Recruiting is the whole reason we went indy. Just ask UVACoug.

I see that this board, like every other board, is full of wise asses that don't contribute much to anything. Do you care to explain where I am wrong? Or is this just a defense mechanism you revert to when you don't have a good rebuttal?

Comment

Working...
                                X