Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Mole problem

  1. #1

    Default Mole problem

    For the first time ever, I'm having a mole problem this year. Several hundred square feet of the yard on one side of the house is torn up and covered in mole runs and mole hills. It appears an entire colony sprung up over the relatively mild winter.

    Any suggestions for getting rid of them? Researching my options, it looks like I can do poison (looks most promising) or traps. The traps don't look like they'd work very well, especially with the size of the infestation I've got.

  2. #2
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Flood them out
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Flood them out
    Using a garden hose?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Flood them out
    Dynamite.

  5. #5
    Heartless Bastard Indy Coug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Living Large inside the 5th Circle
    Posts
    18,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Dynamite.
    You use that after the water chases them out of the holes.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

  6. #6
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    58,325

    Default

    I have a problem with most of the mole at Red Iguana. way overrated. Amarillo is pretty good, though.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  7. #7
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    43,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I have a problem with most of the mole at Red Iguana. way overrated. Amarillo is pretty good, though.
    Agree on the Red Iguana.

    They do a pipian mole at Diego's every now and then that is very tasty. Definitely not a problem.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  8. #8

    Default

    Put peanut butter on a mouse trap near one of their holes then cover it with a large ceramic pot or bowl so that the trap is dark during the day.

  9. #9
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BYUMizzou View Post
    Using a garden hose?
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYm0c7gYyU"]Caddy Shack Gopher Scene - YouTube[/nomedia]
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  10. #10
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,393

    Default

    Use one of the smoke things. They never work but they are fun.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  11. #11
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,320

    Default

    Once you kill a critter in its tunnel, just bury the body there. As a warning to the other moles.

    Also, look to your neighbor. No sense clearing out the moles when your neighbor doesn't get rid of his. They'll just reinfect.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BYUMizzou View Post
    For the first time ever, I'm having a mole problem this year. Several hundred square feet of the yard on one side of the house is torn up and covered in mole runs and mole hills. It appears an entire colony sprung up over the relatively mild winter.

    Any suggestions for getting rid of them? Researching my options, it looks like I can do poison (looks most promising) or traps. The traps don't look like they'd work very well, especially with the size of the infestation I've got.
    Traps.

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I have a problem with most of the mole at Red Iguana.
    Did you see Cindy Crawford while you were there?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  13. #13
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Did you see Cindy Crawford while you were there?
    ::snicker:::

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BYUMizzou View Post
    For the first time ever, I'm having a mole problem this year. Several hundred square feet of the yard on one side of the house is torn up and covered in mole runs and mole hills. It appears an entire colony sprung up over the relatively mild winter.

    Any suggestions for getting rid of them? Researching my options, it looks like I can do poison (looks most promising) or traps. The traps don't look like they'd work very well, especially with the size of the infestation I've got.
    Sounds like you're making a mountain out of this.

    I'd poison.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I have a problem with most of the mole at Red Iguana. way overrated. Amarillo is pretty good, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Agree on the Red Iguana.
    If it's so overrated then why did Guy Fieri say it was 'off the hook?'

  16. #16
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    5,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    If it's so overrated then why did Guy Fieri say it was 'off the hook?'
    Does Guy ever eat anything that he doesn't think is awesome? Do they have some film somewhere of him going to restaurants that end up sucking - and he eats something and says "People pay for THIS?" How exactly does he decide where he's going to go?

    All that aside, I'd love to have that guys job. You travel to various restaurants and eat their best stuff? Right off the grill??? Sign me up!



    As for the Mole issue -

    I had moles once. I thought I would try flooding them out - there were only 2-3 holes in my yard. I stuck a hose in each, turned them on all the way, and stood around for 30 minutes while I pumped water into the ground. Nothing happened. Another 30 minutes and more of the same.

    I don't know where all of the water was going, but it wasn't filling anything - unless the moles had a large indoor pool and the moles had suckered me.

    A few days later I got some poisoned grain from a feed store and stuck it in a couple of the holes - and the moles were gone forever.

  17. #17

    Default

    After 7 years in this house trying everything else, I may or may not have gone to Wyoming. I may or may not have buried firework artillery shells in gopher tunnels. I definitely have not seen any sign of the vermin since any treatment that may have been applied to the affected tunnels. Just call me Carl Spackler, but it appears the vermin may not have survived as in the movie.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    After 7 years in this house trying everything else, I may or may not have gone to Wyoming. I may or may not have buried firework artillery shells in gopher tunnels. I definitely have not seen any sign of the vermin since any treatment that may have been applied to the affected tunnels. Just call me Carl Spackler, but it appears the vermin may not have survived as in the movie.
    Well that may not be the real thing, but I do approve of your methods!

  19. #19
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    17,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    After 7 years in this house trying everything else, I may or may not have gone to Wyoming. I may or may not have buried firework artillery shells in gopher tunnels. I definitely have not seen any sign of the vermin since any treatment that may have been applied to the affected tunnels. Just call me Carl Spackler, but it appears the vermin may not have survived as in the movie.
    That is something you may or may not want to take a video the next time you do it and post. And if those firecrackers don't do the trick I suggest using 164 lbs of tannerite...

    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    That is something you may or may not want to take a video the next time you do it and post. And if those firecrackers don't do the trick I suggest using 164 lbs of tannerite...

    I've seen too many videos get people in trouble, Goblin Valley anyone, to ever take a video of anything I do that may not be entirely approved by legislative bodies.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BYUMizzou View Post
    For the first time ever, I'm having a mole problem this year. Several hundred square feet of the yard on one side of the house is torn up and covered in mole runs and mole hills. It appears an entire colony sprung up over the relatively mild winter.

    Any suggestions for getting rid of them? Researching my options, it looks like I can do poison (looks most promising) or traps. The traps don't look like they'd work very well, especially with the size of the infestation I've got.
    Well?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  22. #22

    Default

    ha.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  23. #23
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Sounds like you're making a mountain out of this.

    I'd poison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Does Guy ever eat anything that he doesn't think is awesome? Do they have some film somewhere of him going to restaurants that end up sucking - and he eats something and says "People pay for THIS?" How exactly does he decide where he's going to go?

    All that aside, I'd love to have that guys job. You travel to various restaurants and eat their best stuff? Right off the grill??? Sign me up!



    As for the Mole issue -

    I had moles once. I thought I would try flooding them out - there were only 2-3 holes in my yard. I stuck a hose in each, turned them on all the way, and stood around for 30 minutes while I pumped water into the ground. Nothing happened. Another 30 minutes and more of the same.

    I don't know where all of the water was going, but it wasn't filling anything - unless the moles had a large indoor pool and the moles had suckered me.

    A few days later I got some poisoned grain from a feed store and stuck it in a couple of the holes - and the moles were gone forever.
    Some moles showed up at a rental house I was trying to sell. I considered traps, but there were a few reasons that didn't seem like the best option:

    - I'd have to go check the traps repeatedly
    - The traps would be visible to anyone viewing the house
    - I'd have to dispose of any captured critters.

    So I went with the poison instead. Worked like a charm.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  24. #24
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    4,719

    Default

    I like a good chicken mole. hint of chocolate and spicy.

  25. #25
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Mole Spikes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013U3YI5G...3U3YI5G5203590

    I bought a bigger one years ago and it finally got rid of the gophers. I recently found the thing buried in my lawn. Can't remember if I pried the thing out of there yet or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •