No announcement yet.

The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So has Sleepy Joe published a list of his potential supreme court picks like Drumpf has? In fact, Drumpf recently updated his. Who's on Joe's list?

Apparently it is a list of African American women. So like...

Maxine Waters:

Ilhan Omar:

Kamala Harris:

Kamala would be interesting seeing her get grilled like she did with Kavanaugh.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• this is going to be an absolute goddamn clusterfuck. should have just given merrick garland a hearing.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
        So which is it?

The thought of Dems packing the court genuinely fills me with dread. If that happens, just break this stupid country up. I really wish we could just agree to a more federalist system. Let counties and states have more power than the feds. It is the only way to save this country.
        Lol, knock it off. Start paying attention to Trump and Barr with respect to civil liberties and respecting states' rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Lol, knock it off. Start paying attention to Trump and Barr with respect to civil liberties and respecting states' rights.
          Hey, I'm not a Trump fan. I think he is toxic. But "hey look at the other side" is just as faulty a justification as it has been for Trump and the GOP.

Comment

• Trump will absolutely install a mediocre and, likely sketchy, justice who has been vetted for loyalty and who will all but be guaranteed to support him if the election is determined by the supreme court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
              Problem is, the Republicans don’t pick up any new votes on that issue. The Trumpster base isn’t going to expand and they’re already highly motivated to vote so nothing changes. But it will indeed catalyze the hard left that was unenthusiastic about Biden, and some independents that are wary of the balance of SCOTUS tipping too far right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That worked so well last time. Many political analysts think one of the major reasons Trump won in 2016 is because there was an open Supreme Court seat. Conservatives held their nose and voted for him because of the open Scalia seat.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                Hey, I'm not a Trump fan. I think he is toxic. But "hey look at the other side" is just as faulty a justification as it has been for Trump and the GOP.
                One side is doing the most damage to our institutions, and it's not close, and it's the one with the most power. "The two sides are both bad" statement doesn't have the same punch it used. As a Libertarian, I'd hope you'd find Trump more than just toxic. He's not fit to be POTUS.

Comment

• So here is a question for the democratic learning folks here. In your world view, what is more damaging to the country. A conservative Supreme Court or 4 more years of Trump?
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• I could see Trump nominating Amy Comey Barrett, a circuit court judge, married with children and thought by many on the right to be a potential decisive vote on Roe v. Wade, in the hope of getting some of the suburban women voters he's lost over the past three years. I don't think McConnell will be able to ram the nomination through before the election, but Trump will insist (without result) that Biden name his potential nominee, making the election between two Supreme Court nominees.

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    So here is a question for the democratic learning folks here. In your world view, what is more damaging to the country. A conservative Supreme Court or 4 more years of Trump?
                    Not even close for me, I'd prefer any kind of court to four more years of Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      So here is a question for the democratic learning folks here. In your world view, what is more damaging to the country. A conservative Supreme Court or 4 more years of Trump?
                      Trump (he's a genuine threat to our national security) but not all conservative courts are equal. Roberts is a fantastic Justice.

Comment

Trump has done a good job with Supreme Court picks.

I think if Trump loses and could get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed as a lame duck that would be just fine.

Both sides should relax about the abortion issue. Roe v Wade isn’t getting overturned no matter what.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I could see Trump nominating Amy Comey Barrett, a circuit court judge, married with children and thought by many on the right to be a potential decisive vote on Roe v. Wade, in the hope of getting some of the suburban women voters he's lost over the past three years. I don't think McConnell will be able to ram the nomination through before the election, but Trump will insist (without result) that Biden name his potential nominee, making the election between two Supreme Court nominees.

Not even close for me, I'd prefer any kind of court to four more years of Trump.
                          Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          Trump (he's a genuine threat to our national security) but not all conservative courts are equal. Roberts is a fantastic Justice.
                          Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Trump has done a good job with Supreme Court picks.

I think if Trump loses and could get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed as a lame duck that would be just fine.

Both sides should relax about the abortion issue. Roe v Wade isn’t getting overturned no matter what.
                          Agree across the board. The make up of the Supreme Court just doesn't move the needle for me. I would like to see a return to the usual rancor in DC over the shit show of the last 4 years
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Agree across the board. The make up of the Supreme Court just doesn't move the needle for me. I would like to see a return to the usual rancor in DC over the shit show of the last 4 years
                            We never knew how good we had it!

Comment

Definitely 4 more years of Trump. What's the worst a conservative Supreme Court is going to do? Overturn Roe v. Wade? It would be a shame, but big whoop. Trump is moving our country towards fascism, and if he's re-elected there is a significant portion of the country that won't accept it and will stand up against it. Portland would be a love tap compared to what might be coming.
                              Last edited by Non Sequitur; 09-18-2020, 09:43 PM.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Much like Democratic Presidents moving to the center when governing (I believe it was SU that claims that), conservative justices often move towards the center as well.

So I would much rather have an SC appointee than 4 more years of Trump.

Comment

Working...
                                X