The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Wow! I thought 2020 was losing steam but then it picks right back up again. We are like a month and a half from an election. There’s no way they fill the seat before the election. Does the GOP use this as there new battle cry? Elect Donald Trump and possibly over turn roe v wade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Supposedly conservatives are more animated by the courts than Dems, so I think it's a strategy that they should exploit (politically speaking). I doubt susan collins and lisa murkowski would vote for it anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
      Trump being Trump means he will do what's best for Trump. And what's best for Trump is putting a chip in play that will make people vote for him. I think he tables filling the vacancy until at least after the election.
      Yeah, now I think you're right.

I am so looking forward to the pro-life (no really, honest!) president making this a campaign issue.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• RIP RBG.

I fully expect that 2020 is going to end on a cliff hanger with Bush v Gore style drama and the supreme court in a 4-4 deadlock.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
          RIP RBG.

I fully expect that 2020 is going to end on a cliff hanger with Bush v Gore style drama and the supreme court in a 4-4 deadlock.
          I was just wondering how a split Supreme Court decision is settled. Guess we may find out when the mail in ballot case comes before the court. The only question is which political party sued first.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            Yeah, now I think you're right.

I am so looking forward to the pro-life (no really, honest!) president making this a campaign issue.
            Can I take that back?

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              I was just wondering how a split Supreme Court decision is settled. Guess we may find out when the mail in ballot case comes before the court. The only question is which political party sued first.

An evenly split Supreme Court decision means whatever the court below decided is affirmed.

Trump will likely nominate someone right away, but the confirmation vote won’t happen until after the election. The next six weeks are going to be hell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Can I take that back?

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                  An evenly split Supreme Court decision means whatever the court below decided is affirmed.

Trump will likely nominate someone right away, but the confirmation vote won’t happen until after the election. The next six weeks are going to be hell.
                  Right, nominate now, let the conservatives make it an election issue.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    I would go so far as to say the GOP would fill it even after the election before Biden's inauguration, where senators had to hold a special session over their holiday recess.
                    This is setting up for some yuge political drama. A replacement might be nominated and confirmed by a lame duck president and a lame duck GOP controlled Senate.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      The GOP’ers should just save this for the lame duck session... that way voters can “hold their nose and vote for Drumpf” again and still get a conservative pick.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Problem is, the Republicans don’t pick up any new votes on that issue. The Trumpster base isn’t going to expand and they’re already highly motivated to vote so nothing changes. But it will indeed catalyze the hard left that was unenthusiastic about Biden, and some independents that are wary of the balance of SCOTUS tipping too far right.

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
                        --William Blake, via Shpongle

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post
                          Problem is, the Republicans don’t pick up any new votes on that issue. The Trumpster base isn’t going to expand and they’re already highly motivated to vote so nothing changes. But it will indeed catalyze the hard left that was unenthusiastic about Biden, and some independents that are wary of the balance of SCOTUS tipping too far right.

This is what I've been wondering about. I think you're spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                            Supposedly conservatives are more animated by the courts than Dems, so I think it's a strategy that they should exploit (politically speaking). I doubt susan collins and lisa murkowski would vote for it anyway.
                            Originally posted by Harry Tic View Post

So which is it?

The thought of Dems packing the court genuinely fills me with dread. If that happens, just break this stupid country up. I really wish we could just agree to a more federalist system. Let counties and states have more power than the feds. It is the only way to save this country.

Comment

Mmm, I don't think I agree. I agree the Trump base isn't going to expand, but I think the anti-Trump side isnt going to expand either, for the same reason that they're highly motivated.

But I think there are plenty of independents who hate Trump, but don't love Biden and his apparent dementia. I am one of those. I'm more of a never Trumper at this point, but I can see some people who would be animated by the long term impact of a supreme court vacancy who were previously leaning Biden.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Agreed
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X