No announcement yet.

The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "If this were a dictatorship it would be a heck of a lot easier... as long as I'm the dictator."
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Kavanaugh likes beer... This fish likes beer:

This fish must have sexually assaulted other fish. He should never be a supreme court justice.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          RBG has probably already had her husband.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I don't know if this is true but I hope RBG's not having a serious battle with cancer... F' cancer.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Will Retire from the US Supreme Court in January, 2019

While the Nation is preoccupied with the appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, it appears there will soon be another vacancy on the US Supreme Court

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has had a re-occurrence of malignant melanoma, she has told her law clerks. Ginsburg was treated in 1999 for colon cancer and had surgery in 2009 for pancreatic cancer.

She has told key Democratic members of the Senate about her medical condition, including ranking Democratic member of the Judiciary Committee Dianne Feinstein. This explains in part the "take no prisoners" attitude of the Democrats during the Kavanaugh nomination, carefully orchestrating weak 37 year old allegations against Kavanaugh by Women he barely remembers knowing in High School and College.
            [...]
            https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...2019/3658.html
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Wow. The left is going to lose their minds.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                I don't know if this is true but I hope RBG's not having a serious battle with cancer... F' cancer.

https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...2019/3658.html
                Not seeing this reported anywhere else. Hard to believe that this one outlet would be the only one reporting, if true.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Not seeing this reported anywhere else. Hard to believe that this one outlet would be the only one reporting, if true.
                  I expect Justice Ginsburg will hold on until her dying breath, if not longer.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...news/3766.html

Yeah that’s a weird right wing “news” site — then again they were reporting this back in September and now she gets a lobectomy of her lung. Sounds like she has metastatic cancer to me.

Comment

• Ginsburg missing Supreme Court arguments for 1st time

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is missing arguments for the first time in more than 25 years as she recuperates from cancer surgery last month, the Supreme Court said.

Ginsburg was not on the bench as the court met Monday to hear arguments. It was not clear when she would return to the court, which will hear more cases on Tuesday and Wednesday, and again next week.

Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said the 85-year-old justice is continuing to recuperate and work from home after doctors removed two cancerous growths from her left lung on Dec. 21.

Ginsburg was discharged from a New York hospital on Dec. 25.

Chief Justice John Roberts said in the courtroom Monday that Ginsburg would participate in deciding the argued cases “on the basis of the briefs and transcripts of oral arguments.”
                      [...]
                      https://www.apnews.com/b1d7eb8384ef44099d63fde057c4172c

Any normal person would retire and enjoy their remaining days... not RBG!
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...mpression=true

Oh boy.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Just let me be the first to say that Amy Coney Barrett (or whoever Drumpf nominates) had a beer and touched me inappropriately. I don't remember where or when exactly it was but please remember to visit my gofundme page.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            Trump's admin likes to create as much chaos as possible.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• So Clarence Thomas suddenly says he thinks the landmark 1964 case that established a standard for a public official to have to prove there was actual malice to win a libel case should be revisited. I don't think I agree, and I don't think the rest of the court will either, but Thomas probably has a somewhat defensible legal argument to make on that one point. Maybe a public official shouldn't have to reach a higher standard than an ordinary citizen. Ok, maybe.

But of course, what Trump is going to think this means is that it should be open season for the government going after anyone who says anything about him he doesn't like.

I think Trump is ready to put the wall and immigration thing to bed now that he can claim to his base that he did what he could, and "hey! the good news is the wall has already been built!"

Now he probably moves on, and I predict that almost daily railing on free speech and press issues is the next thing Trump goes with now.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/19/polit...sby/index.html

By the way, there is no federal libel statute on the books. Libel laws are state laws. So even if this Court opinion is modified, which I think is unlikely in that it would require someone challenging it and having it work up to the Supreme Court, and for at least four other justices to agree with Thomas -- it still wouldn't necessarily mean that states couldn't keep the same high burden of proof for public officials to prove libel in that state. It would only mean they wouldn't have to.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                There may be another:

Michael Avenatti Is Representing A Woman With "Credible Information" On Kavanaugh — REPORT
                                After a new sexual misconduct allegation against SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh surfaced Sunday evening, Stormy Daniels' lawyer came forward with something else. According to his social media, Michael Avenatti is representing a woman with "credible information" on Kavanaugh and Mark Judge, Kavanaugh's friend from his formative school years. Kavanaugh has firmly denied the allegations against him. Bustle has reached out to the White House for comment on Avenatti's latest claims.

“I represent a woman with credible information regarding Judge Kavanaugh and Mark Judge,” Avenatti tweeted out on Sunday night. “We will be demanding the opportunity to present testimony to the committee and will likewise be demanding that Judge and others be subpoenaed to testify. The nomination must be withdrawn.”
                                https://www.bustle.com/p/michael-ave...eport-12014629
                                Bump. Remember when frank was injecting Avenatti right into his veins?

I guess it wasn't his fault. Avenatti was hosted on CNN and MSNBC over 100 times... EACH!

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X