RIP MCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP MCA

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, so chose the Yautz memorial one. I just finished listening to Beastie Boys audiobook. It was excellent! I was never a big BB fan, but hearing their story and the way the changed over time was fascinating. However, what makes this a great listen (better than read, IMO) is each chapter has a different narrator- Will Ferrell, Chuck D, Wanda Sykes, Elvis Costello, Amy Poehler, Jon Stewart, etc. Though there were f-bombs aplenty, surprisingly very little time spent on drugs/alcohol, and no sex at all. So if anyone has a free Audible credit, check it out, you won't be disappointed.

My favorite story was Capital Records completely blowing off the BB while they made Paul's Boutique, because all their resources were devoted to this masterpiece

Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-09-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

In fairness to Capitol Records, Donny Osmond is more talented than the Beastie Boys.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        In fairness to Capitol Records, Donny Osmond is more talented than the Beastie Boys.
        This is true. in fact, they talk a lot about not being great musicians. I was pleasantly surprised by how self-aware Mike and Adam H, seem to be. The readily admit how annoying and douchey the Fight For Your Right BB's were.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
          Anarchy. That's what the beastie's always represented to me.

I hate hearing them referred to as a hip hop group because that's not what they are. They have always been various degrees of punk, from hardcore to commercial. They just happen to rap to it.
          Can I just highlight what an absolute clueless moron this guy was/is? Seriously.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            Wasn't sure what thread to put this in, so chose the Yautz memorial one. I just finished listening to Beastie Boys audiobook. It was excellent! I was never a big BB fan, but hearing their story and the way the changed over time was fascinating. However, what makes this a great listen (better than read, IMO) is each chapter has a different narrator- Will Ferrell, Chuck D, Wanda Sykes, Elvis Costello, Amy Poehler, Jon Stewart, etc. Though there were f-bombs aplenty, surprisingly very little time spent on drugs/alcohol, and no sex at all. So if anyone has a free Audible credit, check it out, you won't be disappointed.

My favorite story was Capital Records completely blowing off the BB while they made Paul's Boutique, because all their resources were devoted to this masterpiece
            While the audio book was great, the physical book full of handwritten notes, lyrics, photos, collages, etc. is worth its weight in gold. The audio book gives you none of that. I suggest you grab the book if you're a fan.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              lol maybe I've been a little too complimentary of Paul's Boutique without giving Soldier of Love a fair shake...

Comment

RIP MCA

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                While the audio book was great, the physical book full of handwritten notes, lyrics, photos, collages, etc. is worth its weight in gold. The audio book gives you none of that. I suggest you grab the book if you're a fan.
                I'm sure you were aware, about the connection to Sonic Youth and Lucious Jackson. I wasn't. I loved the small ancedote about the crazy punks from DC stage diving at the Black Flag concert at (I think) the Paladium, led by a young Henry Rollins. I was also surprised to learn the BBs introduced Rick Rubin to Russell Simmons

Comment

lol maybe I've been a little too complimentary of Paul's Boutique without giving Soldier of Love a fair shake...
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Good summary. I posted about this book in one of the other threads and loved it. The Will Ferrel reading had me in stitches.

Comment

I'm sure you were aware, about the connection to Sonic Youth and Lucious Jackson. I wasn't. I loved the small ancedote about the crazy punks from DC stage diving at the Black Flag concert at (I think) the Paladium, led by a young Henry Rollins. I was also surprised to learn the BBs introduced Rick Rubin to Russell Simmons
                      Yeah there is so much gold in that book. Ad Rock discovering LL Cool J, one of their first gigs opening for Bad Brains, etc... I knew Kate was the drummer for Luscious Jackson and that they were on Grand Royal records. Those guys were like mini Forrest Gumps growing up where they did when they did. I have most of the old Grand Royal magazines and they're a blast to read-- so much connection to that place and time. It really makes me mournful for the Beastie Boys we lost in 9/11, which event signaled their official 'growing up' and cutting short what was their artistic pinnacle after Hello Nasty. Their post-2000 work was very off in tone and didn't carry the same creative mojo-- which I'm impressed that they readily admit in the book.

Comment

Their post-2000 work was very off in tone and didn't carry the same creative mojo-- which I'm impressed that they readily admit in the book.
                        Which they pretty much blame on the dead guy.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Which they pretty much blame on the dead guy.
                          That's right, they did... didn't they say something like he insisted on making a straight rap record (to the 5 Boroughs, which was a steeeeep drop-off from Hello Nasty) and that nobody was into it.. or that they used Pro Tools instead of their tried-and-true equipment and it messed everything up...

Whatever it was, I would have been more than happy to go down to G-son (because I would have forced them to record there) and steer them back in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                          X