The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    The accuser is going to receive death threats galore from the deplorables. I have to admire her not hiding behind anonomynity. Whatever the details I believe something traumatic happened to her in high school.
    Whatever the details? Details like who did it? Like if it happened at all?

The problem is that she DID hide behind her anonymity. She, and Anna Eshoo and DiFi, decided to keep the whole thing quiet until it could be dropped at the last minute. I am not impressed with her action here. If she was going to stand up to this person, then she should have done so when he was nominated. But if she was going to keep it quiet, then she should have stayed silent. As it is she is either a cynical operativer or she is being manipulated by the democrats.

Anyone issuing death threats is deplorable, whether the threat is to the accuser or to Kavanaugh for having the temerity of being nominated to the Supreme Court while possibly disagreeing with them on the analytical framework of the Roe decision. You think Kavanaugh hasn't received a mountain of threats already?

This is all just political theater. I have no strong feelings about the accuser but I suspect she is being manipulated and I suspect she believes she is telling the truth. But the whole thing stinks.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
      If Ford really thinks her experience with BK at a party 40 years should disqualify him from the Supreme Court (and if she's right, it probably should), why didn't she come forward when Trump put his name on the list of potential supreme court nominees before the election? Or after Trump was elected? She has had 2+ years to get this story on his record and she did nothing. Too late now. The story has too many holes to derail the nomination at this point.
      I don’t think it’s an easy decision to make. If she came out about it 2 years ago no one would have paid attention. If one believes the accuser experienced trauma and was attacked, this isn’t the case of no big deal.

I’m honestly undecided whether or not this should derail his nomination, but let’s hear what she has to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        That podcast is scary. It's crazy how something we think as indelible as 9/11 or other disaster is remembered so differently, even amongst people who shared it together.
        Its a great podcast. Everyone should listen to it.

My best friend, who I have known since we were 16 and with whom I have shared many of my most memorable events in life, is constantly disagreeing with me about not just details but even the most basic facts of our shared experiences. Recently we were talking about a funny story that happened when he and I were on a double date where we were around 17 or maybe 18 and we couldn't even agree on the girls we were dating at the time. This took place about 40 years ago. Each of us was absolutely convinced the other was dead wrong. As I sit here I have no idea which us is correct. (it was me, though.)
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I don’t think it’s an easy decision to make. If she came out about it 2 years ago no one would have paid attention. If one believes the accuser experienced trauma and was attacked, this isn’t the case of no big deal.

I’m honestly undecided whether or not this should derail his nomination, but let’s hear what she has to say.
          I agree. At this point we must hear what she has to say. Her claims are a cloud that may never be lifted. It would be a mistake not to at least hear her out and give Kavanaugh a chance to respond.

But the timing is rotten.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I agree that it isn't an easy decision. I also agree that no one would have paid attention had she done it two years ago. But if she had come out two years ago (or even 6 months ago), it would have been part of his record when Trump was deciding who to nominate. And with so many quality candidates, I assume Trump would have chosen differently.

It seems like that's a much better situation for a victim. Get it on the record and avoid the circus that she's about to face in Washington. Waiting until now guarantees maximum attention for her. Is that what she was seeking all along?

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
              If Ford really thinks her experience with BK at a party 40 years should disqualify him from the Supreme Court (and if she's right, it probably should), why didn't she come forward when Trump put his name on the list of potential supreme court nominees before the election? Or after Trump was elected? She has had 2+ years to get this story on his record and she did nothing. Too late now. The story has too many holes to derail the nomination at this point.
              Apparently she did-- she went straight to the Democrats on the judiciary committee, who have known about it for months.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Its a great podcast. Everyone should listen to it.
                I used to love it, until I heard the golf episode. And the higher education episode. They both upset me, albeit for different reasons.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  Apparently she did-- she went straight to the Democrats on the judiciary committee, who have known about it for months.
                  Its not like the Democrats are the gate keeper for when accusations can be made public. Unless, of course, this woman is a fame-seeker.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I used to love it, until I heard the golf episode. And the higher education episode. They both upset me, albeit for different reasons.
                    I often disagree with him and sometimes find him to be too squishy and mamby-pamby for my tastes, but I think his podcasts are worth it because his writing is elegant and he is smart.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I often disagree with him and sometimes find him to be too squishy and mamby-pamby for my tastes, but I think his podcasts are worth it because his writing is elegant and he is smart.
                      Actually, I share your thoughts on him. I have enjoyed most episodes, but half the time I want to get him on the telephone and point out the flaws in his arguments.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm no golfer, so the higher education episode was more troublesome for me. Recently, the football/CTE episode bothered me a lot, during the week. Then I forgot about it on the weekend

For the most part, I enjoy his podcast. Every once in a while he overreaches. But he usually makes interesting points that I haven't considered before.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I'm no golfer, so the higher education episode was more troublesome for me. Recently, the football/CTE episode bothered me a lot, during the week. Then I forgot about it on the weekend

For the most part, I enjoy his podcast. Every once in a while he overreaches. But he usually makes interesting points that I haven't considered before.
                          The CTE episode was actually about burdens of proof. The CTE/black lung comparisoin was very sobering to me. It made me feel ghuyilty for enjoying fotball as much as I do right up until BYU took the lead over Wisconsin.

And his writing? He writes very, very well, IMO. ANd because his stuff is scripted it is so nice to listen to as compared to most of the crap out there which is delievered off the top by people who aren't half as good at it as they think they are.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This is all just political theater. I have no strong feelings about the accuser but I suspect she is being manipulated and I suspect she believes she is telling the truth. But the whole thing stinks.
                            Facts Matter!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Its not like the Democrats are the gate keeper for when accusations can be made public. Unless, of course, this woman is a fame-seeker.
                              The strategy here is clear and it's politically brilliant. The democrats don't want another Trump nominee on the Supreme Court. Letting this come out in July would have simply resulted in another nominee basically on the same nomination timeline. Dropping it now makes it impossible to get another nominee through before the election. So the republicans either have to support this nominee or risk having to push a different Trump nominee through a democratic senate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Facts Matter!

If she's a political activist, her accusation looks quite suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X