Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 930 of 1082

Thread: The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

  1. #901
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Outside the Matrix
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I remember when the NYT and Washington Post could claim with a straight face that they had no political bias. Those days are over. They are doing all they can to completely destroy Kavanaugh, professionally and personallhy. They are throwing everything available at him, front pages, the editorial pages, everywhere. He is being ridiculed for getting choked up talking about the tradition he shares with his father of keeping a calendar, he has been accused of being a closet alcoholic, in addition to a purjerier, sexually asaaulting a fifteen year old, and abatting gang rape. According to the NYT, his rage is not about defending himself against a terrible accusation, but all about white male rage at loss of privilege. The NYT, which I mainly read, makes the Wall Street Journal appear perfectly objective, whcih has caused me to pay more attention to the Journal than I have. I have for a couple of years been questioning whether the NYT lacks the temperament to be our nation’s leading newspaper. I think that the way Trump has overall impoverished our national discourse may be the biggest damage he’s done. We’re all in the gutter with him.

    But of course the Left actually does see this nomination as an existentional struggle, so they are trying to succeed by any available means.
    Agreed.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  2. #902
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I remember when the NYT and Washington Post could claim with a straight face that they had no political bias. Those days are over. They are doing all they can to completely destroy Kavanaugh, professionally and personallhy. They are throwing everything available at him, front pages, the editorial pages, everywhere. He is being ridiculed for getting choked up talking about the tradition he shares with his father of keeping a calendar, he has been accused of being a closet alcoholic, in addition to a purjerier, sexually asaaulting a fifteen year old, and abatting gang rape. According to the NYT, his rage is not about defending himself against a terrible accusation, but all about white male rage at loss of privilege. The NYT, which I mainly read, makes the Wall Street Journal appear perfectly objective, whcih has caused me to pay more attention to the Journal than I have. I have for a couple of years been questioning whether the NYT lacks the temperament to be our nation’s leading newspaper. I think that the way Trump has overall impoverished our national discourse may be the biggest damage he’s done. We’re all in the gutter with him.

    But of course the Left actually does see this nomination as an existentional struggle, so they are trying to succeed by any available means.
    The ACLU as well. Trump is not the cause, he is sure as hell speeding it on its merry way but Donald Trump is a symptom of our deeper problem. This is what we really want. SNL and late night comedy talk shows have been giving us what we want. Sure we recoil when a dirtbag like President Donald Trump makes fun of Dr Ford- but really President Trump is giving us what we want as does Kathy Griffin.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  3. #903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I wonder what kind of work arounds the left would try. Right now the right holds the majority and executive. Once it goes to the left, what will happen? The courts not limited to 9, right? Maybe they just add a couple more liberal judges.

    Edit: Is it a simple majority to pass the change of the number of justices?
    As I understand, the make up of the judiciary other than the fact that the Supreme Court shall exist is up to Congress, so basic bill process as outlined by Schoolhouse Rock.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

  4. #904
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Good lord, reread my post. If the notes are relevant than yes, release that info. I said I don’t blame her just giving complete access to her psychological notes. How we see Kavanaugh’s medical records and any history of substance abuse treatment?
    Wouldn’t Kavs medical records already be part of the background check that was performed?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  5. #905
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I wonder what kind of work arounds the left would try. Right now the right holds the majority and executive. Once it goes to the left, what will happen? The courts not limited to 9, right? Maybe they just add a couple more liberal judges.

    Edit: Is it a simple majority to pass the change of the number of justices?
    At one point in his presidency, FDR grew impatient with the SCOTUS so he launched an effort to change from 9 judges to 15 judges, thus allowing him to stack the court exactly as he pleased. Congress lost its mind, including members of his own party. If FDR failed, there is no way Trump could pull it off.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  6. #906
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Wouldn’t Kavs medical records already be part of the background check that was performed?
    He's only been background checked 6 times now in his career. They could have missed it.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #907
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Wouldn’t Kavs medical records already be part of the background check that was performed?
    If the FBI missed a substance abuse treatment in Kavanaugh's past then they really aren't very good at this whole investigation/vetting thing.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  8. #908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    At one point in his presidency, FDR grew impatient with the SCOTUS so he launched an effort to change from 9 judges to 15 judges, thus allowing him to stack the court exactly as he pleased. Congress lost its mind, including members of his own party. If FDR failed, there is no way Trump could pull it off.
    I remember reading that a while back. I'm suggesting that once the left holds the majority they'll try it.

  9. #909
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    At one point in his presidency, FDR grew impatient with the SCOTUS so he launched an effort to change from 9 judges to 15 judges, thus allowing him to stack the court exactly as he pleased. Congress lost its mind, including members of his own party. If FDR failed, there is no way Trump could pull it off.
    I think the comment was in reference to when the Democrats control both Congress and the WH. I have read at least one article a while back recommending to Democrats to take this approach when they get the chance.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  10. #910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Kind of like how I said Ford didn't need to be interviewed by the FBI. What is there are other relevant bits of info in the records? You normally don't trust people with skin in the game to tell you what's in the documents.
    I don’t think wondering the FBI as part of this intense hurried investigation wouldn’t have more questions and being puzzled that that Ford doesn’t voluntarily disclose all her therapy notes are the same at all.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  11. #911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    He's only been background checked 6 times now in his career. They could have missed it.
    We know what’s on it?
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  12. #912
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I think the comment was in reference to when the Democrats control both Congress and the WH. I have read at least one article a while back recommending to Democrats to take this approach when they get the chance.
    Democrats controlled everything when FDR attempted it. And he was arguably one of the most popular presidents in history. Yet he still failed miserably.

    This is crazy talk. They won't attempt that.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  13. #913
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I don’t think wondering the FBI as part of this intense hurried investigation wouldn’t have more questions and being puzzled that that Ford doesn’t voluntarily disclose all her therapy notes are the same at all.
    Of course you don't.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  14. #914
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    At one point in his presidency, FDR grew impatient with the SCOTUS so he launched an effort to change from 9 judges to 15 judges, thus allowing him to stack the court exactly as he pleased. Congress lost its mind, including members of his own party. If FDR failed, there is no way Trump could pull it off.
    I think he was asking what would the next democratic president do if presented with a conservative majority that might endure for 20 years or so. As noted by someone else, the number of justices is a matter of congressional statute, not the constitution. And as you note, FDR did try to pack the court in order to make the court amenable to his expansion of federal powers in implementing the New Deal. FDR eventually got his way anyway due to attrition on the court and the dire needs of the country in the depression.

    I doubt that anyone today would try to do that. Trump certainly could not pull it off, as you note, and I doubt any other president could in the foreseeable future. If we ever get to the point where packing the court does not generate overwhelming pushback, then the court's composition probably won't matter that much anyway. That said, the absolute fealty that so many people now feel towards the result rather than the process makes me think this day is much closer than I ever thought it would be during my life.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  15. #915
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I don’t think wondering the FBI as part of this intense hurried investigation wouldn’t have more questions and being puzzled that that Ford doesn’t voluntarily disclose all her therapy notes are the same at all.
    How long should it take when there is such limited credibility to support any allegation? Frank, look around, other than intense Democrat partisans such as yourself the majority of people see this situation for what it is. A case of "she said-he said" with no support for any of the specific allegations. You folks can spin off into Brett Kavanaugh's drinking habits but there is no support, as in as none as there is to support the sexual assault allegations, that it was ever a problem. Retreat with honor bro, this thread alone indicates your side is losing people that are very favorably disposed. Seattle is giving your side a chance to admit you thought it was armmegeddon and that is why you went crazy..so jangle your jewels while your shakin' yours and tryin' to get it boys outa your heads!...or something like that as it has been a few years.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  16. #916
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Democrats controlled everything when FDR attempted it. And he was arguably one of the most popular presidents in history. Yet he still failed miserably.

    This is crazy talk. They won't attempt that.
    Things are a bit more partisan now. I hope you are right but folks are quite a bit more partisan/tribal now, I think.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  17. #917
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I think he was asking what would the next democratic president do if presented with a conservative majority that might endure for 20 years or so. As noted by someone else, the number of justices is a matter of congressional statute, not the constitution. And as you note, FDR did try to pack the court in order to make the court amenable to his expansion of federal powers in implementing the New Deal. FDR eventually got his way anyway due to attrition on the court and the dire needs of the country in the depression.

    I doubt that anyone today would try to do that. Trump certainly could not pull it off, as you note, and I doubt any other president could in the foreseeable future. If we ever get to the point where packing the court does not generate overwhelming pushback, then the court's composition probably won't matter that much anyway. That said, the absolute fealty that so many people now feel towards the result rather than the process makes me think this day is much closer than I ever thought it would be during my life.
    I can't think of anything the would mobilize a political base more effectively or completely than a SCOTUS overhaul like that. Can you imagine? Yeesh.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    As you know, I rarely agree with you, but I agree with this completely. I think the coarsening of public discourse began before Trump. I think it started a more rapid decline with Watergate and the release of the Nixon tapes with their many "expletive deleted" parentheticals and it took another leap downward when we rolled in the mud with Clinton as he argued about what "is" is and what, exactly, he did with the cigar in the oval office. Trump then takes us to almost unimaginably low levels but now the descent is hurried, rather than balanced, by the media's obviously biased obsessions and desperate grab for revenues.
    Was listening to a podcast where an explanation for Trump was raised that finally made sense to me. Trump is simply an avatar and agent for chaos. In a time of increasing political strife, where civil discourse is decaying at an accelerated pace, what exactly should be expected? That an individual that thrives in chaos would emerge. Such an individual is neither Republican or Democrat (parties that in the past have generally believed in civility and order). He could have risen in either party. Perhaps the Republicans were more desperate at the time, so the path to ascension was simpler. To understand his irrational behavior, when seen through the lens of sowing more chaos, Trump's actions are logical. Chaos is his realm, perpetuating it is in his best interest.

  19. #919
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I can't think of anything the would mobilize a political base more effectively or completely than a SCOTUS overhaul like that. Can you imagine? Yeesh.
    The wild back and forths would create insane instability, but that is where we are headed, I think.

    I remember as a kid in HS/JH when I first got interested in the world wondering how country's in the developing world could be so screwed up. Tribalism is a huge problem.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  20. #920
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Was listening to a podcast where an explanation for Trump was raised that finally made sense to me. Trump is simply an avatar and agent for chaos. In a time of increasing political strife, where civil discourse is decaying at an accelerated pace, what exactly should be expected? That an individual that thrives in chaos would emerge. Such an individual is neither Republican or Democrat (parties that in the past have generally believed in civility and order). He could have risen in either party. Perhaps the Republicans were more desperate at the time, so the path to ascension was simpler. To understand his irrational behavior, when seen through the lens of sowing more chaos, Trump's actions are logical. Chaos is his realm, perpetuating it is in his best interest.
    That is a little bit cynical, in my view, but it makes some sense. I think that Trump's personality (and my distaste for it) goes beyond chaos, however. He's just an awful person.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  21. #921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    That is a little bit cynical, in my view, but it makes some sense. I think that Trump's personality (and my distaste for it) goes beyond chaos, however. He's just an awful person.
    I don't mean as a conscious agent, just that his temperament is naturally chaotic. He thrives when things don't make sense.

  22. #922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    If the FBI missed a substance abuse treatment in Kavanaugh's past then they really aren't very good at this whole investigation/vetting thing.
    Were all the documents the dems were complaining about not being able to examine eventually released?

  23. #923
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    I don't mean as a conscious agent, just that his temperament is naturally chaotic. He thrives when things don't make sense.
    I understand. In some ways I am glad Trump is like he is, as he is so unlikeable by almost everyone that the chaos he sows is suspect across the board. Not all persons who thrive in chaos appear to be chaotic or crazy.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  24. #924
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    8,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Democrats controlled everything when FDR attempted it. And he was arguably one of the most popular presidents in history. Yet he still failed miserably.

    This is crazy talk. They won't attempt that.
    Congress will never use reconciliation to bypass the filibuster to major legislation.

    They certainly wont bypass the filibuster for judicial nominees.

    Well they wont do it for supreme court justices. That is too important.

    No one would withhold serious allegations until the last minute and destroy a man's distinguished career without any corroborating evidence just because of that man's judicial philosophy.

    Trump will never survive the nomination process. He is too vile.

    Trump won the nomination in a contentious primary of a broken party but he will never be president. Access Hollywood tapes, 5th Avenue gunshot, etc.

    All that is crazy talk. Coming soon: Trump will never be reelected and Democrats will never try to pack the supreme court again.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  25. #925
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Were all the documents the dems were complaining about not being able to examine eventually released?
    No. None of them have to do with treatment for substance abuse, teen age drinking, gang rape parties or sexual assaults, either. You notice how that has all faded into the background? The democrats shifting focus is all the proof you need that this is not about a fair minded evaluation.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  26. #926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Chaos is his realm, perpetuating it is in his best interest.
    As it is in Putin's best interest for it to exist in America.

  27. #927
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    That is a little bit cynical, in my view, but it makes some sense. I think that Trump's personality (and my distaste for it) goes beyond chaos, however. He's just an awful person.
    His election highlights his core. One who exploits opportunities for his own personal vanity and venal interests. I didn't like President Obama but I believe he at least had core beliefs and goals as to what a better society ought to be. Donald Trump has none other his own personal goals which are often only known by him.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  28. #928
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    We know what’s on it?
    The people that need the information do. You don’t get to vote for or against Kav so why does it need to be made public? I think the Ford investigation should have been private, just like the system is set up to do, but Feinstein decided to make it public.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  29. #929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Of course you don't.
    What’s with the condescension?
    Last edited by frank ryan; 10-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  30. #930
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    The people that need the information do. You don’t get to vote for or against Kav so why does it need to be made public? I think the Ford investigation should have been private, just like the system is set up to do, but Feinstein decided to make it public.
    Yeah, if there was any dirt on it then the Dems would have leaked it by now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •