Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 570 of 1082

Thread: The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

  1. #541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Do you think multiple front doors are cheap?
    I chuckled.

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Don't pretend to know her financial accomplishments. She could be have been an investor in Theranos.

  2. #542
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The calendar thing is weak IMO. I know it's evidence, and I know he has to try to disprove the assault happening on any day during that time in question. But it still seems like he's relying on it a lot.
    Yeah, it is about as weak as Dr. Ford's testimony and no collaborating witnesses. The difference is BK has witnesses that Dr. Ford named that back his calendar (and story).
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  3. #543

    Default

    His hair bugs me. Also, he looks like fat John Ritter.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  4. #544

    Default

    Maybe that vote won't be delayed after all. This is one forceful denial.

  5. #545
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The calendar thing is weak IMO. I know it's evidence, and I know he has to try to disprove the assault happening on any day during that time in question. But it still seems like he's relying on it a lot.
    Created contemporaneously as well. I know it's not going to say "tried to rape Christine tonight, couldn't figure the swimsuit out", but I think it's solid evidence.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  6. #546
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Do you think multiple front doors are cheap?
    :Rollie:
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #547
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    His hair bugs me. Also, he looks like fat John Ritter.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  8. #548
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I can't handle this. If he's innocent, I just can't comprehend Ford knowingly lying. She has no reason to. But he seems very sincere.
    Ideological reasons? In over her head and can't retreat without damaging herself further? There are lots of reasons.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  9. #549
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    His hair bugs me. Also, he looks like fat John Ritter.
    LOL
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #550
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    Of course he is relying on it! It is an historical record of his life in question.

    While she is vague and going off memory that has not been Corroborated by anyone..

    I find it solid vs. recollection..
    He didn't put routine things 'brush my teeth,' 'go to church' and 'skeev on chicks at frat parties' on his calendar. Well that about wraps it up!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  11. #551
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    She is a professor. She's affiliated with Stanford medical school. What kind of money would she need to make upending her life for this worth it?
    I think you are being extremely naive here. People do this stuff for many, many reasons. First, she might not be lying in her own mind. She might be absolutely certain she is telling the truth, but still be flatly wrong. it was 36 years ago, supposedly, and it was an event that she never mentioned, not once, for over 30 years and, when she did first mention it, the contemporaneous writing that recorded it doesn't say anything about Kavanaugh. She could be manufacturing memories (it happens) or she might have gradually but erroneously concluded it was Kavanaugh, or she might just be crazy on this topic. Second, if she was attacked, speaking out might be giving her some relief, some control, some victory over the experience that she suffered. Obtaining that relief might be well worth overstating or even lying about her certainty with respect to the attacker's identity. Third, she might just be lying. It happens. I have seen it happen. I have had witnesses do it. I have seen experts do it. I have seen cops do it. And all of these under oath. I have been flummoxed when it has happened. The problem is, once you tell a story like that, it is very hard to back up. So this is why we look for corroboration. And she has none. Zero. The only thing she has been certain of is that it was Kavanaugh. There is virtually nothing else --NOTHING--that she is certain about. Fourth, you are again being very naive if you think there is not a lot of possible glory and compensation ahead for her. She will be paid to speak. She will be given employment and research opportunities. She will be a popular professor. She will be the darling of a certain segment of the political world. While she will, in the near term, be facing nuts who threaten her (like Kavanaugh also faces) in the mid and long term she will likely benefit a great deal. While she does make a credible appearance, that does not mean she is truthful or accurate.
    Last edited by creekster; 09-27-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  12. #552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Created contemporaneously as well. I know it's not going to say "tried to rape Christine tonight, couldn't figure the swimsuit out", but I think it's solid evidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Ideological reasons? In over her head and can't retreat without damaging herself further? There are lots of reasons.
    I know there's reasons. But none I really want to consider being plausible.

    This is just terrible. I really am torn.

  13. #553
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,267

    Default

    Lots of rage, then emotion. Overall, very powerful.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #554
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    He didn't put routine things 'brush my teeth,' 'go to church' and 'skeev on chicks at frat parties' on his calendar. Well that about wraps it up!
    What a stupid response to try and disqualify a detailed historical document that reflects his life without any knowledge of what is now taking place.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I think you are being extremely naive here. People do this stuff for many, many reasons. First, she might not be lying in her own mind. She might be absolutely certain she is telling the truth, but still be flatly wrong. it was 36 years ago, supposedly, and it was an event that she never mentioned, not once, for over 30 years and, when she did first mention it, the contemporaneous writing that recorded it doesn't say anything about Kavanaugh. She could be manufacturing memories (it happens) or she might have gradually but erroneously concluded it was Kavanaugh, or she might just be crazy on this topic. Second, if she was attacked, speaking out might be giving her some relief, some control, some victory over the experience that she suffered. Obtaining that relief might be well worth overstating or even lying about her certainty with respect to the attacker's identity. Third, she might just be lying. It happens. I have seen it happen. I have had witnesses do it. I have seen experts do it. I have seen cops do it. And all of these under oath. I have been flummoxed when it has happened. The problem is, once you tell a story like that, it is very hard to back up. So this is why we look for corroboration. And she has none. Zero. The only thing she has been certain of is that it was Kavanaugh. There is virtually nothing else --NOTHING--that she is certain about. Fourth, you are again being very naive if you think there is not a lot of possible glory and compensation ahead for her. She will be paid to speak. She will be given employment and research opportunities. She will be a popular professor. She will be the darling of a certain segment of the political world. While she will, in the near term, be facing nuts who threaten her (like Kavanaugh) in the mid and long term she will likely benefit a great deal. While she does make a credible appearance, that does not mean she is truthful or accurate.
    Well call me naïve then. Yes there are many nefarious reasons, for many people. But for her, an accomplished person who just doesn't seem to need any of this limelight, I find it hard to believe that she is lying.
    I think I can allow that for some reason, she is just completely mistaken about the identity of her attacker. That is plausible to me, but I still give her story a lot of weight. As far as compensation is concerned, yep, I bet some will come along her way. But I find it extremely implausible that given what we know of her, she is doing this for the hope of compensation. Just very unlikely IMO.

  16. #556
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,344

    Default

    What I want to know is, did they drink beer?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  17. #557
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What I want to know is, did they drink beer?
    I am not sure, but I heard that he likes beer.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  18. #558
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Well call me naïve then. Yes there are many nefarious reasons, for many people. But for her, an accomplished person who just doesn't seem to need any of this limelight, I find it hard to believe that she is lying.
    I think I can allow that for some reason, she is just completely mistaken about the identity of her attacker. That is plausible to me, but I still give her story a lot of weight. As far as compensation is concerned, yep, I bet some will come along her way. But I find it extremely implausible that given what we know of her, she is doing this for the hope of compensation. Just very unlikely IMO.
    Ok, you're naive.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  19. #559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What I want to know is, did they drink beer?

    Have you ever ground your genitals against Dr. Ford? What kind of stupid question is that? I wish he had said, "well, when did she become a doctor?"
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  20. #560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    What a stupid response to try and disqualify a detailed historical document that reflects his life without any knowledge of what is now taking place.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are plenty of over of points to try and fight over. The calendar is not a strong one at all.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  21. #561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Ok, you're naive.
    And right now, I'm content in it. I really can't handle contemplating who is lying here.

    I know it's a stressful time for him, but he doesn't handle those questions from Feinstien and the prosecutor well. Almost condescending and sneering.

  22. #562
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    I was disappointed that he didn't go after feinstein when she asked him about the FBI investigation. She asks him why doesn't he want an investigation? His answer was good, but I would have liked to see him add something like "and I am left to wonder why you didn't seek a confidential investigation through the committee when you received the letter from Dr. Ford rather than wait until after the hearing was done." It is the height of hypocrisy for DiFi to complain about a failure to seek an earlier investigation.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  23. #563
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,267

    Default

    This whole thing is yet another data point that drinking alcohol is a dumb thing to do. sjbh
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  24. #564
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    And right now, I'm content in it. I really can't handle contemplating who is lying here.

    I know it's a stressful time for him, but he doesn't handle those questions from Feinstien and the prosecutor well. Almost condescending and sneering.
    yes. see my commennt above. Feinstein deserves ot be sneered at given her complicit behavior in this circus.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  25. #565
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I was disappointed that he didn't go after feinstein when she asked him about the FBI investigation. She asks him why doesn't he want an investigation? His answer was good, but I would have liked to see him add something like "and I am left to wonder why you didn't seek a confidential investigation through the committee when you received the letter from Dr. Ford rather than wait until after the hearing was done." It is the height of hypocrisy for DiFi to complain about a failure to seek an earlier investigation.
    Yeah, he didn't handle that exchange well. He should have said, "You are clearly implying that I am afraid of facts being investigated. Nothing is further from the truth - all of the evidence supports my version of the story because it didn't happen."

    Something to that effect.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  26. #566
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yeah, he didn't handle that exchange well. He should have said, "You are clearly implying that I am afraid of facts being investigated. Nothing is further from the truth - all of the evidence supports my version of the story because it didn't happen."

    Something to that effect.
    Exactly. That's what I expected him to say. An investigation isn't necessary because there's nothing to find.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  27. #567

    Default

    I could see this:


  28. #568
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,344

    Default

    Nina Tottenburg on NPR calling Kavanaugh's testimony a "performance".
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #569
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I could see this:

    Yes, except for the part where Ford's friend, who Ford claims was at the party, says that she was never at a party with Kavanaugh in HS and that she didn't even KNOW Kavanaugh.

    Now THATS an inconvenient fact, Al Gore.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  30. #570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Yes, except for the part where Ford's friend, who Ford claims was at the party, says that she was never at a party with Kavanaugh in HS and that she didn't even KNOW Kavanaugh.

    Now THATS an inconvenient fact, Al Gore.
    Cheeky monkey!

    Just trying to square the belief that Ford was assaulted by Kavanaugh, and he denies it. Maybe her friend simply doesn't remember the party.

    This is more for my well-being than to convince my fake internet friends.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •