Thread: The official airport thread

Default The official airport thread

This thread is to post your observations, tips, complaints, etc. about various international airports as the CUF membership travels the globe.

ATL (Atlanta, GA for those who don't travel so much as to have airport codes memorized)

1. No free wi-fi. Lame.
    2. The Wi-Fi in the Sky Club sucks.
    3. I'm not hungry but I did notice a Nathan's in Concourse T so that is solid. It seems that airport food in general is on the upswing.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

ATL is huge. Isn't it the busiest in the world?

Although not international, my home airport is OMA. I like that I can show up 45 minutes before departure and not be nervous about checking in or making it through security on time. I also like that I never have to wait for a cab (except last weekend when all the Buffett wannabes were in town).

DEN is exactly the opposite. Security lines are horrendous. Although if you go over the ped bridge between check in and concourse A instead of getting in the stockyard lines on the lower level, it usually goes faster and the lines are considerably shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Although not international, my home airport is OMA. I like that I can show up 45 minutes before departure and not be nervous about checking in or making it through security on time. I also like that I never have to wait for a cab (except last weekend when all the Buffett wannabes were in town).

DEN is exactly the opposite. Security lines are horrendous. Although if you go over the ped bridge between check in and concourse A instead of getting in the stockyard lines on the lower level, it usually goes faster and the lines are considerably shorter.
    Athens, Greece (ATH).

I flew today from Athens to Kavala, Greece. Athens has one of the most convenient airports in Europe. Although the Greeks aren't really known for efficiency, they have the airport down cold. Easy access to public transportation into town, signage in English and Greek, plenty of security lines to keep people moving through quickly. Bravo.

Also, the Olympic Air flight attendants are straight out of the 1950s. Smoking hot women wearing stylish uniforms, complete with shoulder-kerchiefs and rakishly worn hats.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    That's what they say. In fact the in-flight magazine this month has something about it and says Delta hit a milestone where they boarded 2M passengers at ATL in one month.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Tel Aviv. Based on last week's experience, I'd say their security procedures aren't as intense as advertised, unless you're black or Arab-looking. My wife and I sailed through while our swarthier fellow passengers received quite thorough searches of their luggage and persons. The Israelis are untroubled by concerns about racial profiling. Our procedure was not much different than at SFO.

Food selection was spare, and a bit pricey. I paid ten bucks for a fresh OJ and a brownie. Free WiFi, but there was little else to pass the time.

The security procedures at Rome's Fiumicino were very light (almost alarmingly so) and the food selection, while greater than those in Israel, was unimpressive. WiFi must be purchased.

Speaking of food, if you're planning on flying internationally out of ORD's terminal 5, your only option is a kiosk whose bill o' fare is dwarfed by your average high school gym's snack bar. Stock up beforehand, or dine in one of the other terminals where there are some decent restaurants. We were unable to return to the terminal whence we came where there was a Macaroni Grill, which we looked back on as if it were The French Laundry.

Eldorado International Airport-- Bogota, Colombia (BOG)

These guys are hardcore. They demonstrate zero compunction with dumping out the contents of your suitcase and rifling through them by hand. They also have dudes in the middle of the walkways trying to make eye contact with you -- presumably looking for you to tip them off with nonverbal cues if you have drugs in your butthole.

Otherwise, clean and pleasant, as South American airports go.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Buffalo, NY (BUF) was a pleasant enough airport to arrive at. Didn't spend much time there though. One bonus ... the rental cars are in the parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Tel Aviv. Based on last week's experience, I'd say their security procedures aren't as intense as advertised, unless you're black or Arab-looking. My wife and I sailed through while our swarthier fellow passengers received quite thorough searches of their luggage and persons. The Israelis are untroubled by concerns about racial profiling. Our procedure was not much different than at SFO.

Food selection was spare, and a bit pricey. I paid ten bucks for a fresh OJ and a brownie. Free WiFi, but there was little else to pass the time.
    My wife and I were questioned thoroughly at both Tel Aviv and Eilat in Israel. By thoroughly I mean the guy checking our passports asked several quesitons about where we had been and why we were in Israel. I have been told that if you seem to have difficulty answering or your story changes during questioning, you are subject to additional quesitoning by other personnel. They did ask the same quesitons a couple different ways, I am assuming looking for inconsistencies.

Also, they x-ray all luggage and then question you about contents if they see something. My wife had collected sea shells and sand at the Sea of Galilee to make Christmas ornaments for friends and family. She had it stored in several plastic bottles. After our luggage went through the machine, they pulled it aside and pulled us out of line for questioning about the bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Eldorado International Airport-- Bogota, Colombia (BOG)

These guys are hardcore. They demonstrate zero compunction with dumping out the contents of your suitcase and rifling through them by hand. They also have dudes in the middle of the walkways trying to make eye contact with you -- presumably looking for you to tip them off with nonverbal cues if you have drugs in your butthole.

Otherwise, clean and pleasant, as South American airports go.
    Careful. I don't want to see you featured on an episode of Locked Up Abroad next season.

Flew out of the new SGU (St. George) this morning. Nice little airport waaaay outside of town. If UDOT ever finds the money to finish Southern Parkway, I'm sure we'll see development out there.

*humblebrag* I designed several of the bridges on the portion of Southern Parkway that has already been built, so it was nice to finally see them.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

The security procedures at Rome's Fiumicino were very light (almost alarmingly so) and the food selection, while greater than those in Israel, was unimpressive. WiFi must be purchased.

Speaking of food, if you're planning on flying internationally out of ORD's terminal 5, your only option is a kiosk whose bill o' fare is dwarfed by your average high school gym's snack bar. Stock up beforehand, or dine in one of the other terminals where there are some decent restaurants. We were unable to return to the terminal whence we came where there was a Macaroni Grill, which we looked back on as if it were The French Laundry.
    I wish. They confiscated a small bottle of balsamic vinagrette I had forgotten was in my carry-on. You know how much that stuff costs?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I wish. They confiscated a small bottle of balsamic vinagrette I had forgotten was in my carry-on. You know how much that stuff costs?!?
    That reminded me of a time I traveled out of SLC with a guy who is quite the U-Mo. He had a jar of jam with him that his wife had canned at the cannery. It got confiscated and he starts arguing with TSA about how it was from the church cannery, a RS activity where they made it, etc.

Operation Hot Mother Parrot Head's Avatar

Charlotte (CLT) has free Wifi and they have wooden rocking chairs so you can sit down and get comfortable while browsing CUF.
    I have nothing else to say at this time.

If you're ever flying international through Toronto, make sure your layover is at least an hour. You have to pick up your luggage when you land there, and go through inspections again. If you're flying to the states, you also go through customs there. We had a 2 hour layover planned layover, which decreased to 1 hour because of a flight delay. We waited 20 minutes for our bag to show up on the carousel, then waited 30 minutes in the customs line. We just barely made our connecting flight.

I don't know of any other airport that does this.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    That reminded me of a time I traveled out of SLC with a guy who is quite the U-Mo. He had a jar of jam with him that his wife had canned at the cannery. It got confiscated and he starts arguing with TSA about how it was from the church cannery, a RS activity where they made it, etc.
    Yeah, I believe that.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Yeah, I believe that.
    You're welcome not to. But please don't assume I give a shit about what you believe or not.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    You're welcome not to. But please don't assume I give a shit about what you believe or not.
    lol
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Rock Springs, WY. First time on a commercial prop plane. Waiting far too long for my bag when mine is the only plane at the airport and there were about 15 people on board. Livin' the dream.

The Wasatch Front now has 3 airports with commercial air service. Allegiant Air just announced flights from Ogden to Phoenix-Mesa 2x a week on MD80 aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    The Wasatch Front now has 3 airports with commercial air service. Allegiant Air just announced flights from Ogden to Phoenix-Mesa 2x a week on MD80 aircraft.
    Man, why couldn't they fly out of Provo instead? We go to Mesa several times a year.

Midland TX airport has free internet wifi, which is a good thing when your flight has been cancelled and you are praying the last flight of the day to houston does actually take off. Otherwise I might be in for a longer stay in midland than I previously thought.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Midland TX airport has free internet wifi, which is a good thing when your flight has been cancelled and you are praying the last flight of the day to houston does actually take off. Otherwise I might be in for a longer stay in midland than I previously thought.
    Rent a car. Drive to Odessa and search out the worlds largest jack rabbit. You will NOT regret it
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Rent a car. Drive to Odessa and search out the worlds largest jack rabbit. You will NOT regret it
    I just might. There are 6 gates I the airport but the numbering only goes to 6 since there is a 1A and 1B
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Currently stuck in Reno International. The dude on my left is wearing a Nixon watch and a "Nixon watches" shirt and has a dog in a carry on. Don't know why that struck me as funny. The girl on my right is telling someone how she and her fiancé are flying to Thailand next month to meet his family. When they return to LV, they are having a drive thru wedding in the sunroof of a limo while wearing traditional Thai garb. .

Is it normal to deice the entire plane? I've been sitting on the tarmac in Midland for 45 minutes while they spread the deicing stuff on the entire plane.

45 minutes is a long time to deice
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Is it normal to deice the entire plane? I've been sitting on the tarmac in Midland for 45 minutes while they spread the deicing stuff on the entire plane.
    Do they even know how to deice planes in Midland?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Do they even know how to deice planes in Midland?
    Apparently not, or maybe so....I don't know. I'm now safely in Houston so they did something right.

Minneapolis has decent wifi speed but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Provo airport terminal starts construction

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/11...rport-terminal