The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN is interviewing Michael Moore about the sexual assault allegations
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Now Ford, through her lawyers, says she will talk to the committee but not until after the FBI has completed a thorough investigation. Investigate what? in light of the fact that this supposed event happened almost 40 years ago and that the other person supposedly present says he knows nothing and never saw Kavanaugh behave in the manner described, and given that Kavanaugh categorically denies it took place at all, any investigation has to start with this witness. Where else can they go? So why can't she tell her story to the committee now? If it's credible it might support further investigation and perhaps require Kavanaugh to withdraw his nomination. But refusing to speak now leaves little choice but to conclude this is all just grandstanding to delay until after the midterms. And, if it works, it will just further diminish reasonable behavior in congress or in the country.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        CNN is interviewing Michael Moore about the sexual assault allegations
        He looks like he has experience with the issue.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Now Ford, through her lawyers, says she will talk to the committee but not until after the FBI has completed a thorough investigation. Investigate what? in light of the fact that this supposed event happened almost 40 years ago and that the other person supposedly present says he knows nothing and never saw Kavanaugh behave in the manner described, and given that Kavanaugh categorically denies it took place at all, any investigation has to start with this witness. Where else can they go? So why can't she tell her story to the committee now? If it's credible it might support further investigation and perhaps require Kavanaugh to withdraw his nomination. But refusing to speak now leaves little choice but to conclude this is all just grandstanding to delay until after the midterms. And, if it works, it will just further diminish reasonable behavior in congress or in the country.
          Agreed. Nothing but a further delay tactic. If the judiciary committee presses on, the other side will cry that they brushed aside her claims and refused to let them be investigated before rushing the vote through.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He looks like he has experience with the issue.
            First off, Cuomo needs to tell his cameraman to zoom out a bit because Cuomo’s Head is way too big in screen.

Michael Moore just sledged that there could be other victims of Kavanuagh sure, there could be, but apparently none are interested in coming forward
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• It's obvious I have a different concept of what a political activist is than others like AJ and FR. For example, I don't think attending a political demonstration is enough. The people I see as activists are those people who are monotone when it comes to their political views. These are the people who see only evil on the other side of the aisle. I have family on both ends of the spectrum. They're so close minded there's no reasoning with them. More and more, this is politics in America. No wonder Russia has such an easy time sewing discord.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                It's obvious I have a different concept of what a political activist is than others like AJ and FR. For example, I don't think attending a political demonstration is enough. The people I see as activists are those people who are monotone when it comes to their political views. These are the people who see only evil on the other side of the aisle. I have family on both ends of the spectrum. They're so close minded there's no reasoning with them. More and more, this is politics in America. No wonder Russia has such an easy time sewing discord.
                What qualifies are a political activist for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Agreed. Nothing but a further delay tactic. If the judiciary committee presses on, the other side will cry that they brushed aside her claims and refused to let them be investigated before rushing the vote through.
                  Yeah, the FBI isn't going to investigate. She has an opportunity to testify, it's up to her to take or reject, not set up a potential last minute obstacle to it.

Comment

Now Ford, through her lawyers, says she will talk to the committee but not until after the FBI has completed a thorough investigation. Investigate what? in light of the fact that this supposed event happened almost 40 years ago and that the other person supposedly present says he knows nothing and never saw Kavanaugh behave in the manner described, and given that Kavanaugh categorically denies it took place at all, any investigation has to start with this witness. Where else can they go? So why can't she tell her story to the committee now? If it's credible it might support further investigation and perhaps require Kavanaugh to withdraw his nomination. But refusing to speak now leaves little choice but to conclude this is all just grandstanding to delay until after the midterms. And, if it works, it will just further diminish reasonable behavior in congress or in the country.
                    Maybe she held onto the dress she was wearing that night.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Agree. On the face of it, I tend to believe her story, and I can give some benefit of doubt to Kavanaugh if he was plastered and honestly can’t remember it (that doesn’t excuse the behavior at all, but if that’s the case, his testimony is truthful). But this smells of political opportunism on her part. She should testify.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Agree. On the face of it, I tend to believe her story, and I can give some benefit of doubt to Kavanaugh if he was plastered and honestly can’t remember it (that doesn’t excuse the behavior at all, but if that’s the case, his testimony is truthful). But this smells of political opportunism on her part. She should testify.
                        I think she should testify because she sought this opportunity and moment. I don't think changing her mind about wanting go in front of Senators and answers questions for the world to see means she's a liar, but don't bring up the FBI investigation as the reason. That sounds like a copout.

Comment

• I’ll say it. Who gives a rat’s ass if everything she says about Kavanaugh actually happened?

Good hell a teenage boy getting super drunk and going after a girl is forgivable if he has never done any rapey stuff since then and has subsequently lived an exemplary, honorable life.

I cannot believe anybody is taking this allegation seriously. It is beyond ridiculous and totally outrageous. The Repubs should go ahead and vote him on ASAP. I would say the same thing if this was an Obama SC nominee.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                            I’ll say it. Who gives a rat’s ass if everything she says about Kavanaugh actually happened?

Good hell a teenage boy getting super drunk and going after a girl is forgivable if he has never done any rapey stuff since then and has subsequently lived an exemplary, honorable life.

I cannot believe anybody is taking this allegation seriously. It is beyond ridiculous and totally outrageous. The Repubs should go ahead and vote him on ASAP. I would say the same thing if this was an Obama SC nominee.
                            Free rape attempts, as long you're under 18!

Comment

• I really don’t want to vote for Ted Cruz. I already voted against him twice. I’m afraid to look up what Beto is saying about this for fear I won’t want to vote for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Free rape attempts, as long you're under 18!
                                Of course not, but a single (and so far as we know, it was at most only one) mauling by a teenager should be forgiven if his record is unblemished for the following 36 years. It's been a long time since my high school years, but I attended several drunken parties in high school and any dude who drunkenly pawed the women became a laughingstock and a pariah; too bad similar social stigmas didn't attach in this case, apparently.

While I believe she is being honest in expressing her recollection, I'd like to hear her responses to a few questions of my own, including whether she was acquainted with Cavanaugh prior to that night and what their relationship (if any) was; had she imbibed any alcohol at the party; were her clothes torn or damaged; who else was at the party; prior to her therapy session in 2012, had she told anyone else about this experience; etc. ?

And this is no doubt further evidence of my ignorance and insensitivity to the trauma women genuinely suffer at the hands of aggressive males, but I don't understand why a woman, with a doctorate in psychology whose dissertation centered on how children cope, would have harbored these pent-up anxieties for 30 years before mentioning them to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X