The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey guys, good thing we elected Trump. He may take US politics to historical lows, divide the country as never before, drag us into a crippling trade war, and seriously degrade our power and influence internationally, but by golly he will get to make another Supreme Court pick. Nothing is more important than that, right?
    Yes but the gays can marry, women can have abortions, and no one is free to exercise their religious freedom. We must fix all of that or else soon people will be forced to gay marry their dogs, every woman will be forced to have an abortion, and it will be illegal to believe in Christ.

A vote for Trump was a vote for everything good in the world. ALL HAIL TRUMP AND HIS GLORIOUS SUPREME COURT JUSTICES!!!
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Yes but the gays can marry, women can have abortions, and no one is free to exercise their religious freedom. We must fix all of that or else soon people will be forced to gay marry their dogs, every woman will be forced to have an abortion, and it will be illegal to believe in Christ.

A vote for Trump was a vote for everything good in the world. ALL HAIL TRUMP AND HIS GLORIOUS SUPREME COURT JUSTICES!!!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

The Janus decision is a good decision.

The Perez decision is well-reasoned.

I'm not a fan of the Amex decision.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

I am guessing right after the midterms elections are over.
          I think sooner than that. The aim will be to have the new judge confirmed by the time the new session starts.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Hey Harry Reid, payback is a you know what... (The end is the best part.)

Comment

Well, the liberals are taking Justice Kennedy's retirement announcement pretty well.

If they were really upset they would be rioting in the streets and burning things.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So after such principled arguments last time about how you just can't confirm a supreme Court nominee during an election year, I am sure they can wait for the Senate to take it up after the next one, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  So after such principled arguments last time about how you just can't confirm a supreme Court nominee during an election year, I am sure they can wait for the Senate to take it up after the next one, right?
                  Not during a PRESIDENTIAL election year.

Nah, they won't even make that pretense. They shouldn't have made it last time either.

Comment

You do realize this is a different situation, right?

The person making the appointment isn't up for election. So arguing that the appointment shouldn't be made until after the elections are over is silly. Because no matter the outcome of the elections this year, the same person will be making the appointment.

FTR - I also thought that Congress should've given Obama's appointment an up or down vote. I don't think a lame duck President should just stop doing their job.

But this situation is very different than that one. Unless you can tell me how it's the same? But I'm not seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      You do realize this is a different situation, right?

The person making the appointment isn't up for election. So arguing that the appointment shouldn't be made until after the elections are over is silly. Because no matter the outcome of the elections this year, the same person will be making the appointment.

FTR - I also thought that Congress should've given Obama's appointment an up or down vote. I don't think a lame duck President should just stop doing their job.

But this situation is very different than that one. Unless you can tell me how it's the same? But I'm not seeing it.
                      But the people confirming the choice are also as a group possibly going to be quite different after the next election. Both the president and Senate are essential parts of the process. Yes, it was a lame argument last time, as it would be this time. But there is never a shortage of rank hypocrisy in the two major parties

Comment

But the people confirming the choice are also as a group possibly going to be quite different after the next election. Both the president and Senate are essential parts of the process. Yes, it was a lame argument last time, as it would be this time. But there is never a shortage of rank hypocrisy in the two major parties
                        Only one third of senators are up for election, and the reality is that most of them will be reelected. So you are looking at something between one tenth and one fifth of the senate now being different from the senate in January.

Comment

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My brief take. Obama should have been allowed to pick scalias successor, but I'm glad Trump picked him, and will pick Kennedy's. One of the scotus decisions I see coming up will have a big impact on me personally.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                              Only one third of senators are up for election, and the reality is that most of them will be reelected. So you are looking at something between one tenth and one fifth of the senate now being different from the senate in January.
                              You're right. The balance likely won't be that much different. But with the current numbers being so close to 50/50 even a slight change could be the difference in someone being confirmed or not.

The truth is, it was a terrible argument last time with about 8 months to go before the election to try to dig up specious reasoning about how presidents shouldn't be allowed to make appointments at that time. The Constitution doesn't have that restriction, so for me it's a bogus argument. But the Libertarian in me tends to make me be pretty literal in the way I look at the Constitution.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 06-28-2018, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                This is going to be ugly.
                                First item of business for the libs... punch left. lolz.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X