The Elizabeth Warren v. Scott Brown thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    My time in NYC makes it impossible for me to vote for Booker or Gillibrand. When NY/NJ senators are speaking to their own voters, they are at their most insane. Warren and Sanders are nonstarters. I could probably vote for Biden. At this point if it is anyone else vs trump I'll go third party for the second time in my life (and in back to back elections!).

Maybe Bloomberg will get in the race.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I’d vote for Bloomberg, but first I’d buy an eight year supply of Mexican Coca Cola.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      What about Beto? That dude can raise money and seems like a team player! He is like an Hispanic version of Obama.
      Love his breakfast burritos even if I know full well I'm going to pay for it later.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
        Love his breakfast burritos even if I know full well I'm going to pay for it later.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Please make it Biden. I can't stand Spartacus.
          who is spartacus?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
            bacon and egg + a horchata. yes plz senor.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              bacon and egg + a horchata. yes plz senor.
              very solid order
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                very solid order
                And then sometimes eventually not so solid.

Comment

• IMG_0044.jpg

She persists!

Comment

• The 1/1024th native american heritage has been solidified in the conservative circles, even though it does not represent what Warren's test determined at all. Trump has, of course, masterfully played on it. Warren simply cannot win on this issue. If she is going to have a national political future, she needs to drop anything involved about her heritage.

Here's a thread that touches on the ignorance of the media handling this case:

As I said before, a huge grain of salt is needed interpreting the genetics of ancestry. The word "DNA" has become iron-clad in today's culture, yet ancestry determination based on DNA analysis rests on a lot of assumptions. I don't understand most of it, and hardly anyone reporting on it does either.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      The 1/1024th native american heritage has been solidified in the conservative circles, even though it does not represent what Warren's test determined at all. Trump has, of course, masterfully played on it. Warren simply cannot win on this issue. If she is going to have a national political future, she needs to drop anything involved about her heritage.

Here's a thread that touches on the ignorance of the media handling this case:

As I said before, a huge grain of salt is needed interpreting the genetics of ancestry. The word "DNA" has become iron-clad in today's culture, yet ancestry determination based on DNA analysis rests on a lot of assumptions. I don't understand most of it, and hardly anyone reporting on it does either.
                      The Elizabeth Warren situation certainly highlights much of the absurdity of identity preferences included in the Affirmative Action agenda. Attempting to take into account historical disadvantages when evaluating folks for jobs, college admissions etc sounds real good- but in application it is a bit more difficult. How do folks fairly really evaluate the negative impact if historical disadvantages when doing little more than asking about your identity? It is absurd. Whatever her real percentage of Native American, I do not believe she was raised in the abject and hopeless situations one finds on many Reservations and which is the logic behind identity preferences. She did not suffer from the disadvantages the preferences she took advantage of are meant to correct. I do hope this negatively impacts popular opinion on the fairness and necessity of these programs. Having such an easy example of that absurdity being one of the most outspoken supporters of those programs will not be good for the affirmative action agenda.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        The Elizabeth Warren situation certainly highlights much of the absurdity of identity preferences included in the Affirmative Action agenda. Attempting to take into account historical disadvantages when evaluating folks for jobs, college admissions etc sounds real good- but in application it is a bit more difficult. How do folks fairly really evaluate the negative impact if historical disadvantages when doing little more than asking about your identity? It is absurd. Whatever her real percentage of Native American, I do not believe she was raised in the abject and hopeless situations one finds on many Reservations and which is the logic behind identity preferences. She did not suffer from the disadvantages the preferences she took advantage of are meant to correct. I do hope this negatively impacts popular opinion on the fairness and necessity of these programs. Having such an easy example of that absurdity being one of the most outspoken supporters of those programs will not be good for the affirmative action agenda.
                        I agree with a lot of this. I was about to say 'as it pertains to Warren', as I considered her definitely not disadvantaged. Then I realized I didn't know any of her background, so I looked it up. Sounds like she was raised in a lower/middle income family. I'm still not sure if her stated heritage helped her career. Apparently the Globe investigated the issue, and they couldn't find any evidence that her stated heritage helped her at Harvard. It almost sounds like Harvard was using it more to help their credentials, rather than the other way around. Who knows.

I should stop, I'm sounding like a Warren apologist. But I'm reacting to how fast her story and the DNA test has been mischaracterized (though she certainly shares some of the blame with her statements), and how solidified it is becoming in certain media. Nothing is true anymore, it's whatever can help a political side that gets trumpeted the loudest.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Ouch...

I am a Native American. I have some questions for Elizabeth Warren

Elizabeth Warren released the results of a DNA test that suggests she has distant Native American heritage -- but that doesn't change anything for me, and other Natives like me, for that matter. My question still stands: Elizabeth Warren, where the hell have you been?

Seriously, let's not waste any time here, because I have a lot of questions.

Why didn't she say anything about the literal attacks on human rights and treaty violations during our fight against the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota in 2016? While water protectors were being shot with water from cannons in freezing temperatures, while dogs were set on Natives protecting their ancestors' graves, and while Natives and allies were locked into "dog kennels," Warren's silence was deafening. While she eventually weighed in with a statement on Facebook, that was rightly and widely dismissed as too little, too late.

Why, up until only earlier this year, hasn't Warren said anything about police brutality in Indian country? Natives are more likely to die at the hands of police then any other demographic, yet for years, her voice -- her allegedly Native voice -- was nowhere to be found.

Why, up until only earlier this year, hasn't she said anything about sexual abuse in Indian country? Native women are 2.5 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than women of any other group, and yet not a peep from Warren about the attack on the people she claims to be a part of.
                          [...]
                          For years, when I was the culture editor at Indian Country Today Media Network, we requested interviews with Warren, but not once did she accept our numerous invitations for comment or explanation regarding her alleged ancestry. She simply ignored us.
                          [...]
                          When we needed her, she didn't lace up. She didn't show up.

It's not enough to claim to be Native. You must also be there for your people, be a part of the community, and not only when it's convenient or when you want something -- like the presidency.
                          https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/opini...ith/index.html
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            I agree with a lot of this. I was about to say 'as it pertains to Warren', as I considered her definitely not disadvantaged. Then I realized I didn't know any of her background, so I looked it up. Sounds like she was raised in a lower/middle income family. I'm still not sure if her stated heritage helped her career. Apparently the Globe investigated the issue, and they couldn't find any evidence that her stated heritage helped her at Harvard. It almost sounds like Harvard was using it more to help their credentials, rather than the other way around. Who knows.

I should stop, I'm sounding like a Warren apologist. But I'm reacting to how fast her story and the DNA test has been mischaracterized (though she certainly shares some of the blame with her statements), and how solidified it is becoming in certain media. Nothing is true anymore, it's whatever can help a political side that gets trumpeted the loudest.
                            I agree that it was likely Harvard and Penn looking for diversity than it was Warren using it to her advantage. However, she could have stopped it. I suspect she regrets not doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              And then sometimes eventually not so solid.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                ..... Having such an easy example of that absurdity being one of the most outspoken supporters of those programs will not be good for the affirmative action agenda.
                                I'm just waiting for dudes to start "identifying" as women in order to fit in an affirmative action slot.

Comment

Working...
                                X