Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
    The rise and the reckoning: Inside Brett Kavanaugh’s circles of influence

What an SOB. He made friends in high school and they remained friends afterward. Judge Brett must go down!

We need some more hearings to fully explore this travesty.
    I truly cannot believe they published that piece. What a ridiculous, overwrought, whiny piece of tripe. That stupid debate joke "humiliated the recipient?" How sad for him. I encourage him to stay home and never interact with people to avoid all possible humiliations.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      I wish Romney had won in 2012.
      BUt he didn't. I am curious if you agree with the WSJ assessment of the viciousness of the democratic attack on Kavanaugh?
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        BUt he didn't. I am curious if you agree with the WSJ assessment of the viciousness of the democratic attack on Kavanaugh?
        Of course Mitt didn't win. The Dems made every effort to destroy his reputation as well, with all those comments about "binders of women." This is what they are.

It's almost justice that they have been so overwrought that when a real scoundrel like Trump comes along, people on the right just don't care, and even push back.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          yes. both sides are vicious right now and it's bad for the country. But arguing which is worse for me is like arguing about whether meth or heroin is worse. I am still a Libertarian at heart for that reason. Both sides are bad, although I feel strongly the president needs to be checked by at least one house of Congress. Other times I would want the Republicans to check the democrat president. I think if Trump has free reign after November we probably have no idea how crazy it's going to get, as he isn't moderating in the least. He just keeps pushing the limits of the craziness.

Everything would be much more civil and better today had Romney won, but unfortunately no one would have realized it.
          Last edited by BlueK; 10-05-2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Of course Mitt didn't win. The Dems made every effort to destroy his reputation as well, with all those comments about "binders of women." This is what they are.

It's almost justice that they have been so overwrought that when a real scoundrel like Trump comes along, people on the right just don't care, and even push back.
            Yes, good for the GOP. Teach those Dems that they can't destroy the mormon member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints dream candidate without consequences. Now, they know if they try that again then you get a crazy person in the white house. Don't try to thwart prophecy again, Dems!

Comment

good points. Romney came closer than most realize. He did make a couple of gaffes that the dems played up at the end, and that was too bad. Some of the GOP deserve blame as well. Too many idiots in the evangelical camp couldn't get past the mormon thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                Yes, good for the GOP. Teach those Dems that they can't destroy the mormon member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints dream candidate without consequences. Now, they know if they try that again then you get a crazy person in the white house. Don't try to thwart prophecy again, Dems!
                That's the ticket! And thank you for not using mormon.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

good points. Romney came closer than most realize. He did make a couple of gaffes that the dems played up at the end, and that was too bad. Some of the GOP deserve blame as well. Too many idiots in the evangelical camp couldn't get past the mormon thing.
                  I blame Huckabee. That asshole is terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    I blame Huckabee. That asshole is terrible.
                    And Newt Gangrene-ich and all the wacko televangelists who the religious right listen to.

Comment

yes. both sides are vicious right now and it's bad for the country. But arguing which is worse for me is like arguing about whether meth or heroin is worse. I am still a Libertarian at heart for that reason. Both sides are bad, although I feel strongly the president needs to be checked by at least one house of Congress. Other times I would want the Republicans to check the democrat president. I think if Trump has free reign after November we probably have no idea how crazy it's going to get, as he isn't moderating in the least. He just keeps pushing the limits of the craziness.

Everything would be much more civil and better today had Romney won, but unfortunately no one would have realized it.
                      I know it's my own biases - but I see it as closer to a comparison of marijuana or alcohol versus heroine in determining which is worse.

That said - both are bad and need to change.

Comment

• If I had to pick one member of Congress I align with the closest it would be Jeff Flake. It has been that way for several years. I like the guy. i think he's sincere and his political beliefs line up with mine pretty closely. there was once a time when he was thought to be one of the most conservative members of the House when he was there, and then the Senate. He has not changed. IMO, the country's political climate has gone straight to hell instead, and it's made him look somehow like he doesn't fit the GOP anymore, which is bizarre.

I would be comfortable in a GOP full of Jeff Flakes and Mitt Romneys, but The Trumpified GOP is not a party I can have anything to do with. The dems are not going to be my home either, but I'd rather they win this time to keep the extreme wacko nutcase president in check until he's gone.

Feel free to throw rocks at me, but that's my honest opinion.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 10-05-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Murkowski voting no, Collins announcing her vote in a couple of hours. Could be a close vote.

Interesting to hear so many democrats changing their arguments from the sexual abuse claims to Kavanaugh's temperament, to improper vetting, etc.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Murkowski voting no, Collins announcing her vote in a couple of hours. Could be a close vote.

Interesting to hear so many democrats changing their arguments from the sexual abuse claims to Kavanaugh's temperament, to improper vetting, etc.
                            If by "interesting" you mean "predictable" then I agree.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• I was kidding about being neutral on the WSJ editorial. It was a veiled reference that I have to be careful not to offend the theocracy where I live.

Alan Dershowitz, a democrat and civil libertarian, was the first to note that Trump’s indecorousness, the crude and confrontational way he says things, is more meaningful to people than Trump’s substantive positions. On some issues, he is in line with traditional democratic positions; for example, on trade. It is unfortunate that he pandered to the worst instincts of his base about immigration and trade. But these are not really Republican positions per se. Indeed, Republicans are pro trade, anti tariffs. I didn’t ever vote for Obama partlybecause of his anti trade rants at the democratic conventions. Bernie Sanders took the same positions as Trump on immigration and trade, just more decorously. And Congress could fix Daca but won’t. On the other hand, it’s refreshing to see him brush aside the Left’s holy dogmas about the environment. There’s a responsible viewpoint out there that is not intrinsically Republican that technology will solve the problems it has created with the environment, just as it has solved all our problems historically (even as it made new ones), and you can’t solve any problems by defying human nature. Anyway, banishment of fossil fuels and enforced sustainability impact the poor most of all, like everything else. The thing that will save us from one another and our liberties and Russia and China is our economic prosperity. Only that. And Trump’s facilitated that. That is what the Left won’t acknowledge, the big elephant in their midst. His brutish words are unfortunate. He showed on election night that when he takes the time to do so and cares to do so he can deliver a good speech. That one was better than any George W. Bush (my least favorite president ever) ever gave. But the WSJ is right. Ultimately the Left has made him an avatar targeted by a larger movement that represents a regime that we should all fear much more than Trump. This is why so many Democrats are themselves feeling outsiders in their party.
                              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                I was kidding about being neutral on the WSJ editorial. It was a veiled reference that I have to be careful not to offend the theocracy where I live.

Alan Dershowitz, a democrat and civil libertarian, was the first to note that Trump’s indecorousness, the crude and confrontational way he says things, is more meaningful to people than Trump’s substantive positions. On some issues, he is in line with traditional democratic positions; for example, on trade. It is unfortunate that he pandered to the worst instincts of his base about immigration and trade. But these are not really Republican positions per se. Indeed, Republicans are pro trade, anti tariffs. I didn’t ever vote for Obama partlybecause of his anti trade rants at the democratic conventions. Bernie Sanders took the same positions as Trump on immigration and trade, just more decorously. And Congress could fix Daca but won’t. On the other hand, it’s refreshing to see him brush aside the Left’s holy dogmas about the environment. There’s a responsible viewpoint out there that is not intrinsically Republican that technology will solve the problems it has created with the environment, just as it has solved all our problems historically (even as it made new ones), and you can’t solve any problems by defying human nature. Anyway, banishment of fossil fuels and enforced sustainability impact the poor most of all, like everything else. The thing that will save us from one another and our liberties and Russia and China is our economic prosperity. Only that. And Trump’s facilitated that. That is what the Left won’t acknowledge, the big elephant in their midst. His brutish words are unfortunate. He showed on election night that when he takes the time to do so and cares to do so he can deliver a good speech. That one was better than any George W. Bush (my least favorite president ever) ever gave. But the WSJ is right. Ultimately the Left has made him an avatar targeted by a larger movement that represents a regime that we should all fear much more than Trump. This is why so many Democrats are themselves feeling outsiders in their party.
                                Oh brother. Not you too? Trump (like all presidents) has little impact on the overall health of the economy. And what areas he does have an impact, he's done a terrible job (tariffs, deficit, etc). The economy is great now, but Trump should get little credit for that (just as Obama should not get much credit for the economy).

But I am interested to see whether this board, consisting almost exclusively of right-leaning mormon men, agrees with your position.

Comment

Working...
                                X