No announcement yet.

Immunizations or the lack thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty or so years of flu shot and I've never had the flu or anything like unto it.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Twenty or so years of flu shot and I've never had the flu or anything like unto it.
      Me too.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Last year we were talking to some friends and the entire family had the flu. We asked if they had gotten flu shots and they replied "No, we don't believe that they actually work." OK then...
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

But how's the brain damage?
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            I didn't get a flu shot because I don't want to get sick with something that isn't the flu but makes you feel lousy anyway.
            A real influenza infection is orders of magnitude worse than the mild reaction associated with the flu shot. Truth is, most people who think they've had the flu actually haven't. So when your only frame of reference is the flu shot and a mild upper respiratory infection, it's easy to not understand just how sick the flu can make you.
            "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
              A real influenza infection is orders of magnitude worse than the mild reaction associated with the flu shot. Truth is, most people who think they've had the flu actually haven't. So when your only frame of reference is the flu shot and a mild upper respiratory infection, it's easy to not understand just how sick the flu can make you.
              im not a big fan of mild upper respiratory infections, either, which is why I skip the flu shot.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I didn't get a flu shot because I don't want to get sick with something that isn't the flu but makes you feel lousy anyway.
                You don't get the flu! Just the symptoms!

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                  You don't get the flu! Just the symptoms!
                  Also, the real flu is way worse!
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/5...fects.html.csp
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Sad story.

1/2 the country gets a flu shot and 140 have a "serious side effect." That is some bad luck-- even if the shot did not cause it. I can't imagine having a kid go through something like that. It would probably kill me.

I will still get my kids their flu shot every year. I like those odds, even if the story is unimaginably tragic.
                      Last edited by Vic Vega; 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM.

Comment

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Had to get four immunization shots today in preparation for a trip abroad. That tetanus shot is the worst. And how often do you need them? I swear I've had at least 10 of them in 22 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Had to get four immunization shots today in preparation for a trip abroad. That tetanus shot is the worst. And how often do you need them? I swear I've had at least 10 of them in 22 years.
                            Recommended that you get one every 10 years.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                              Recommended that you get one every 10 years.
                              That's what I was thinking. I just looked up my medical info online, and my last tetanus shot was 9/5/2013. I'll have to ask about it this weekend.

Comment

I talked to one of our PA's last night, and he said there is no reason I would need a tetanus shot more than once every ten years no matter where I was travelling. So my guess is the technician made a mistake in reading my immunizations. I'm going to do my own checking from now on whenever they want to give me shots. So checking my record online, I see that I have had a tetanus shot no less than 6 times in the last 22.5 years.

My body didn't like the shots this time around. I got an hour of sleep last night if I was lucky.

Comment

Working...
                                X