The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    Free rape attempts, as long you're under 18!
    To quote frank ryan, that's a silly statement.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.apnews.com/amp/f5c1d1f9b...mpression=true

The Justice Department says the sexual assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh "does not involve any potential federal crime" for the FBI to investigate.

The department said in a statement Monday night that the FBI's role during background investigations is to evaluate whether the nominee could pose a national security risk and then provide that information "for the use of the decision makers."

The department says it's not the job of the FBI to judge the significance or the credibility of an accusation.
      I have no idea if the above statement is true, but if so the accusers request to not speak to congress before an fbi investigation is shot.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        https://www.apnews.com/amp/f5c1d1f9b...mpression=true

I have no idea if the above statement is true, but if so the accusers request to not speak to congress before an fbi investigation is shot.
        That makes sense. My first reaction was why on earth would the FBI be investgating something like this?
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          That makes sense. My first reaction was why on earth would the FBI be investgating something like this?
          Last edited by Moliere; 09-18-2018, 09:51 PM.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

And this is no doubt further evidence of my ignorance and insensitivity to the trauma women genuinely suffer at the hands of aggressive males, but I don't understand why a woman, with a doctorate in psychology whose dissertation centered on how children cope, would have harbored these pent-up anxieties for 30 years before mentioning them to anyone.
            It's not unusual to me that someone drawn to that field would've not worked through all their related problems. It's concerning, but it definitely happens.

Comment

It's not unusual to me that someone drawn to that field would've not worked through all their related problems. It's concerning, but it definitely happens.
              Sure, but it is just one more thing in the "This smells bad" column.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Flake and Corker, the two GOP votes who first expressed the desire to examine this woman's claims before a vote, both came out yesterday and basically said if she doesn't testify on Monday then they're not holding up the vote.

The Republicans consented to their demands for a hearing when they demanded one. Then they shifted the goalposts once again by saying she won't testify until after an FBI investigation. What is the FBI supposed to go on? She's provided no details regarding exact dates, locations and third parties present. Hell, do we even know the year? I think they have it narrowed down to Maryland and not Virginia or DC. This latest tactic just confirmed what most suspected, that this was a stunt designed to delay the vote and/or give cover for vulnerable Democrats (Tester, McKaskill) to not vote for Kavanaugh.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• It makes sense the FBI wouldn't investigate this as it relates to potentially being a crime. They don't have jurisdiction. I could see them doing backgrounds on potential nominees to see what skeletons are in the closet and if someone has potential to be compromised via blackmail or something similar. But that isn't what the Dems want.

Quite a few people go into psychology and social work initially based on their own issues and experiences. It doesn't surprise me at all if their area of study has to do with something they are familiar with and have experiences themselves. And, quite frankly, knowing the theory and potentially the means of helping others overcome their issues doesn't necessarily mean they've completely overcome them themselves.

Interestingly enough - if you were to become a Freud-style psychoanalyst you would be required to participate as a client and subject yourself to psychoanalysis yourself for quite some time before treating others. But there is no such requirement for someone to become a licensed clinical social worker or licensed psychologist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Interestingly enough - if you were to become a Freud-style psychoanalyst you would be required to participate as a client and subject yourself to psychoanalysis yourself for quite some time before treating others. But there is no such requirement for someone to become a licensed clinical social worker or licensed psychologist.
                    Some MFT programs used to require it but I don’t think they do anymore either. If you haven’t had some solid therapy and you do this work it will catch up to you at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I really don’t want to vote for Ted Cruz. I already voted against him twice. I’m afraid to look up what Beto is saying about this for fear I won’t want to vote for him.
                      Frick'n Beto wants to ban BBQ!

BBQ'ed tofu?
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I was following an interesting thread on twitter yesterday started by a sexual assault victim. The tweet had over 2k replies from sexual assault victims all pretty much saying the same thing: (To paraphrase)

I remember everything about the day that I was sexually assaulted. The location, the setting, what I was wearing, what was on the radio/TV, what the person smelled like, the weather. It is something that never goes away or never leaves you. She has too many holes in her story to have had this happen to her. She would remember every single detail."

I was sickened by some of the stuff that I was reading. There was a gal on there that was SA at the age of 4. She said she still remembers the cartoon that was on TV when it happened. Made me tear up.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          I was following an interesting thread on twitter yesterday started by a sexual assault victim. The tweet had over 2k replies from sexual assault victims all pretty much saying the same thing: (To paraphrase)

I remember everything about the day that I was sexually assaulted. The location, the setting, what I was wearing, what was on the radio/TV, what the person smelled like, the weather. It is something that never goes away or never leaves you. She has too many holes in her story to have had this happen to her. She would remember every single detail."

I was sickened by some of the stuff that I was reading. There was a gal on there that was SA at the age of 4. She said she still remembers the cartoon that was on TV when it happened. Made me tear up.
                          Not every sexual assault victim remembers every detail. That’s not a true generalization at all. Some people are really good at suppressing memories and telling themselves nothing happened while others have a very clear memory. There is no set way that trauma gets remembered.

Comment

Not every sexual assault victim remembers every detail. That’s not a true generalization at all. Some people are really good at suppressing memories and telling themselves nothing happened while others have a very clear memory. There is no set way that trauma gets remembered.
                            That's probably true. And there is probably some abuse that didn't happen that gets drummed up in "therapy". So there's no way to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              That's probably true. And there is probably some abuse that didn't happen that gets drummed up in "therapy". So there's no way to know.
                              It’s not a good look to judge someone’s assertion of abuse based on one’s own. That lady is speaking out of turn.

To your other point, in the Satanic Panic therapists influencing people to imagine traumas was a thing. I think it can still happen, but we know a lot more about it and it’s a lot less likely. Overall, we are a lot better at treating trauma than we used to be.

Comment

It’s not a good look to judge someone’s assertion of abuse based on one’s own. That lady is speaking out of turn.

To your other point, in the Satanic Panic therapists influencing people to imagine traumas was a thing. I think it can still happen, but we know a lot more about it and it’s a lot less likely. Overall, we are a lot better at treating trauma than we used to be.
                                I was speaking with my brother, who's a forensic psychiatrist, about this. He told me the repressed memory thing is complete BS. I found this article through Google, but he also mentioned a case where a guy went on the litigation war path against a therapist/counseling service that engaged in this rubbish with his kid.

https://psmag.com/social-justice/dan...l-health-93325
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X