No announcement yet.

The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have zero problem with the prosecutor asking questions. I also think Ford comes off as very credible.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Trump should withdraw the nomination and nominate Mike Lee. Although I've never really liked Lee as a senator, he's the judge the dems deserve at this point.

Comment

• If there is every a movie made of this event, then Brian Huskey needs to play Ford's lawyer.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I have zero problem with the prosecutor asking questions. I also think Ford comes off as very credible.
          I dont have a problem with it. I just think she is doing a bad job. How can we be an hour or so into this and no one has mentioned that not a single person that she identified has corroborated her story?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
            Trump should withdraw the nomination and nominate Mike Lee. Although I've never really liked Lee as a senator, he's the judge the dems deserve at this point.
            Who's the judge the Republicans deserve?
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              I dont have a problem with it. I just think she is doing a bad job. How can we be an hour or so into this and no one has mentioned that not a single person that she identified has corroborated her story?
              Yeah, my opinion is starting to turn. Let's make sure we talk about the hotel room where the polygraph was taken, though.

Perhaps Mitchel is saving the best for last.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                I am guessing that the answer would be that only BK and his friend were in the room so they would likely deny it. The other people at the party were not in the room and were not traumatized so there is no reason for that night to stick in their memories over the years.

I still have problems with faulty memory and allegations coming forth this long after the fact, but she seemed about as credible as she could be. This will be tough to overcome.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I am guessing that the answer would be that only BK and his friend were in the room so they would likely deny it. The other people at the party were not in the room and were not traumatized so there is no reason for that night to stick in their memories over the years.

I still have problems with faulty memory and allegations coming forth this long after the fact, but she seemed about as credible as she could be. This will be tough to overcome.
                  The other people dont even corroborate az party with these persons attending ever took place!

I agree she is credible. I will go so far as to say that she is likely being truthful in her own mind and I think something traumatic happened to her. But that is not enough. It's not just that she doesn't have corroboration, some of the others deny it happened at all. Even so, it will be hard to overcome, especially if someone doesn't ask her better questions.
                  Last edited by creekster; 09-27-2018, 10:26 AM.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I keep hearing how from Democrats how Mark Judge hasn't been subpoenaed to testify. But why hasn't he? Do the democrats not have power to subpoena him?
                    Grassley made it clear, more than once, that Mark Judge submitted a written statement under oath to the committee that he doesn't recall the party or incident that Dr. Ford says that happened... of course, he may have been too drunk to remember anything.

Now I am wondering if I should have taken up drinking... I could have been a federal judge or something instead of just an engineer.

Edit: Here is the letter... you can read it for yourself: https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo...omination).pdf
                    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 09-27-2018, 10:21 AM.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      Supposedly he is an alcoholic that somehow made it through college in flying colors and was appointed a federal judge.
                      This is unfortunately quite common in the judiciary. We had a judge here in Texas recently attempt to bribe an officer not to issue the DUI citation for 3x the legal limit. Dashcam video caught the desperation: "But please?! You don't understand! You're going to ruin my life! You'll ruin my life!"

Law is an industry fueled almost entirely by alcohol, caffeine, and ambition, and one typically rises to the top only after proving himself at hundreds or thousands of open-bar events.
                      The issue rarely comes up at these hearings only because the same phenomenon and prevalence exist among legislators and there's a longstanding gentlemen's agreement that the matter will not be discussed.

(TBC, this was not an issue with any of the judges I have served, AFAIK, and I know nothing about Kavanaugh himself.)

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Yeah, my opinion is starting to turn. Let's make sure we talk about the hotel room where the polygraph was taken, though.

Perhaps Mitchel is saving the best for last.
                        Thats a good example. If you have a chance to walk her through that line of questioning, (was there a camera, whats the room like, how was it set up, but no idea if there was a camera?) yiou can begin to undermine her credibility pretty easily. But she doesn't have the time or the format to do that effectively. It is very frustrating watching this.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Prosecutor asked the question and Ford answered it exactly as I predicted.

Comment

• The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Prosecutor asked the question and Ford answered it exactly as I predicted.
                            She did a Piss poor job of asking. She should have gone through them one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• At a minimum, the vote will be delayed. Ford came across as credible. No way the on-the-fence republican senators not ask for more investigation or to subpoena Kavanaugh's friend. It's likely that at least 1-2 of them are going to vote 'no' anyways, but will ask for more time as an excuse.

Will be interesting to see Kavanaugh's testimony now.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• For those that watched was there any new information shared by Ford or was it just restating her story in a firm, emotive manner? Did she address the denials from everyone else she'd named as being at the party?

Comment

Working...
                                X