Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1898

Thread: The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Wow! I thought 2020 was losing steam but then it picks right back up again. We are like a month and a half from an election. There’s no way they fill the seat before the election. Does the GOP use this as there new battle cry? Elect Donald Trump and possibly over turn roe v wade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Supposedly conservatives are more animated by the courts than Dems, so I think it's a strategy that they should exploit (politically speaking). I doubt susan collins and lisa murkowski would vote for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Trump being Trump means he will do what's best for Trump. And what's best for Trump is putting a chip in play that will make people vote for him. I think he tables filling the vacancy until at least after the election.
    Yeah, now I think you're right.

I am so looking forward to the pro-life (no really, honest!) president making this a campaign issue.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

RIP RBG.

I fully expect that 2020 is going to end on a cliff hanger with Bush v Gore style drama and the supreme court in a 4-4 deadlock.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    RIP RBG.

I fully expect that 2020 is going to end on a cliff hanger with Bush v Gore style drama and the supreme court in a 4-4 deadlock.
    I was just wondering how a split Supreme Court decision is settled. Guess we may find out when the mail in ballot case comes before the court. The only question is which political party sued first.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Yeah, now I think you're right.

I am so looking forward to the pro-life (no really, honest!) president making this a campaign issue.
    Can I take that back?

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I was just wondering how a split Supreme Court decision is settled. Guess we may find out when the mail in ballot case comes before the court. The only question is which political party sued first.

An evenly split Supreme Court decision means whatever the court below decided is affirmed.

Trump will likely nominate someone right away, but the confirmation vote won’t happen until after the election. The next six weeks are going to be hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Can I take that back?

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    An evenly split Supreme Court decision means whatever the court below decided is affirmed.

Trump will likely nominate someone right away, but the confirmation vote won’t happen until after the election. The next six weeks are going to be hell.
    Right, nominate now, let the conservatives make it an election issue.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I would go so far as to say the GOP would fill it even after the election before Biden's inauguration, where senators had to hold a special session over their holiday recess.
    This is setting up for some yuge political drama. A replacement might be nominated and confirmed by a lame duck president and a lame duck GOP controlled Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    The GOP’ers should just save this for the lame duck session... that way voters can “hold their nose and vote for Drumpf” again and still get a conservative pick.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I've Made a Huge Mistake. Harry Tic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Problem is, the Republicans don’t pick up any new votes on that issue. The Trumpster base isn’t going to expand and they’re already highly motivated to vote so nothing changes. But it will indeed catalyze the hard left that was unenthusiastic about Biden, and some independents that are wary of the balance of SCOTUS tipping too far right.

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.
    --William Blake, via Shpongle

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tic View Post
    Problem is, the Republicans don’t pick up any new votes on that issue. The Trumpster base isn’t going to expand and they’re already highly motivated to vote so nothing changes. But it will indeed catalyze the hard left that was unenthusiastic about Biden, and some independents that are wary of the balance of SCOTUS tipping too far right.

This is what I've been wondering about. I think you're spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    Supposedly conservatives are more animated by the courts than Dems, so I think it's a strategy that they should exploit (politically speaking). I doubt susan collins and lisa murkowski would vote for it anyway.

So which is it?

The thought of Dems packing the court genuinely fills me with dread. If that happens, just break this stupid country up. I really wish we could just agree to a more federalist system. Let counties and states have more power than the feds. It is the only way to save this country.

Mmm, I don't think I agree. I agree the Trump base isn't going to expand, but I think the anti-Trump side isnt going to expand either, for the same reason that they're highly motivated.

But I think there are plenty of independents who hate Trump, but don't love Biden and his apparent dementia. I am one of those. I'm more of a never Trumper at this point, but I can see some people who would be animated by the long term impact of a supreme court vacancy who were previously leaning Biden.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Agreed
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

So has Sleepy Joe published a list of his potential supreme court picks like Drumpf has? In fact, Drumpf recently updated his. Who's on Joe's list?

Apparently it is a list of African American women. So like...

Maxine Waters:

Ilhan Omar:

Kamala Harris:

Kamala would be interesting seeing her get grilled like she did with Kavanaugh.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

this is going to be an absolute goddamn clusterfuck. should have just given merrick garland a hearing.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

So which is it?

The thought of Dems packing the court genuinely fills me with dread. If that happens, just break this stupid country up. I really wish we could just agree to a more federalist system. Let counties and states have more power than the feds. It is the only way to save this country.
    Lol, knock it off. Start paying attention to Trump and Barr with respect to civil liberties and respecting states' rights.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Lol, knock it off. Start paying attention to Trump and Barr with respect to civil liberties and respecting states' rights.
    Hey, I'm not a Trump fan. I think he is toxic. But "hey look at the other side" is just as faulty a justification as it has been for Trump and the GOP.

Trump will absolutely install a mediocre and, likely sketchy, justice who has been vetted for loyalty and who will all but be guaranteed to support him if the election is determined by the supreme court.

That worked so well last time. Many political analysts think one of the major reasons Trump won in 2016 is because there was an open Supreme Court seat. Conservatives held their nose and voted for him because of the open Scalia seat.

Hey, I'm not a Trump fan. I think he is toxic. But "hey look at the other side" is just as faulty a justification as it has been for Trump and the GOP.
    One side is doing the most damage to our institutions, and it's not close, and it's the one with the most power. "The two sides are both bad" statement doesn't have the same punch it used. As a Libertarian, I'd hope you'd find Trump more than just toxic. He's not fit to be POTUS.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

So here is a question for the democratic learning folks here. In your world view, what is more damaging to the country. A conservative Supreme Court or 4 more years of Trump?
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I could see Trump nominating Amy Comey Barrett, a circuit court judge, married with children and thought by many on the right to be a potential decisive vote on Roe v. Wade, in the hope of getting some of the suburban women voters he's lost over the past three years. I don't think McConnell will be able to ram the nomination through before the election, but Trump will insist (without result) that Biden name his potential nominee, making the election between two Supreme Court nominees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    So here is a question for the democratic learning folks here. In your world view, what is more damaging to the country. A conservative Supreme Court or 4 more years of Trump?
    Not even close for me, I'd prefer any kind of court to four more years of Trump.

Trump (he's a genuine threat to our national security) but not all conservative courts are equal. Roberts is a fantastic Justice.

Trump has done a good job with Supreme Court picks.

I think if Trump loses and could get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed as a lame duck that would be just fine.

Both sides should relax about the abortion issue. Roe v Wade isn’t getting overturned no matter what.

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I could see Trump nominating Amy Comey Barrett, a circuit court judge, married with children and thought by many on the right to be a potential decisive vote on Roe v. Wade, in the hope of getting some of the suburban women voters he's lost over the past three years. I don't think McConnell will be able to ram the nomination through before the election, but Trump will insist (without result) that Biden name his potential nominee, making the election between two Supreme Court nominees.

Not even close for me, I'd prefer any kind of court to four more years of Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Trump (he's a genuine threat to our national security) but not all conservative courts are equal. Roberts is a fantastic Justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Trump has done a good job with Supreme Court picks.

I think if Trump loses and could get Amy Coney Barrett confirmed as a lame duck that would be just fine.

Both sides should relax about the abortion issue. Roe v Wade isn’t getting overturned no matter what.
    Agree across the board. The make up of the Supreme Court just doesn't move the needle for me. I would like to see a return to the usual rancor in DC over the shit show of the last 4 years
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Agree across the board. The make up of the Supreme Court just doesn't move the needle for me. I would like to see a return to the usual rancor in DC over the shit show of the last 4 years
    We never knew how good we had it!

Definitely 4 more years of Trump. What's the worst a conservative Supreme Court is going to do? Overturn Roe v. Wade? It would be a shame, but big whoop. Trump is moving our country towards fascism, and if he's re-elected there is a significant portion of the country that won't accept it and will stand up against it. Portland would be a love tap compared to what might be coming.
    Last edited by Non Sequitur; 09-18-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    "Every normal person must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin to slit throats" - H.L. Mencken

Much like Democratic Presidents moving to the center when governing (I believe it was SU that claims that), conservative justices often move towards the center as well.

So I would much rather have an SC appointee than 4 more years of Trump.