Immunizations or the lack thereof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immunizations or the lack thereof

This is one topic that I have an irrational anger about. The anti-immunization crowd just pisses me off.

From a friend's FaceBook wall this morning:

My dear friend lost her newborn daughter last night to pertusis. Please immunize so that those who can't be yet don't have to pay the price!!!
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Im totally with you on the immunization issue, but the baby easily could have picked up pertussis from an immunized adult. Pertussis immunity wanes and if you haven't received a tetanus shot recently in an ER that combines them, you're probably not immune either.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Am I misreading that post? It seems to be encouraging immunization, not anti-immunization?
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        Im totally with you on the immunization issue, but the baby easily could have picked up pertussis from an immunized adult. Pertussis immunity wanes and if you haven't received a tetanus shot recently in an ER that combines them, you're probably not immune either.
        Good to know. I had a tetanus shot just a month or two ago so I am probably good (if it is normally combined I guess).
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Am I misreading that post? It seems to be encouraging immunization, not anti-immunization?
          I'm not upset about the post ... the death. Thought from what ER says maybe that is misguided too.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            This is one topic that I have an irrational anger about. The anti-immunization crowd just pisses me off.

From a friend's FaceBook wall this morning:

I usually question the validity of third person accounts from Facebook that are more like twelfth person accounts. Having said that, kids do die.

Interestingly, I've seen more die from influenza than any other vaccine preventable disease in the young.
            "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Good to know. I had a tetanus shot just a month or two ago so I am probably good (if it is normally combined I guess).
              They aren't automatically combined. Doctors have to order them that way. If they're following guidelines, they will, but that's far from automatic (if you're getting an antibiotic for your simple bronchitis or sinusitis, or your kid is for an ear infection, that's a good clue that either you're an annoying patient/parent or your doctor doesn't read guidelines). Only two of the five in our group routinely order the pertussis component; in the other hospitals where I work, even fewer do. Ask for it.

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
              Interestingly, I've seen more die from influenza than any other vaccine preventable disease in the young.
              This is true.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                That doesn't excuse the vaccine preventable deaths.

Comment

That doesn't excuse the vaccine preventable deaths.

Huh?

My point is that there are many parents that get all their kids immunized for the "routine" ones, but they don't bring them in for the annual flu shot.
                  "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

Dear teachers and parents of students at <high school>

A student attending <high school> was recently diagnosed with pertussis. Pertussis (whooping cough) is a contagious disease characterized by cold symptoms such as a runny nose and an irritating cough. This infection can be life-threatening in small children. In previously immunized children, teenagers, and adults it frequently presents as a very persistent and sometime severe cough that lasts for weeks. This can be spread to others, including unimmunized infants.

We do advise that for the next few weeks parents monitor their children for any symptoms that could be pertussis, as listed above. If any symptoms occur, we recommend the child be tested by their health clinician. It is important to let the clinician know that the child has been exposed to a confirmed case of pertussis.

A booster vaccine (Tdap) is also now available to teenagers and adults. This vaccine is recommended as neither the vaccine given childhood nor the illness creates a lifelong immunity to the disease. Your child may have already received this as a required vaccine upon entry to the 7th grade; if that is the case, then your child should have sufficient protection against this exposure. Regardless of the vaccine history, if your child should have the symptoms of pertussis, please see your health clinician.

By notifying you of this possible exposure, we are trying to control the spread and prevent new cases of this illness. If you have any questions about signs or symptoms of this illness, please feel free to contact Lisa Guerra, R.N., Epidemiology Coordinator, Utah County Health Department at 801-851-7037
                    I can't wait for the Polio outbreak.

Comment

I can't wait for the Polio outbreak.
                      I work with a guy that had polio as a kid, he just rolled by. Polio scares me, but then again so does influenza. 1918 style would kill so many people we could not fathom it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        I work with a guy that had polio as a kid, he just rolled by. Polio scares me, but then again so does influenza. 1918 style would kill so many people we could not fathom it.
                        Agreed. I have often thought that if there is ever going to be an actual Armageddon, it will come in the form of some sort of epidemic like that.

Comment

Agreed. I have often thought that if there is ever going to be an actual Armageddon, it will come in the form of some sort of epidemic like that.
                          Don't forget the Zombie Apocalypse. That will get us first.

Comment

The Zombie apocalypse will be CAUSED by an epidemic. Don't you watch the Walking Dead?

Comment

lord knows i'm a hell of a lot more prepared for zombies than the flue
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                              X