Car diagnostic and repair thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    It's amazing how many problems rolling up your windows fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't hear it at all when I have my headphones in. Do you guys think the headphones could be connected?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I miss Click and Clack

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I miss Click and Clack
        The Tappet brothers?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

CEL light illuminated the other week on my sedan... coincidentally just before the end of the month when registration and emission were due.

Ordered a bluetooth-enabled ODBII scanner for 20 bucks on AMZN and a bought a $5 app called "Torque Pro". The scanner arrived today. Hooked it up to the car and read the code: P0442.

What causes the P0442 code?
          • Faulty or loose fuel cap
          • EVAP system line leak
          • Charcoal canister leak
          • Fuel tank leak
          • Failed vent or purge valve
          Prolly the stupid fuel cap thing. Cleared the code, reset the CEL, and now I'm good to go for emission inspection.

Pretty cool app. In addition to reading/resetting codes, it will show real-time information using this pretty virtual gauges or using a line graph.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            CEL light illuminated the other week on my sedan... coincidentally just before the end of the month when registration and emission were due.

Ordered a bluetooth-enabled ODBII scanner for 20 bucks on AMZN and a bought a $5 app called "Torque Pro". The scanner arrived today. Hooked it up to the car and read the code: P0442.

Prolly the stupid fuel cap thing. Cleared the code, reset the CEL, and now I'm good to go for emission inspection.

Pretty cool app. In addition to reading/resetting codes, it will show real-time information using this pretty virtual gauges or using a line graph.
            I've had a similar code pop up periodically on my car. On the advice of the dealership, I replaced the gas cap, but that didn't help. Then they said new sensors or something in the gas tank would resolve the issue. I had my doubts. And I was unwilling to fork out for the labor just to replace some sensors that wouldn't impact the performance of the vehicle.

Last time emissions testing was due, I reset the check engine light by removing and then replacing the fuse relating to that function. The check engine light went away and I went to get the emissions testing done. Unfortunately, the emissions test failed since I hadn't driven far enough since resetting the system.

So I kept driving it, planning to return the next day to get it tested again. Before I could return to the testing locale, the light came back on. I repeated the fuse removal/replacement process. Took it back in and it passed.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              I've had a similar code pop up periodically on my car. On the advice of the dealership, I replaced the gas cap, but that didn't help. Then they said new sensors or something in the gas tank would resolve the issue. I had my doubts. And I was unwilling to fork out for the labor just to replace some sensors that wouldn't impact the performance of the vehicle.

Last time emissions testing was due, I reset the check engine light by removing and then replacing the fuse relating to that function. The check engine light went away and I went to get the emissions testing done. Unfortunately, the emissions test failed since I hadn't driven far enough since resetting the system.

So I kept driving it, planning to return the next day to get it tested again. Before I could return to the testing locale, the light came back on. I repeated the fuse removal/replacement process. Took it back in and it passed.
              Removing fuses (odometer) or replacing fuses (radio) was also how some missionaries skirted rules as well.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                Removing fuses (odometer) or replacing fuses (radio) was also how some missionaries skirted rules as well.
                Too bad I couldn't try that in the mission. My shoes didn't have any fuses (AFAIK).
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

You guys had the radios disabled in your cars? Weird. We rarely listened to the radio but it wasn't disabled. We'd instead listen to a bunch of tapes. Everything from the Truman G Madsen tapes on JS to EFY greatest hits. I know all the 1997 EFY songs by heart still. We even had a tape of Saturday's Warrior that was labeled "false doctrine set to music"

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

I have this tool and app as well. It's convenient to have it.

Usually when I've had that code show up on any of our cars it was because the gas cap wasn't cranked down like it should be.

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    When deleting codes, if you need to get an emissions test, it's handy to know the driving cycle your car should go through. Usually you can find it through Google. It will say something like drive 50 mph for 45 seconds, slow to 20 mph without hitting the brake, etc. Every car seems to be different. But as you drive with the Torque Pro open, you can see the emissions checks go green as you pass each test successfully in the drive cycle. Then you'll know when you can go in and get tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      When deleting codes, if you need to get an emissions test, it's handy to know the driving cycle your car should go through. Usually you can find it through Google. It will say something like drive 50 mph for 45 seconds, slow to 20 mph without hitting the brake, etc. Every car seems to be different. But as you drive with the Torque Pro open, you can see the emissions checks go green as you pass each test successfully in the drive cycle. Then you'll know when you can go in and get tested.
                      Yeah, it is always good blow out your emissions system before taking it in. Around here there are shops that will offer a "quick tune up" or something like that will do that for you. 85% of the time, it works every time.

You should also make sure your car is warmed up. Drive it for at least 20 minutes. The catalytic converter, etc. are tuned for a "steady state" condition when your engine is warmed to its operating temperature.

If that doesn't work run your car down below a quarter of a tank and put in two or three bottles of ISO-Heat. That stuff is just pure alcohol and burns clean. After your emissions test you should maybe top off the gas. Otherwise your engine may run too hot.

If none of the above works then maybe talk to an engineer that use to work for VW... those guys know know all kinds of tricks for cheating the emissions tests.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I helped my son-in-law replace the alternator in his 2011 Honda Odyssey today. By "helped", I mean that I handed him tools, held the light, and fetched random stuff as needed. All on the north side of my house in temperatures below freezing.

Yesterday we watched a video on how to do it. That guy did the whole job in 20 minutes. This one took three hours. We're not sure why it goes so much slower in real life, minus the time spent finding dropped tools that didn't make it all the way to the ground and a trip to the auto parts store to swap the old alternator for a new one. Clearly that guy had better skills or something.

When my son-in-law had the old alternator tested at the auto parts store, he cheered when he found out that it was bad. The guy there wondered about that, but it meant that we had found the problem. Replacing the battery a few days ago did not solve the problem.

I still remember trying to fix broken cars in 20 degree weather way back when I lived in Salt Lake. I've reached the point where I don't have to do that anymore, but my kids and their spouses are not to that point yet.

Comment

I changed brake pads on Mrs. Diddley's car yesterday. Space heater in the garage made it pleasant and easy.

Comment

I changed brake pads on Mrs. Diddley's car yesterday. Space heater in the garage made it pleasant and easy.
                            Front or back or all?

Those back brakes are a lot harder than the front.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                              Front or back or all?

Those back brakes are a lot harder than the front.
                              Just the front. The rear brakes are also disc brakes, so they're super easy. Nice floor jack, impact wrench to take off lug nuts, it all took about 30 minutes, if that. I'll check the rear brakes again in another 6 months or so.

Comment

Just the front. The rear brakes are also disc brakes, so they're super easy. Nice floor jack, impact wrench to take off lug nuts, it all took about 30 minutes, if that. I'll check the rear brakes again in another 6 months or so.
                                So - you've never taken off back disc brakes before - or you're a super soldier - that can do everything easy.

Bookmark this - we'll talk in 2021 about it.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X