The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
    No one is overturning Obergefell or Roe. These questions distract from the merits.
    Is substantial modification also unlikely?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Is substantial modification also unlikely?
      From the High Court, not terribly likely. Concerned citizens should pay more attention to their circuit nominees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
        No one is overturning Obergefell or Roe. These questions distract from the merits.
        yes!
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• I reported my rapist today so he can’t become a Supreme Court justice later

Now I see that reporting has a purpose, even if it’s not about the pursuit of legal justice. The report may be confidential, and the perpetrator may not suffer immediate consequences. But Kavanaugh defenders doubted Ford’s credibility because there was no contemporaneous evidence of any misdeeds. If she’d been able to point to paperwork she’d filled out in the early 1980s, this conversation — and Kavanaugh’s candidacy for the Supreme Court — would probably have ended weeks ago. Reporting an incident as soon as possible puts contemporaneous testimony into the record, in case it is ever needed.
          WTH? So the critical reason to report a sexual assault is just in case the assailant happens to ascend to the doorstep of the Supreme Court several years later? How about protecting other possible victims in real time?

These people are the real deplorables.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            I reported my rapist today so he can’t become a Supreme Court justice later

WTH? So the critical reason to report a sexual assault is just in case the assailant happens to ascend to the doorstep of the Supreme Court several years later? How about protecting other possible victims in real time?

These people are the real deplorables.
            Good grief, that rape victim’s not a deplorable. That can be a valid reason for someone their rapist. Who cares?
            Last edited by frank ryan; 10-07-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Good grief, that rape victim’s not a deplorable. That can be a valid reason for someone their rapist. Who cares?
              I do think it is deplorable that her motivation for action is using her victimhood as some kind of political tool. Why isn't she going to the police, even now? She is letting two rapists go free and endangering other women. She owes it to all of us to put these two predators behind bars.
              Last edited by myboynoah; 10-07-2018, 08:22 AM.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• In response to our earlier discussion about which side is motivated now:

Going to be a really interesting election.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  In response to our earlier discussion about which side is motivated now:

Going to be a really interesting election.
                  I've watched 538's tracker of the likelihood that either party would control the house/senate after the elections. The outcome is still predicted to be the same but trended noticeably toward republicans since the last hearing.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Speaking of 538, I was searching for something earlier this week and I stumbled across this pre-2016-election piece by HuffPo. The righteous indignation is palpable.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0334571e09e74
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      I've watched 538's tracker of the likelihood that either party would control the house/senate after the elections. The outcome is still predicted to be the same but trended noticeably toward republicans since the last hearing.
                      Don’t tell Babs. She won’t believe you.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        I don’t read that speculation but I think the Dems will have a hard time taking the senate. They have more to lose than to gain there. If I was running the DNC then I concentrate on taking the house... then they could at least impeach Drumpf and let Pence have a turn being president.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-07-2018, 10:13 AM.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Don’t tell Babs. She won’t believe you.
                          She’ll believe that’s what 538 projects.

Comment

• Lots of Planned Parenthood Protestors out today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              I don’t read that speculation but I think the Dems will have a hard time taking the senate. They have more to lose than to gain there. If I was running the DNC then I concentrate on taking the house... then they could at least impeach Drumpf and let Pence have a turn being president.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              How will Pence become President if the Repubs hold the Senate? No way Trump loses a trial in the Senate.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                How will Pence become President if the Repubs hold the Senate? No way Trump loses a trial in the Senate.
                                I would expect that the house would vote and impeach but before the senate had a chance to try Drumpf he would say the hell with this and just resign.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X