Landscaping.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Siberian/Chinese Elms? I have about a dozen of them in my back yard and they grow like crazy and create a huge mess. They also spread quickly too, like weeds. I have a ton of seedlings that have sprung up. Anyone know how to get rid of them? Can I just cut them all down, or do I need to do something more than that to kill them. Should I just call a tree service? Some of them grew about 10 feet this year and they're blocking the view from my back deck.

Also, any suggestions on replacement trees? Once I clean up the yard, I want to put in a couple nice trees that will grow quickly and provide some shade but that won't create the mess that the Siberian Elms have.
    I finally had some success this year after 5 years of trying. RoundUp is useless with Chinese Elms. For saplings spray the leaves liberally (soak them) with this

Wait a week and spray them again. Wait a couple days and dig them up or cut them off as close to the ground as you can. If you cut them off, spray the stump immediately (don’t wait even 1/2 hr). Watch the ground all around for shoots (even if you think you got all of the roots, you didn’t) and do the same to them. Don’t let them get very big or you’re starting over.

For trees that are already big, cut them as close to the ground as you can, immediately drill some holes in the stump near the outer edge and soak with Crossbow. Watch for the new growth that will inevitably happen, both from the stump and nearby ground and spray/cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
      I finally had some success this year after 5 years of trying. RoundUp is useless with Chinese Elms. For saplings spray the leaves liberally (soak them) with this

Wait a week and spray them again. Wait a couple days and dig them up or cut them off as close to the ground as you can. If you cut them off, spray the stump immediately (don’t wait even 1/2 hr). Watch the ground all around for shoots (even if you think you got all of the roots, you didn’t) and do the same to them. Don’t let them get very big or you’re starting over.

For trees that are already big, cut them as close to the ground as you can, immediately drill some holes in the stump near the outer edge and soak with Crossbow. Watch for the new growth that will inevitably happen, both from the stump and nearby ground and spray/cut it.
      Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Working...
      X