The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    I don't have an opinion if Kavanaugh should be confirmed or rejected, because I haven't reviewed his judicial opinions or history, merely some synopses.

The process, since the Borking of Bork on July 1, 1987, has rendered the Senatorial duty of advise and confirm into a circus.

If you review the appointments since Bork, it has usually been the Democrats who've made into a circus, starting with Justice Thomas, but also with Gorsuch.

The GOP played nice with the Clinton nominees and with Obama's nominees, but the Dems challenged to varying degrees different nominees.

Review the history of nominees here, for an interesting look at those nominations that lapsed, were rejected or withdrawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

It hasn't always been smooth sailing and the history of Supreme Court battles is far from tranquil.
    They didn't even give Merrick Garland a hearing.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      Well, the chances are pretty high that Garland sexual molested a couple people in high school and college.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Merrick Garland's name, unlike Brett Kavanaugh, will also never be a byword for sexual misconduct.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• ABA calls for a halt on the vote until FBI can investigate allegations further. Will this be the cover for on the fence senators to demand a delay?
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

In retrospect, that treatment seems quite humane.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              ABA calls for a halt on the vote until FBI can investigate allegations further. Will this be the cover for on the fence senators to demand a delay?
              That's actually very surprising to me. They should know how the process works.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Well, the chances are pretty high that Garland sexual molested a couple people in high school and college.
                That's pretty funny.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  Yes, this is 100% politics. Democrats want to stall until after the mid-terms and the polls will determine the outcome. But Republican complaints about that ring hollow, after they held Scalia’s seat open for what, 10 months.

I’m disgusted with everybody.
                  One begins to worry about the viability of the institutions.

Comment

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                    One begins to worry about the viability of the institutions.
                    I am definitely worried long term. What the Republicans did with Garland was ridiculous. What the Democrats are doing now is disgusting. I don't see a good outcome. If BK is confirmed the rancor will increase and the left will never accept him as legitimate. If he is not confirmed it is now open season on any judicial nominee. Dont think the far right won't mimic these tactics. The new norm will be each side trying to absolutely destroy any nominee in order to prevent their appointment.

Which one of those scenarios is worse? No idea.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Part of the answer: limited terms for the SC judges. Each president gets to pick a judge each 4 year term.

Can’t remember where I saw that idea; maybe here. But that would take a lot of the current shitshow out of the nominations.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        Part of the answer: limited terms for the SC judges. Each president gets to pick a judge each 4 year term.

Can’t remember where I saw that idea; maybe here. But that would take a lot of the current shitshow out of the nominations.
                        Well go ahead and continue to not remember where you heard that, because that idea is ridiculously stupid.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I believe that Ford truly believes she was sexually assaulted. I also believe that Kav truly believes he did not sexually assault her. I also believe neither of them are lying
                          This is a very possible if not likely explanation—there was an encounter of some kind, and it meant vastly different things to each of them. Isn’t this a metaphor for so much that occurs between the genders? The way she describes what occurred it may not have lasted a minute. Judge dove on them and they all wound up on the floor. In his drunken 17 year old mind, Kavanaugh may have regarded this as harmless horseplay. And he doens’t remember it because it didn’t mean that much to him.

Also, the cynic in my says that whatever it meant to her has been leavened by #MeToo, Trump loathing, politics, demonization of Kavanaugh, end justifies the means desperation among people of her politics, personal ambition, her beach friends goading her, and/or something I haven’t considered. This spectacle fits perfectly with the times.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Well go ahead and continue to not remember where you heard that, because that idea is ridiculously stupid.
                            That gave me a legit 10 second chuckle.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              This is a very possible if not likely explanation—there was an encounter of some kind, and it meant vastly different things to each of them. Isn’t this a metaphor for so much that occurs between the genders? The way she describes what occurred it may not have lasted a minute. Judge dove on them and they all wound up on the floor. In his drunken 17 year old mind, Kavanaugh may have regarded this as harmless horseplay. And he doens’t remember it because it didn’t mean that much to him.

Also, the cynic in my says that whatever it meant to her has been leavened by #MeToo, Trump loathing, politics, demonization of Kavanaugh, end justifies the means desperation among people of her politics, personal ambition, her beach friends goading her, and/or something I haven’t considered. This spectacle fits perfectly with the times.
                              Given the holes in her memory, any multitude of things could have occurred. The perp could also have been a friend of BK whom she saw at a party. It seems so ridiculously convenient that she remembers the exact number of beers she had at the party. Rather than sound honest, that sounds like a rehearsal she had for her parents if she were caught when she came home, "but Mom, I only had a sip of one beer."
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I think he may have been better off acknowledging that there may have been some kind of encounter, and if so, apologizing for any misunderstanding while denying the stuff about the grinding and trying to undress. This could have integrated the drinking culture not necessarily to his detriment. Then he could have gone after everyone over politics but been a lot more chill. Categorically denying he was even there and flashing his churchgoing credentials is a bridge too far.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X