The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    They held out for 10 months because they knew their was on way in hell they could reject him without looking like hypocritical assholes, especially Hatch. Of course, they still ended up looking like hypocritical assholes, especially Hatch.
    I'm sure they could have had a couple of "lame ducks" senators (I am looking at you Senator Corn Flake and Hatch) vote 'no' on Garland. As you have already noted for Hatch, they are already hypocritical assholes. Did you see Corn Flake when Lindsay Graham was telling the committee members off (yes, both dems and GOP'ers)? Flake was sitting there with his arm folded and a dumb look on his face... Let's watch it again!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Politics are the absolute worst. People Leftists are attacking Flake on an elevator because of his vote.
      FIFY

Two protesters who say they survived sexual assault confronted Sen. Jeff Flake in an elevator after he said he would vote to confirm Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
      https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...tor-nr-vpx.cnn

Flake should have said the same thing Lindsay Graham told the lady that did the same thing...

Of course, Flake isn't that smart.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Yeah. That would be a disaster.
        Yeah, that would just give folks a reason to keep Drumpf in the white house.
        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 09-28-2018, 09:01 AM.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I am watching the BBC feed of the hearing. For some reason, during Cruz's statement they are only showing Sen. Coons. Cruz is giving his impassioned (go with it) plea and all they are showing is Coons looking bored and drinking water and so forth. No respect for Cruz, I guess.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            I'm sure they could have had a couple of "lame ducks" senators (I am looking at you Senator Corn Flake and Hatch) vote 'no' on Garland. As you have already noted for Hatch, they are already hypocritical assholes. Did you see Corn Flake when Lindsay Graham was telling the committee members off (yes, both dems and GOP'ers)? Flake was sitting there with his arm folded and a dumb look on his face... Let's watch it again!

Graham told off Republican members of the committee?
            Last edited by falafel; 09-28-2018, 09:31 AM.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              I think you are being extremely naive here. People do this stuff for many, many reasons. First, she might not be lying in her own mind. She might be absolutely certain she is telling the truth, but still be flatly wrong. it was 36 years ago, supposedly, and it was an event that she never mentioned, not once, for over 30 years and, when she did first mention it, the contemporaneous writing that recorded it doesn't say anything about Kavanaugh. She could be manufacturing memories (it happens) or she might have gradually but erroneously concluded it was Kavanaugh, or she might just be crazy on this topic. Second, if she was attacked, speaking out might be giving her some relief, some control, some victory over the experience that she suffered. Obtaining that relief might be well worth overstating or even lying about her certainty with respect to the attacker's identity. Third, she might just be lying. It happens. I have seen it happen. I have had witnesses do it. I have seen experts do it. I have seen cops do it. And all of these under oath. I have been flummoxed when it has happened. The problem is, once you tell a story like that, it is very hard to back up. So this is why we look for corroboration. And she has none. Zero. The only thing she has been certain of is that it was Kavanaugh. There is virtually nothing else --NOTHING--that she is certain about. Fourth, you are again being very naive if you think there is not a lot of possible glory and compensation ahead for her. She will be paid to speak. She will be given employment and research opportunities. She will be a popular professor. She will be the darling of a certain segment of the political world. While she will, in the near term, be facing nuts who threaten her (like Kavanaugh also faces) in the mid and long term she will likely benefit a great deal. While she does make a credible appearance, that does not mean she is truthful or accurate.
              I think you've been right on this all along, Creek.
              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                Many people set out to drink because it lowers inhibitions. It plays out at closing time in millions of bars every night throughout the world. People hook up, men and women alike, and unfortunately sometimes guys confuse lowered inhibitions with license. When people are drunk, they don't ask permission and it only seems like sexual assault in the light of sobriety. I don't mean to trivialize sexual assault, but alcohol is a bastard and it brings out our most base thoughts and actions. So when I speak of people with drinking problems who regularly attend alcohol fueled parties I naturally assume there is an accompanying sexual component. Promiscuity goes hand in hand with alcohol abuse.
                There have been several interesting observations shared this morning, and I especially liked this one. It fits well with the idea expressed by others that neither Ford and Kavanaugh are lying, although I do believe BK blew it early on in this process by denying or downplaying his excessive drinking. I think in his and Judge's minds at the time it was harmless horseplay, but its effects on Ford were far more serious.

I'm still wondering why Ford didn't talk to anyone about this for 30 years. I think Flake did a good job of dismissing Trump's and others' argument about Ford's and her parents' failure to report it at the time (unfortunately, millions don't and perhaps this sad chapter will start to change that). But in the ensuing years, Ford spent over a decade studying clinical psychology and wrote her doctoral thesis on how children cope with interpersonal issues. It seems strange that a person trained to understand the value of therapy didn't seek that therapy for herself while she was still struggling with her issues.

Comment

• The hearing today is excruciating. Let's just vote and get it over with.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• So dems are now saying they will impeach BK if he gets confirmed to the supreme court...

NEXT STEP: DEMOCRATS PLEDGE TO INVESTIGATE KAVANAUGH, FLOAT IMPEACHMENT IF HE’S CONFIRMED

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh might keep facing political attacks from the left if he is confirmed to the nation’s highest court.

Kavanaugh faced an onslaught of attacks from Democrats and liberal activists even before Palo Alto University professor Christine Blasey Ford accused him of drunkenly trying to force himself on her while the two were in high school. Kavanaugh denied Ford’s accusation once again in an emotional testimony Thursday.

Brian Fallon, former press secretary on Hillary Clinton’s unsuccessful 2016 presidential campaign, predicted Kavanaugh “will not serve for life” if confirmed to the Supreme Court.
                    [...]
                    http://dailycaller.com/2018/09/27/de...-confirmation/

Oh no, something else to keep Maxine Waters up at night!...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I can't stand Cory Booker.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I can't stand Cory Booker.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Booker goes waaaay over his allotted time and then says he can't abide being part of the process anymore and walks out. What an ass.

Comment

• Men are absolute scum. “But the fruit came from the woman that YOU GAVE TO ME!!”

I’m confident that at some point in the indeterminate future, some homeo sapiens with a Y chromosome will take responsibility for his own conduct.

Comment

• Booker should watch and learn from Blumenthal. A compelling, rational argument. Delivered with dignity.

Comment

Disagree. He is every bit as likely to mis-remember the event as she is. Probably much more likely.
                                Which is why all of this is so unreliable and potentially damaging to the system.
                                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Working...
                                X