The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    I don’t think it’s an easy decision to make. If she came out about it 2 years ago no one would have paid attention. If one believes the accuser experienced trauma and was attacked, this isn’t the case of no big deal.

I’m honestly undecided whether or not this should derail his nomination, but let’s hear what she has to say.
    I agree... let her speak!

Oh, wait... are you talking about Keith Ellison's former girlfriend that none of the dems seem to believe or the pink hat wearing "resistance" leftist that is finally now recalling BK did some stupid things as a teenager? Yeah, put the both under oath and let's hear them! Of course, nearly 40 years later she has been given her chance to talk but seems to want to shut up now... 'Very puzzling'.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      If she's a political activist, her accusation looks quite suspect.
      LOL. I have no idea whether Kavanaugh did what he is accused of or whether it's all made up or whether it's something in the middle. But to assume that she is lying because she is an "activist" (meaning she marched in a protest) is so cynical as to make my eyes bleed.

We had a powerpoint presentation from the stake (snooze) a few years back that listed "political activism" as a trait associated with apostasy. The poor brother presenting got an earful from Brother Reid.

Comment

• Ouch... The Chronicle has turned into a GOP'er rag:

Editorial: A disturbing 11th-hour allegation against Kavanaugh

Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s treatment of a more than 3-decade-old sexual assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was unfair all around. It was unfair to Kavanaugh, unfair to his accuser and unfair to Feinstein’s colleagues — Democrats and Republicans alike — on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Feinstein, a California Democrat, took the worst possible course by waiting until almost a week after Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing was completed to ominously announce that she had turned over “information from an individual” about Kavanaugh to the FBI, and adding that she would be honoring the woman’s “strongly requested” confidentiality.

Feinstein has been around Washington long enough to know that her opaque statement guaranteed that the contents of the letter, sent by a Stanford law professor on behalf of the accuser, would be pursued and publicized in short order. And they were.
        [...]
        In concealing the accusation she had received in July, according to reports, Feinstein did a disservice to her Judiciary Committee colleagues, who might have wanted to determine if corroborating accounts were available, or at least question Kavanaugh about the accusation in a closed session.

Instead, Feinstein’s colleagues were left in the dark. The letter had been sent to Feinstein through Rep. Anna Eshoo’s office.

White House spokeswoman Kerri Kupec has called the letter an “11th-hour attempt to delay” the confirmation vote.
        https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/...n-13230890.php
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          LOL. I have no idea whether Kavanaugh did what he is accused of or whether it's all made up or whether it's something in the middle. But to assume that she is lying because she is an "activist" (meaning she marched in a protest) is so cynical as to make my eyes bleed.

We had a powerpoint presentation from the stake (snooze) a few years back that listed "political activism" as a trait associated with apostasy. The poor brother presenting got an earful from Brother Reid.
          I hope the stake called Brother Reid to repentance for his own sake.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            I hope the stake called Brother Reid to repentance for his own sake.
            I note, with little surprise, your support of a distant, opaque, governing body that is out of touch with local concerns.
            Last edited by Applejack; 09-18-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post

Couldn't something as traumatic as an attempted rape (hypothetically speaking) at a young age, steer someone towards political activism and /or fighting for women's rights?
              Last edited by Art Vandelay; 09-18-2018, 02:08 PM. Reason: for clarity

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                Couldn't something as traumatic as an attempted rape (hypothetically speaking) at a young age, steer someone towards political activism and fighting for women's rights?
                She was protesting for "science" not women's rights.
                One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                SU

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                  She was protesting for "science" not women's rights.
                  I should have put "and/or" instead of "and"

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    I should have put "and/or" instead of "and"
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post

I'm not just talking about marching in one protest. And maybe I am cynical. Art actually brings up a good point, and I'd be willing to reconsider my position. Let me just say that it smells bad.

Comment

That’s a silly statement.

Comment

That’s a silly statement.
                          How about, if she's an extreme liberal political activist, her accusation might be suspect.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            How about, if she's an extreme liberal political activist, her accusation might be suspect.
                            If she's a political operative I'd understand that. If she attends protests and is a feminist that's a silly reason to dismiss things. It's not copasetic to tell an abuse victim they shouldn't be politically engaged. They're already disempowered enough.

Comment

If she's a political operative I'd understand that. If she attends protests and is a feminist that's a silly reason to dismiss things. It's not copasetic to tell an abuse victim they shouldn't be politically engaged. They're already disempowered enough.
                              Sure, but it merits further investigation. As SteelBlue put it recently in another thread, it deserves to be put in the "evidence against" column.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It's not copacetic to let your bias lead you to make false or exaggerated claims, either. The problem here is that we really know nothing about her bias or motivation. Given the highly unusual (or maybe unlikely or even suspicious) circumstances in which her claim is first raised against Kavanaugh, you cannot look past any possible indicators of bias or motive. No one is telling her she CAN'T be an activist, but some are wondering if she already is doesn't this shed light on her claim (and its timing and tenor).
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X