Running shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to get new shoes.
    I have two pairs of Kinvara 2's and a pair of Minimus 10's that I run in. One of the Kinvara's and the Minimus each have about 600 miles on them. I've loved all 3, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the narrowness of the Kinvara's. The Minimus is narrow but I don't run as long in them. So...I may just get the Kinvara 3, but I'm also a little tempted by the Nike Free 3.0 before they retire it. Or any other suggestions? I like lightweight, I'm fairly neutral, midfoot, etc. But I'm 200 lbs, so I've always wondered if I should increase the cushioning a bit if I up my miles. For you marathoners, do you race in the same shoes you train in?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      Time to get new shoes.
      I have two pairs of Kinvara 2's and a pair of Minimus 10's that I run in. One of the Kinvara's and the Minimus each have about 600 miles on them. I've loved all 3, but I'm starting to get annoyed at the narrowness of the Kinvara's. The Minimus is narrow but I don't run as long in them. So...I may just get the Kinvara 3, but I'm also a little tempted by the Nike Free 3.0 before they retire it. Or any other suggestions? I like lightweight, I'm fairly neutral, midfoot, etc. But I'm 200 lbs, so I've always wondered if I should increase the cushioning a bit if I up my miles. For you marathoners, do you race in the same shoes you train in?
      Hey, I have better info on this than just salt tabs!

I don't race in the same shoes I train in, at least not the same distances. I will race in the Kinvara 3s for a marathon if I'm going for time, but for training I use my mizuno wave riders or something similar. I'll have one long run with the race gear on about a month out but I otherwise try beef up the cushioning. Not sure how I like it yet.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I recently went to a local place to get fitted for new running shoes. I walked out with a couple pair of Mizuno Wave Creation 14s. Love 'em... so much better than what I was using (Nike). Wife was fitted at the same time, she preferred an Asics model (GT-2000?).

Was looking around at the gym the other day and noticed a preponderance of folks wearing Asics, easily more than were wearing Nike. Has Nike fallen out of favor?
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Time to get new shoes.
          There have been times when I've owned more than one pair of running shoes. But the vast majority of the time, I've only got one pair. I use it for everything. 5K to marathon. Usually I'll notice when they start to wear down and it is time for a replacement (sometimes I don't notice as soon as I should have).

When I'm replacing shoes: I get the new pair. Begin by alternating between the new pair and the old. And after a week or two I'll retire the old and just run in the new.

Mind you - I've just been running 3X a week for the past year and a half or so. My intent is to up the number of days I run at some point towards the end of this summer - at which time I'll probably pick up another pair to alternate with.

Comment

What sorts of factors play into when a shoe needs to be replaced?

I think it may be time for new shoes. I've had these Brooks Ghost 4s since summer of last year. I've only logged about 130 miles in them. I was at least obese (BMI >30) the entire time. I'm leaning towards blaming my ITB and knee issues on the shoes. I went to a Good Form running clinic this week and they did a video of my form and it looked good. Sure, I need some tweaks here and there, but I'm not over striding or heel striking excessively.
            Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
            - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
            - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Time to get new shoes.
              The narrowness of the Kinvaras is my (only) gripe, too, but I haven't searched for anything better. I really like everything else about them - weight, drop, etc. - and don't have a lot of time for shoe shopping.

I train and race in the Kinvaras. I keep a couple of pairs going at once and stagger the replacement dates. Ideally, I purchase a new pair a month or so before a race and have a broken-in-but-fairly-new shoe for race day. For me, it hasn't caused any troubles to run all my training miles in them. Everyone's different with that, but do you feel like you need more cushioning? If not, then one option is to just see what happens when you increase your mileage.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                I recently went to a local place to get fitted for new running shoes. I walked out with a couple pair of Mizuno Wave Creation 14s. Love 'em... so much better than what I was using (Nike). Wife was fitted at the same time, she preferred an Asics model (GT-2000?).

Was looking around at the gym the other day and noticed a preponderance of folks wearing Asics, easily more than were wearing Nike. Has Nike fallen out of favor?
                Nike has never been in favor for running.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  Beat me to it. The joke at races is always to look at the shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    Beat me to it. The joke at races is always to look at the shoes.
                    Until you look at Meb.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Until you look at Meb.
                      Doesn't he wear Adidas?

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                        Doesn't he wear Adidas?
                        Even worse - Sketchers.

Comment

Until you look at Meb.
                          Meb wears Skechers.

(Edit: Hack, sorry.)
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                            O, rly?!

Comment

The skechers endorsement has always puzzled me, but I just looked through a few reviews and they're actually pretty good. Check this one out:
                              http://www.runblogger.com/2011/11/if...review-of.html

Wide toe box, lightweight. The first model is dirt cheap and there are some pretty cool colors. For $30, I might just bite:
                              [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A19AVO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=211189&creative=37348 9&creativeASIN=B005A19AVO&link_code=as3&tag=thviof li-20"]Amazon.com: Men's SKECHERS GO Run: Shoes@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kzK96N%2BtL.@@AMEPARAM@@41kzK96N%2BtL[/ame]
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                O, rly?!

With those shoes and that shirt buttoned to the top he's getting ready to go be a cholo in SoCal, not go running.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X