The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Oh, I am positive he was not referencing that. I wasn’t making a point so much as a snide, unhelpful comment that doesn’t really move the conversation but might be good for a cheap laugh.
    FTR, I laughed.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Oh, I am positive he was not referencing that. I wasn’t making a point so much as a snide, unhelpful comment that doesn’t really move the conversation but might be good for a cheap laugh.
      Snide, I can live with.
      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

AA is a treasure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• An editorial in Newsweek comes with both barrels:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...?ocid=msedgntp
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
            An editorial in Newsweek comes with both barrels:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...?ocid=msedgntp
            Thanks. That was good.

Comment

• Apparently, if one believes the government's restrictions on individual liberty in 2020 are unprecedented in the U.S., one must be against masks and must have taken their ideas straight from Trump's tweets. No one, by the way, bothers to point out a time when the government has issued more "severe, extensive and prolonged" restrictions of individual liberties for U.S. citizens.
              Whether the notion was taken from Trump’s tweets or somewhere else, it’s a remarkably stupid assertion.

The primary complaint seems to be that Alito conflated being labeled a bigot with the restriction of speech. It is true that one can physically say these words about marriage. Government officials have not forcibly stopped people from speaking heterodoxy. But Alito's point is that one speaks those words at increasing risk of being shut down. In many corporate and academic contexts, as well as in society at large, people actually do suffer penalties and forfeit opportunities for saying such things.
              Right. People do speak those words at increasing risk of being shut down. If a supreme court justice wants to weigh in on “cancel culture” go for it, I guess. Don’t try and paint it as a free speech issue.

Comment

• Dems plan to pack the supreme court...

HOUSE AND SENATE DEMOCRATS PLAN BILL TO ADD FOUR JUSTICES TO SUPREME COURT

CONGRESSIONAL DEMOCRATS PLAN to unveil legislation expanding the size of the Supreme Court on Thursday, according to three congressional sources familiar with the closely held measure.

The bill would add four seats to the high court, bringing the total to 13 from the current nine. The number of justices on the Court, which is set by Congress, has fluctuated throughout the course of the nation’s history, before settling on nine in 1869.

The bill is led by House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerry Nadler, Subcommittee chair Hank Johnson, and freshman Rep. Mondaire Jones. In the Senate, the bill is being championed by Ed Markey of Massachusetts.
                [...]
                https://theintercept.com/2021/04/14/...supreme-court/

13 is better than 9. 13 is a prime.

Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-14-2021, 06:15 PM.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• This bothered me when I read it. What's to stop the republicans from reducing the supreme court to one member when they control all of the branches?

Comment

• I am a little skeptical of this news. I just googled it and literally the only news sources with this story are a small handful of conservative sites.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                      This bothered me when I read it. What's to stop the republicans from reducing the supreme court to one member when they control all of the branches?
                      Lifetime appointments.

But yeah, theoretically they could pass a law that would say they won't replace anyone who retires or dies until they reach the number they want. Most likely what they will do next is refuse to confirm anyone the next time a dem president is in office with a gop senate.

Comment

• There are very few things that would result in me voting for Trump. Court packing by the Dems is one of those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• lol. Democrats don't have the balls to get rid of the filibuster that dates back to like 2000... or ICE, which dates back to 2001. Shit-- Biden himself doesn't even have the balls to get rid of Trump's shitty immigration policies because of CBP/GOP's laughable 'border crisis' headlines they've worked so hard for. The idea that they are going to change the rules to change the composition of the Supreme Court is nothing more than fodder and bluster for the GOP to get donations ahead of midterms.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Honestly, we need a constitutional amendment to fix the number of justices.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I am a little skeptical of this news. I just googled it and literally the only news sources with this story are a small handful of conservative sites.
                              Like the NYTimes? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/u...democrats.html
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                This bothered me when I read it. What's to stop the republicans from reducing the supreme court to one member when they control all of the branches?
                                I like 1 too... it's also a prime!
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X