The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I was speaking with my brother, who's a forensic psychiatrist, about this. He told me the repressed memory thing is complete BS. I found this article through Google, but he also mentioned a case where a guy went on the litigation war path against a therapist/counseling service that engaged in this rubbish with his kid.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/dan...l-health-93325
    Don't get me started. I have seen some serious damage done by the repressed memory bs.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Don't get me started. I have seen some serious damage done by the repressed memory bs.
      Reminds me of Hugh Nibley’s daughter.

Comment

Between this and the Gladwell pod. it is scary think that something you believe to be 100% true could be totally false.

Comment

That article I posted says that only 16% of researchers think repressed memory has any basis. On the other hand, a majority of practitioners still think there's something to it -- holy crap. In the individual case they write about in the story, a hearing was conducted to take the father's name off of what appears to be something akin to a sex offender registry in the state of New York and the daughter provided testimony that there were dozens of adults involved with her sexual abuse as a child. The court didn't find her testimony credible, of course. That seems to be a hallmark of this repressed memory bullshit -- it can't simply be a dad, uncle, older cousin, etc. that's the offender, everyone in the community, male and female are serial abusers and sometimes they're even in a satanic cult.

With regard to these repressed memories frequently devolving into allegations re satanic cults, a Venn diagram of Jim Jones' methods and the methods used to produce these repressed memories would be quite ironic.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Same here. On this we agree. I know of two therapists in Utah County that absolutely shouldn't have a license.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Dems one week ago: If Kav is confirmed to the scotus, he’ll take away women’s rights, overturn roe v wade, and the blood of lgbt will run in the streets.

Dems today: Ford has nothing to gain by making a false accusation.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Dems one week ago: If Kav is confirmed to the scotus, he’ll take away women’s rights, overturn roe v wade, and the blood of lgbt will run in the streets.

Dems today: Ford has nothing to gain by making a false accusation.

I'm definitely stealing this.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/s...70400096501761

Scorching.

Count me among those who think the allegations, if true, are disqualifying. There are enough potential justices out there who haven't committed sexual assault. But the way democrats have handled this process is despicable.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Is Mitch McConnell the one guy that Donald Trump actually listens to the most? His discipline about not saying anything stupid, at least so far, wrt the Kavanaugh allegations are remarkably adult, composed and Presidential for him.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• I love how people think a polygraph test, supposedly done in her lawyer's office (who conducted the test? what questions were asked?), has any probative value here. You know who else passed multiple polygraph tests? Roy Moore.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• There was a woman who attended school with Ford who made a Facebook post yesterday (or the day before) talking about how she remembers everyone at school talking about the Kavanaugh incident back when it allegedly occurred. When media started contacting her and asking for specifics she decided to change her story, a excerpt from an NPR story:

A former classmate of Christine Blasey Ford tells NPR that she does not know if an alleged sexual assault by Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh took place as she first suggested on social media.
                        "That it happened or not, I have no idea," Cristina King Miranda told NPR's Nina Totenberg. "I can't say that it did or didn't."

That's different from what Miranda wrote Wednesday in a now-deleted Facebook post that stated definitively, "The incident DID happen, many of us heard about it in school."

This is the letter, posted on Facebook, from a woman who knew Kavanaugh, Judge and Blasey Ford and claims that the attack did happen, that "many of us heard about it in school," and that it was talked about for days afterward.
                        The FBI should interview her and others.

"In my [Facebook] post, I was empowered and I was sure it probably did [happen]," Miranda told NPR. "I had no idea that I would now have to go to the specifics and defend it before 50 cable channels and have my face spread all over MSNBC news and Twitter."

Comment

There was a woman who attended school with Ford who made a Facebook post yesterday (or the day before) talking about how she remembers everyone at school talking about the Kavanaugh incident back when it allegedly occurred. When media started contacting her and asking for specifics she decided to change her story, a excerpt from an NPR story:
                          Another repressed memory. Folks being healed everywhere.

Comment

There was a woman who attended school with Ford who made a Facebook post yesterday (or the day before) talking about how she remembers everyone at school talking about the Kavanaugh incident back when it allegedly occurred. When media started contacting her and asking for specifics she decided to change her story, a excerpt from an NPR story:
                            These people aren’t helping the case against Kav. Ford said she didn’t tell anyone until 2012 so how could it be all around the school and why wouldn’t someone else be able to corroborate the rumor? These friends of Ford are just shootings themselves in the foot.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

I hope someone from my HS is in position where they are vetted, in the future. I would LOVE to share my memories I have 30 years later with press and/or investigators

* Of course i remember Kevin L. Are you referencing the time he ran around the block naked, or the time he came upstairs and threw a (presumably) used condom at Kevin P?

* Andy M was super chill - unless you messed with the equalizer in his Maverick- I vividly recall walking into to his house (I never knocked. Yep, I was that kid) and seeing him smoking a J with his dad

* Ryan E was kind of an a-hole. Though I did think it was funny when he brought some Bartles and James to a party. He revealed after they had been passed around.He had peed in all 4 bottles.

* Steve W was a good friend. I don't know that it would be considered assault in today's society. But it was super annoying when he would lick his hand and put it on your food, so he could eat it .

* Andy B is highly qualified for your position. Yes, it is true he would run down senior hall and let all the guys know when Dottie H was coming wearing her painted on 501s and her tight Slippery When Wet shirt

* Yes I was in the car with Rick M when he hit the fence post. No, I did not lie to his dad the state trooper. Yes, I did tell him that claiming a deer ran in front of us, in the middle of a summer day, was a dumb idea.

* I'm glad to hear you are considering Clayton C for the position. Yes that story is true. He was well known from stealing his sister's flute and turning it into some kind of bong.

* I would rather not say why the basketball team referred to Camie B as "jaws", since it is all second hand information.

* Chris F was one of the nicest guys in our HS. I didn't feel bad at the time, but do now for joining in and drawing a fake mustache on him when he passed out. No I didn't draw the penis on him, that was Steve W.
                              Last edited by Art Vandelay; 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Ha, good stuff Art. You're alright.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X