Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I don't know much about Tom Lee, but if he's well liked by this crowd then he's clearly not radically right enough for Trump to consider him.
    I don't think he's interested in ignoring stare decisis, so maybe not.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I don't know much about Tom Lee, but if he's well liked by this crowd then he's clearly not radically right enough for Trump to consider him.
    The only silver lining is that all the nominees are vetted by the Federalist Society that, while obviously super right wing, is a semi-serious organization. Otherwise we'd be staring down the barrel of Justice Steve Bannon or Justice Alex Jones. Hell- Flavor Flav, Gary Busey, or Meatloaf might even be on the menu for that matter, depending on how the Final Challenge is slanted.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Neil Gorsuch is a radical?
    Maybe I'm still a little annoyed by the "conservatives" who voted earlier this week on the losing side of that 5-4 case that ruled that the police have to get a warrant before obtaining your cell phone records.

Maybe I'm still a little annoyed by the "conservatives" who voted earlier this week on the losing side of that 5-4 case that ruled that the police have to get a warrant before obtaining your cell phone records.
    You mean the opinion delivered by the liberal John Roberts?
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

How crazy is that? That's like privacy 101.

Neil Gorsuch was being pretty radical (and xenephobic) here:

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...deportation-of
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    How crazy is that? That's like privacy 101.
    I'll tell you what else is crazy, charitable organizations (many religious-based) setting up pregnancy crisis centers in California and then all the big-hearted government lefties compelling them to advise their patients about their right to get an abortion. That's like free speech 101.

Moreover, almost as crazy as that is a public employer compelling its employees to give money to unions who then turn over money to the local and state democratic parties. Compelling political speech sounds crazy on its face, but would you believe that all four democratically appointed justices voted in favor of it. Free political speech is like free speech 201.

Neil Gorsuch was being pretty radical (and xenephobic) here:

http://thehill.com/regulation/court-...deportation-of
    Yes- we've already gloated about that one.

Yes- we've already gloated about that one.
    Wait, wasn't it like 10 minutes ago when the guy who has been putting the Stanford-derived mathematical equation from the Season 1 finale of Silicon Valley into action on you for the past two years said that being a xenophobic radical was a prerequisite to being a Trump appointee? You guys need to get your story straight.

Wait, wasn't it like 10 minutes ago when the guy who has been putting the Stanford-derived mathematical equation from the Season 1 finale of Silicon Valley into action on you for the past two years said that being a xenophobic radical was a prerequisite to being a Trump appointee? You guys need to get your story straight.
    Very confusing comment. Need this to be a bit pithier.

You mean the opinion delivered by the liberal John Roberts?
    Uh, yeah. The only conservative who correctly voted to uphold the 4th amendment.

Uh, yeah. The only conservative who correctly voted to uphold the 4th amendment.
    Gorsuch's dissent doesn't really count... which I noted elsewhere:

Justice Neil Gorsuch, in his lone dissent, expressed disappointment that the third-party doctrine was not more broadly revisited. Although Gorsuch filed one of the four dissenting opinions (the most written in a single case since Obergefell in 2015), his dissent went farther than the majority and was more like a concurrence on other grounds. The technical reason for Gorsuch deeming it a dissent was that Carpenter’s lawyers did not make the property-based argument Gorsuch favors.

Rather than focus on the reasonable expectation of privacy analysis typically engaged in by the court in recent decades, Gorsuch’s dissent argues that the court should follow a property rights-based theory of the Fourth Amendment. Under that theory, Carpenter had a property interest in his cell phone data. Gorsuch's decision to file a dissent may send a message to future defendants that without inclusion of a property-based argument his concurrence cannot be counted on.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

And:

Justice Neil Gorsuch struck an entirely different note in his lone dissent. Indeed, his dissent reads much more like a concurrence. It seems clear that while Gorsuch agreed with the majority that Carpenter deserved to win, he strongly disagreed with them about how the win should have happened.

"I would look to a more traditional Fourth Amendment approach," Gorsuch wrote. "The Fourth Amendment protects 'the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures.' True to those words and their original understanding, the traditional approach asked if a house, paper or effect was yours under law. No more was needed to trigger the Fourth Amendment." Furthermore, Gorsuch wrote, "it seems to me entirely possible a person's cell-site data could qualify as his papers or effects under existing law."

"I cannot fault" the majority "for its implicit but unmistakable conclusion that the rationale of Smith and Miller is wrong; indeed, I agree with that," Gorsuch explained. "At the same time, I do not agree with the Court's decision today to keep Smith and Miller on life support." In other words, Gorsuch would scrap these third-party precedents and have the Court start adhering to an originalist, property rights-based theory of the Fourth Amendment. That's how Gorsuch wanted Carpenter to win.

The importance of today's ruling in Carpenter v. U.S. should not be underestimated. Both the majority opinion and Gorsuch's dissent raise questions about the future viability of two key Fourth Amendment precedents. What is more, the decision itself represents a massive win for Fourth Amendment advocates. Carpenter may well be remembered as the most significant decision issued this term.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Princeps Inter Pares

Tom is a stud. I had him for IP law @ the Y and if nominated he will surely be the only Justice to have dressed up as Napoleon Dynamite on Halloween and done the Napoleon Dynamite dance on top of a desk.
    You don't know RGB as well as you think.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    good to know it was probably 6-3 on principle.

OMG! It's the end of the world as we know it:

and I feel fine.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 06-29-2018 at 07:35 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post

and I feel fine.
    That’s funny.

Could Trevor Noah be any more annoying? Can’t stand that guy.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

and I feel fine.
    LOL!

Makes me wonder how the nation even existed before Kennedy was put on the court. Libs are insufferable.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pre-Historic Man

and I feel fine.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That’s funny.

Could Trevor Noah be any more annoying? Can’t stand that guy.
    the comedy central folks are some of the smuggest in the world
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

and I feel fine.
    C'mon, Trump haters. Doesn't this alone make you want to vote for Trump in 2020?

and I feel fine.
    Watched it again.

So what exactly are the democratic senators supposed to step and fight and not allow? A nomination of any kind? I don't get it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    C'mon, Trump haters. Doesn't this alone make you want to vote for Trump in 2020?
    Hahahahahahahaha.

No.

Watched it again.

So what exactly are the democratic senators supposed to step and fight and not allow? A nomination of any kind? I don't get it.
    I guess the dems could try to hold off the GOP'ers until the big, bad "blue wave" gives them more votes in the senate... Unfortunately, it seems in the senate the dems have more to lose than to win:

Map.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...lections,_2018

You remember how many of those "rust belt" states went to Drumpf in 2016? Are those guys still pissed at the dems still?
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Watched it again.

The Daily Show answers this question:

I guess the dems could try to hold off the GOP'ers until the big, bad "blue wave" gives them more votes in the senate... Unfortunately, it seems in the senate the dems have more to lose than to win:

Map.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...lections,_2018

You remember how many of those "rust belt" states went to Drumpf in 2016? Are those guys still pissed at the dems still?
    That is a horrible graphic. How are you supposed to distinguish between the shades?

That is a horrible graphic. How are you supposed to distinguish between the shades?
    That is what you get when you get your content from a bunch of want-a-be editors.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    The Daily Show answers this question:

OMG. How on earth does this mean that "the constitution is at stake"? Aren't we simply following a constitutional process?

That is what you get when you get your content from a bunch of want-a-be editors.
    That graphic is a middle finger to color-blind people everywhere.

I am not color blind and I still can't read it.

The only silver lining is that all the nominees are vetted by the Federalist Society that, while obviously super right wing, is a semi-serious organization. Otherwise we'd be staring down the barrel of Justice Steve Bannon or Justice Alex Jones. Hell- Flavor Flav, Gary Busey, or Meatloaf might even be on the menu for that matter, depending on how the Final Challenge is slanted.
    Don’t be ridiculous. It’s like you’re not even paying attention.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.